Chinese Takeaway

:DHaving a chinese tonight and this was sooo helpful. Thanks. Really looking forward to my chicken chow mein.

I know in the book it lists Seaweed as a SuperFree food, but I'm guessing this doesn't apply to the crispy seaweed you get from the chinese??? :rolleyes:

x

SarJay84 said:
I know in the book it lists Seaweed as a SuperFree food, but I'm guessing this doesn't apply to the crispy seaweed you get from the chinese??? :rolleyes:

x

No it won't :( the seaweed is usually deep fried curly kale anyway.

x

sadly not :cry: - it's my favourite and I'm going to a chinese buffet this weekend - excellent list above, now what to have?

This is a very helpful thread. My mum had an op yesterday (nothing life threatening) but is a bit low, so going to drive over and join her for her usual Friday treat of a chinese takeaway.

They usually have foo yung. Any idea how many syns that'd be??

Hi all be careful counting your values the chicken chow mein from my chinese weighs in at around 720g so almost twice the amount of syns listed and this is the same at all the chineses around our area.

Last edited:
Most chinese meal cartons are not the 340g size though, can be double the weight 600-700g so make sure you check before you tuck in!! ;)

I weigh mine before I tuck in, any extra someone else eats.what about chicken fried rice. Or beef fried rice? I think Chinese is the best takeaway you can get others are way to high in syns.

I'm so sick of eating crap and regretting it afterwards!

I've just eaten cheese and beans on toast so thats all my HEB and A gone for the day! Obviously I'll have to be on a green day now but we have decided to have one last treat tonight and yup you guessed it its a chinese takeaway!

Any suggestions for a lowish syn meal on green please anyone???

x-x-x

Veg chow main would be low x

It's good to know that I can still have chinese food if I want to. Thanks for all the information! :)

This is a very helpful thread. My mum had an op yesterday (nothing life threatening) but is a bit low, so going to drive over and join her for her usual Friday treat of a chinese takeaway.

They usually have foo yung. Any idea how many syns that'd be??

Hope your mum's feeling better.

I'd echo the question on the egg foo yung though - I usually have the mushroom version, and would be grateful for any ideas on its' syn value!

Chinese takeaway​

EE Red Green​

Soup, Chicken & Sweetcorn, per serving 7½, 7½, 7½

Chicken Chow Mein, average portion, 380g serving 7, 11½, 7

Chicken & Mushroom, average portion, 340g serving 5½,5½,11

Sweet & Sour Chicken, average portion, 350g serv 8½,8½,17

Chicken & Cashew Nuts, average portion, 330g serv 8½,8½,18

Chicken in Oyster Sauce, average portion, 375g serv 4½,4½,15

Chicken in BlackBean Sauce, average portion, 360g serv 5,5,14

ChickenChop Suey & Noodles,average portion 300g serv 5½, 9, 5½

Sweet & Sour Chicken in Batter, average portion, 320g serving 17½,17½,25½

Special Fried Rice with Chicken, Pork & Prawns, average portion, 310g serving 9½, 17, 9½

Beef Chow Mein, average portion, 450g serving 8½, 13½, 8½

Beef with Mushrooms, average portion, 300g serving 4½, 4½, 19½

Beef in Black Bean Sauce, average portion, 360g serving 5, 5, 16½

Beef with Peppers/Onions/Water Chestnuts, average portion, 350g serving 12, 12, 14

Prawn Sesame Toasts, 2 pieces 7, 7, 7

Sweet & Sour Prawns, average portion, 200g serving 9, 9, 12

Ginger & Garlic Prawns with Noodles, average portion, 440g serving 5, 14½, 5

Prawns in Batter with a Sweet Chilli Sauce, average portion, 300g serving 19, 19, 22½

Special Fried Rice with Chicken, Pork & Prawns, average portion, 310g serving 9½, 17, 9½
Rice, fried, average portion, 300g serving 4, 21½, 4

Rice, pilau, average portion, 180g serving 2½, 14, 2½

Rice, plain, boiled, average portion, 300g serving Free, 20, Free

Sweet & Sour Pork, average portion, 325g serving 15, 15, 23½

Peking Duck with Pancakes, average portion, 375g serving 30, 30, 52½

Stir Fried Mixed Vegetables, average portion, 340g serving 6½, 6½, 6½

Non-branded Chinese Restaurant, Crispy Duck, average portion, 125g serving 10½, 10½, 20½

Thank you for this as love chinese food as well as Indian, lol

Thanks for the list of chinese take aways!! Very useful as i love chinese!! Perfect saturday night treat ;) xx

Here is something that I bet you never thought of:

The reason that the Chow Mein is synned is because of the vegetable oil it is cooked in, the veg oil is used as its a quicker way of cooking it BUT if you ask the person in the takeaway to cook it in Soy Sauce instead which is free on the plan then you have a free Chow Mein!! Ive been eating these for ages and I think they actually taste better cooked in just soy sauce.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Back