Can you visualise youself as a slim person?

Mrs Pink

Banned
I have a problem with this - it's been 20 years since I was a healthy BMI (and even then I thought I was fat, compared to my size 8 pals!:sigh:) And I was often told (before I got undeniably fat!) "You carry it well, you're not meant to be skinny, you wouldn't look right if you were thin" etc - and half of me thinks thats right.... because I simply can't imagine myself as a slim person. Does anyone else feel like that? And how can we change it? (presuming it is a good idea to change it?!?!)

because I simply can't imagine myself as a slim person.

Nor can I, and I'm told I'm slim.:confused:

(presuming it is a good idea to change it?!?!)

Good bit there;) For me, and I realise that I'm in the minority here, it doesn't matter. If I want to look slim, then I'm just saying that I want others to see me as slim.

I couldn't really care less what they think as long as I feel well and can see a long life ahead of me.

Now...I'll rephrase the question just for me :D Can I visualise myself being healthy? Yep,

That's better;)

I have a problem with this - it's been 20 years since I was a healthy BMI (and even then I thought I was fat, compared to my size 8 pals!:sigh:) And I was often told (before I got undeniably fat!) "You carry it well, you're not meant to be skinny, you wouldn't look right if you were thin" etc - and half of me thinks thats right.... because I simply can't imagine myself as a slim person. Does anyone else feel like that? And how can we change it? (presuming it is a good idea to change it?!?!)

I am now 'slim' but I look in the mirror and although part of me accepts I look better, the other still sees Tracey, and like you it's the dumpy one who's friends are all thin! My best friend is my rock! (she is also a stick insect) We've been best friends since we were 6, so 34 years:eek: She has only ever known the fat Tracey, she now says to me that she still can't take her eyes off me as the difference is so strange, and if she thinks about me the image in her mind is still the fat me too!

So I guess if it's difficult for those around us to imagine us thin, and they can see us without our own distorted self image goggles, then maybe it'll always be hard for us.

Tracey
x

Does anyone ever have days when they look in the mirror and they do think they're slim?

I recently put on some jogging bottoms that I hadn't been able to wear in ages. They are hipsters and I thought I looked great in them. I'm about 11 stone 11 and 5 feet 4.5 inches tall so not grossly overweight but not slim either. I told my husband I thought I looked really good and said to him that I bet others would still see me as a bit of a fatty though and he replied that I looked good but he supposed others would regard me as fat still.

He wasn't being horrid - just truthful and he knows I have insisted I don't want platitudes and that I want the truth (wish he'd been more honest ages ago and told me about my weight rather than telling me he loves me anyway).

I just feel sometimes that I have a bit of a distorted image about what I do look like so how will I ever know when I am seeing the real image? (IFSWIM).

Hey Sweetpea

Since last year I've lost 2 and half stone and I am only now just starting to really see it in myself.

It shocks me when I see myself in the mirror now, I think to myself "s**t I am so F**king skinny now!

However as good as I feel it is just not enough. I still hate my belly and I'm still obese according the bmi. So I have to stick with the diet and carry on to my target, which is still 3 stone away... I'll get there, one day...

But I worry I'll still see myself as this fat person. I worry that by not addressing this sooner I may have screwed my head forever.

I guess though whatever we have to put that to one side and just on with our diets regardless...

Luv CC xx xx xx

I don't think I could ever visualise myself as a slim person. I've been obese for so long and before that, I had a distorted image of myself and THOUGHT I was obese (left school 5' 2" and 9.5st - obese??).

Being fat has not only become what I am - but who I am. For decades it has defined me.This will be the toughest nut to crack. Its one thing to lose the physical fat - quite another to lose the 'mental' fat. I just know that if I EVER get to bloody goal (a seemingly impossible task) I won't be able to see myself as a slim person but as a fat one who is slim 'until she gets fat again'. :sigh:

Russiandoll - I am with you on this one.....

Throughout my childhood I was picked on by my (skinny) siblings for being 'chubby' - something which infuriates me now, as looking a photos I was actually very normal. I think this is where my 'fat' mindset set in.

Since leaving school I have pretty much been a size 14, and have felt fat and thin within that size.

Even at my slimmest (as an adult) at about 11st11lbs I felt great in myself, but was far from being 'slim'. Still a curvy (but less bulging!) size 14. And my bmi was still then way too much.

Anyway, can't wait to feel what it's like. To be able to eat in public & not worry that people are looking at me thinking, "Cor, look at that big fat woman filling her face!".

aww pony its like ur in my head!! i cud have written that post!! i cant imagine myself as being slim either although i was kindly informed by a cousin of mine a few weeks ago that i wasnt fat any more, just plump. she meant well i suppose!!

Easy answer: Nope!

I just can't imagine myself as slim partly because I never have been slim! If I look at pictures of my mum (who has always been 8/10 and was a 6 when she got married :eek:) who was the spit of me when she was younger then I can kind of imagine what it would be like.

Thinking about it now I think this may be why I am struggling, I just can't see a light at the end of the tunnel, I don't know what I am slimming for. Thought provoking.

I can visualise myself skinny because though I was big as a kid and teenager I did spend most of my 20's being a size 14/16 which is the right size for me. I suppose I didnt lose weight over the last 8 years because I couldnt see myself as big! but deep inside I must have done as I have also avoided a camera for 8 years as I didnt believe what the photographs said!

I am exploring new ground though, I have not been a size 12 or 14 in my 30's so I do not know what it will look like...but I am eager to find out!

I only just found this thread. No I can't and I still call myself fat and think I am huge. I am still far from slim but I am the 'average' size, size 14-16. Last week I picked up a lifesize cut out of me at my biggest and I stood next to it a looked in the mirror. When I stopped laughing I could SEE the difference and I found myself feeling sorry for the cardboard me! My friend said to me "NOW do you see that you are not that size anymore?"

Yesterday I got a pair of work trousers in the size I was when I started. They are massive and I go from thinking 'no WAY did I fill those' to remembering that they were really tight on me and when I bent over I couldn't breathe!

I also thought I was meant to be big and I still have a small part of me that thinks I will never be slim but hope that one day I will stand next to the lifesize fat me and SEE that I got there

I have a "vision board" it is basically a corkboard with images of things I want in life.

I have pics of a nice house, a boat, my dream car, Maria from Coronation Street (lol jk) and I even have a pic, and this sounds lame, of my head on an in shape body.

I know it sounds lame, but I find it helpful, it is above my computer desk (I work from home) and I can't help but se it constantly through the day.

I have found it helps.

I think i'm completely insane !! - i feel like a skinny minny right now lmao I'm more than 10 stone overweight!! but because i've already lost over 2 stone and i'm wearing new clothes my tummy feels the flattest its been in a long time. I guess that because i feel so happy inside and proud of myself i dont feel the usual fat knacker feelings i usually do - long may it continue - i dont care how deluded i am i'm really happy today!!

I sometimes am deluded I think that I am fatter then I actually am, and sometimes I feel slimmer because some clothes look better on me than others, I know I have a healthy BMI but my stomache feels huge. I just hope I get to my target since I havent been looseing anything for a while.

Back