Stabilization CONSOSTAB (shared diary)

anjuschka

Dukan Ancestor!!
Right, I've been promising to start this diary for weeks so I'd better do it now. Meanwhile please see my Conso diary for day-to-day updates for now. I'll also post this in small pieces as I've been saving up quite a few disjointed thoughts on the theme..

Stabilization: we all agree that the guidance we get is minimal. I have read and re-read the chapter in the book, the ones before and after. Reading between the lines, I can't see me going back to 'eating what I want'. Maybe eating what I like SOME OF THE TIME. A relaxed version of Conso.

End of Diary :rolleyes:

The blurb on the back of the book sums up the phases: [...] Step 4: Stabilisation: Eat what you like without regaining weight by following 3 simple rules including the famous 'protein Thursdays'

But really, the *five* rules that the good Doctor the lists in his book for Stabilization are as follows (p155):

1. Go back to eating what you want six days out of seven, while keeping the consolidation foods as your safety base and platform
  2. Hold onto everything you have learnt and the good habits you have acquired while completing the whole programme
  3. Enshrine Protein Thursdays as the day that protects you for the rest of your life
  4. Live your life as if lifts and escalators did not exist
  5. Three tablespoons of oatbran a day for the rest of your life.
Now this is all very sensible, and I guess 3-5 are the 'three rules' referred to above BUT I can't quite see points 1 and 2 working in perfect harmony unless you are a saint (and didn't need to diet in the first place).

My main focus at the moment is point 1: I will not / can not be going to eating what I want all the time. End of story. Especially not from one week to the other. But he is also telling us that we will be sticking with a version of Conso (p138)...

Now I have not searched, and not seen any first hand accounts of people reaching and settling into Stabilisation, I'm sure Jo can enlighten us (with positive examples please!)

I've already started I think, I am morphing my conso into Stabilisation by carrying on as usual but a bit more relaxed. This being post-Christmas the timing was not ideal and there are still too many treats kicking around :eek:

I will be having 1 or 2 'eat what you like' sensible meals a week, have one nice dessert. If 'necessary' I will allow myself real meals, social occasions and the like. No guilt but not all the time either. I never drank much so sticking to weekends-only, one glass an evening should not be too hard.

The rest of the days I'll stick with my current version of the Conso diet: low fat protein, veg, 1-2 slices of bread or similar (checking not to exceed the 60gr), one portion of cheese (any cheese, I've just bought Brie!). 2 items of fruit. One small 'extra' (a biscuit etc) a day.

I'll see how that goes and then I can gradually increase if there is leeway. I think I am already moving back to other proportions: healthy eating guidelines say your plate should be 1/2 veg, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs, and that's what I am having on PV-carb meals now.

On the other hand the PP days now are supposed to be ultra-strict, which is already getting me down so I am watching how Laura is getting on with putting in 2 PV (no carbs) days instead.

But what about the everyday foods we have cut out and that really need to be introduced back in order to make everyday life a bit simpler:

Sugar: this is going to be a tricky one. I have always used Splenda in drinks and soft drinks were never my weakness but non-diet (but low fat) yoghurt will have to return to my life.

Fat: having to limit 'normal fat' meats (even lean ones but too fatty from a diet point of view) for the rest of our lives is just not going to happen. I guess this is where we need to exercise restraint in portion size - whereas low-fat is unlimited, normal fat is not. Mmmhh I have not had any bacon since June...

I can see myself turning into a calorie counter :(

Ok I have run out of steam for now, thanks for listening to my stream of consciousness :eek:

Great stuff, Anja! I'm thinking along the same lines myself. I just don't see how you can go back to eating "what you want", even with the "3 simple rules", and not putting on weight again. What he really seems to mean is for Stab to be a modified version of Conso. He should have stated this more clearly and not left so much ambiguity.

Mind you, it's true to say that everyone is different and we'll all have to find our own ways of stabilising the weight. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

Ooooh, this is so exciting! It's almost as though you and Laura are like the first men on the moon - true pioneers! ;-)

I think his "hold onto everything you have learnt" line holds the key to stabilisation. And as to the bacon, I have been eating bacon throughout the whole dietanfd and it didnt affect my loss (maybe its whats putting it on now hehe).

Im sure you will be fine and make the right food choices. I look forward to seeing how you go.

I think we all have trigger foods where one just isn't enough. I know mine was cheese (have sorted that one now) and I'm ashamed how much I used to get through and chocolate (haven't really had any apart from Christmas, so will remain cautious but I think that's gone too). In any case, I can't/won't go back there.

The big problem for me was that husband does about half the cooking. The saving grace is that he decided to diet too, so he now does Dukan-friendly meals unless we have friends eating here (that's when the gala/carb meals have come in handy) so it should be easy enough to stick to healthy, low-carb meals

Although I will no longer officially be on phase III, it will remain pretty constant I think. The gala/carb meals will be kept for when we are invited out/have friends here (so maybe none for a fortnight then 3 in a week). I'll lower protein amounts and increase veg but no way will I have almost-daily carbs although I won't restrict fruit (and I love the stuff) and I'll add a portion of cheese in if I want it. I'm hoping the 2 PVs work because I really don't want to have to do a PP day as suggested.

That sounds very sensible, Laura. The 40g portion has also managed to satisfy my cheese cravings, and whilst it's a bit of a pain to have to weigh out that amount, it's well worth it for keeping things under control. I hope to stick with that through Stab (which shouldn't be for at least a few months yet for me).

Chocolate is/was always a huge trouble spot for me. I find it extremely difficult to resist. I was thinking about having one very delicious chocolate dessert or a specified amount of chocolate each week. As long as I can maintain my willpower, I hope that will help me to keep the lid on my chocolate bingeing.

I'm no longer craving carbs like I used to. The thing is that we tend to have been encouraged for such a long time to eat a portion of carbs to accompany every meal - it's such an accepted way of eating, so breaking that habit becomes a bit of a psychological battle. After being on Dukan, I'm really not bothered about having carbs with a meal. It's nice to have them occasionally, and I'm enjoying my two small, thin slices of wholemeal bread 6 times a week, but I don't feel the need to have them with all meals. Quite liberating, really! Again, though, I enjoy sandwiches for lunch so anticipate keeping to the same Conso bread ration after Conso.

Maybe this is what Dr D meant?

Yes I think this is exactly what he means.

"I have taught you portion control for the tricky items - now stick to it!"

Yes cheese and bread absolutely do-able. Chocolate per se was never an issue (but see below)

I do virtually all the cooking in our house these days (we used to share 50/50 before kids and me working part-time), so that's okay but at the same time I am also cooking *for* the kids and I'd like to eat the same as them, but it needs to be nutritious enough for them. They are so active (and skinny) I think they must need double my calorific intake ;) so I have to work out how they're going to get it. Luckily we hardly have sweets and chocolate (I still have quite a few sweets left over from DD1 birthday party last summer and they have hardly been touched, ditto some Christmas chocolate coins someone gave as a present). Of course I make sure they have Carbs at every mealtime and healthy snacks, and whole milk, yoghurt etc. btu am wondering if my leaner family cooking will be a problem? Except for thursdays when they definitely get something different from me...

Now I like baking, especially *my own* baking, that's where my problem will lie no doubt (already does). It's part of my life / part of my kids life so I can't just stop - and if we made it I need to eat *some* of it :eek:. I suppose I could have 1 piece of cake instead of a portion of dinner time carbs. Balanced diet it is NOT QUITE...

My husband isn't on the diet and I just add carbs and/or other extras to his meals as necessary. Obviously, though, children are still growing and have differing dietary needs to adults.

I know exactly what you mean about baking for others (and how hard is it to resist scraping out the remains of the mixing bowl and eating it!!!) I'm now freezing any left-overs after baking so that I can't access them easily - then I thaw out the exact number of portions required for serving to others and allowing myself one delicious dessert a week.

As for your idea of replacing mealtime carbs with a treat - as long as you don't go overboard and it works for you, I don't see why not. It's all a question of finding our individual balance of what to eat and not put on extra weight. I shall never go back to never weighing myself and will keep an eye out for danger signs on the scales. At least then, we will know when we have overdone things and need to compensate.

It seems to me that you have completely the right idea about all of this, anja. Robin, too. I have every confidence that you will both find the right way of doing things.

My head and brain aren't really where they need to be right now to be of any major assistance in these deliberations, but I'm reading avidly.

One thing which did come to mind, that I don't think has been mentioned previously, is to eat to one's hunger. To learn to differentiate (for those who haven't yet) between "physical" and "emotional" or even "head" hunger, and to learn to stop when full.

I've seen both Robin and Anja during their Conso journeys learn to juggle with slight increases on the scales, and falls too and that will obviously continue in Stabilisation. I can remember personally preferring to compensate before an "occasion" rather than running the risk of not potentially not compensating sufficiently after.

If I get to your stage (again), I intend to continue with the Conso rules which I think for someone like me do at least establish a basis for healthy eating. Increasing fruit (and carbs to a more healthy level daily rather than a tonne twice a week) seems to make sense also, and abolishing the idea of "gala" meals which, as we've discussed elsewhere, will be an "event" rather than a regular twice a week thing.

I look forward to seeing how things pan out for you both.

As for what I've already witnessed elsewhere, and personally, it's very hard to be precise as a lot of people disappear from websites mid- or post-Conso (and some return on Attack later on). I do know a couple of successful maintainers - and I'd dare to say that the profile of a successful stabiliser fits your two profiles rather than mine.

I shall watch and learn...

Err Jo - no pressure :D there then.

Yes agree the 'increase general level' approach as opposed to two blow-outs is the way to go as I can see that's what's getting me into trouble already.

It's the eating for enjoyment not just for pure physical necessity that needs to be somehow kept in check. I know when I'm hungry (like at 12.30 today after eating nothing since 6.30am brekkie), but that doesn't stop me from wanting to eat something 'nice' at other times when I KNOW I'm not hungry etc etc but....

More musings, not Dukan though! Feel free to ignore, just for my own records really but part of stabilisation too, so have put it here.

I dug out my WW menus this morning to see how I lost weight last time around (we had menu planners that we had to fill in with the corresponding points and any exercise).

I got through (on average) 10 points of cheese a day (when you think that a portion of camembert is 2 points, that's a lot of cheese). I also had a weekend blow out (saved points throughout the week - got extra 'cos breastfeeding) and had even more at the weekend:eek:.

Also, diet went to pot when my Mum became ill (again) which coincided with daughter not sleeping for more than 10-15 minutes at a time (day and night). The chocolate consumption increased 10-fold and I stopped going to meetings (although had already completed the 12 week programme, was just going for WI and support) when the weight started going on - that was a mistake but I was too tired/stressed to concentrate on it then. Anyway, 'tis in the past.

However, apart from the cheese overload and the chocolate as a sleep-replacement, the overall diet was pretty good. Did have carbs, but mostly porridge, pulses, potatoes. So not as much pasta as I remember pre-Dukan (that probably increased as the kids will all eat it without complaint hence having it more often in various forms).

So lessons learnt! Will buy individual portions of choc (5 gr) next time I go shopping just in case. And the cheese is sorted (in my head).

I'm getting more confident that I can do this:D.

Yes Laura that sounds good. I think I definitely have a handle on cheese myself - a 40gr chunk is a fair amount as long as I can limit it to once a day under normal conditions (and remember that is is contained in prepared things like Pizza or Quiche!). I am still weighing but my judgement is getting much better so I'll probably stop soon (with spot-checks though!!). And now I am also having occasional OTHER types of cheese not just hard cheese like cheddar.

My last GoodFood Mag had that healthy eating feature, once element was what a 'portion' is - I will look it up when I get the chance, but basically it it a fist-sized ball for carbs, and a matchbox for cheese so that about fits with the Conso limits which reflect healthy habits.

I am now really really upping my veg amounts and consequently decreasing the protein a bit at mealtimes. I still eat plenty low-fat dairy, and overall my egg consumption has somewhat decreased.

I need to get away from 'diet' mode, as before I was able to STS eating what I liked without overdoing it, it's only when someone tells me 'you're not allowed this' that things suddenly become desirable and attractive.

Of course weighing less now I also need less input to maintain that weight so I'll need to find the right balance - GRADUALLY!! At least my exercise levels are back up now with the near-daily cycling.

CONSOSTAB

So as Jo has helpfully coined a new term for us let's see how we get on with it!

I can seem I'm moving on from Conso gradually now, even though I am in my head still following it. Let's see what tomorrows WI brings. This is what I am following now:

• 4 days PV conso+carb
  • 2 days PV conso
  • 1 day strict PP
PLUS: For the 6 non-PP days I will also:

• Eat more veg, and less protein. My egg consumption has already dropped
  • 2 portions of fruit a day (I think I've already been having more)
  • one bread item a day (roughly the 60gr portion which I know to be a thinnish slice of my home made wholemeal, or a wrap, pitta...). I am not weighting it all the time any more
  • one portion of cheese a day (including cheese like Camembert etc that were off the menu for now). Again I know roughly that it's matchbox sized and I'll try to do less weighing.
  • at least one portion of pork, lamb or less lean cuts of meat a week
  • have one 'nice' dessert a week,
  • have (probably) 2 meals / evenings with a drink (but only one per evening)
  • try to restrict myself to one 'extra' a day (biscuit and the like)
I am also allowing myself to taste all the food I'm cooking, and occasionally have a small portion of it (like the spoon full cheese sauce two nights ago). this gives a 'Gala-effect' spread though the week and hopefully prevents the Feast and Famine feeling ("I *will* eat this because I am allowed *today* but not tomorrow") that could get me into trouble.

That's sort of what I've been up to this week we'll see the results tomorrow :cool:. I will up my oatbran to 3TB now, had not done that yet. Whether I keep the Wheat bran in the mix I will see. I guess the extra fibre is always welcome, and I'm still trying to get back to my bowl of Muesli for breakfast....

My planning is becoming a bit more flexible/fluid, but I really have to be careful not to lose track of the bigger picture (as in forget if I already had my extra, or my drink earlier in the week!)
I think most of the indulgent elements will be happening at the weekend so this is becoming a weekend vs. weekday diet which I suppose reflects quite well how my life works in any case.

I'll be watching Laura's 2xPV approach with interest as that might make the routine a bit less extreme.

In any case, as of tomorrow I will call it STABILISATION! (my 4 months / 120 days were up in the first week of January)

Good post, Anja. I think it pretty much mirrors what I plan for most of the week except that my carbs will be more grains/pulses and less rice/potatoes as i prefer them for soup, salads, etc. Oh and I have less bread (because more needs more cheese to accompany it). For info, 1 portion of camembert is 1/8th of the round so that you don't have to weigh it!

Also, aside from the 2 PV days (which may turn into only 1, will see how it goes), I'm tweaking the oatbran allowance by keeping 2 tbs of the bran and adding in a tbs of porridge oats. I figure it won't make too much difference (as calorie content, etc is similar and the benefits of the bran will still be there) but will make a huge difference to the taste and texture and will still keep me fuller (which I presume is the point of increasing the amount). I will also add in some raisins, prunes or apricots to my breakfast porridge (as I used to do pre-diet).

During February I will weigh in on Friday as I'm doing now, then only once a month (and hopefully after a few months never again).

And I'll join you on proper stab on 1st Feb!:)

Yes re: less weighing yourself - esp in winter I can feel by my clothes and belts how I'm doing! So today I'm feeling quite hopeful for tomorrow :)

Great diary ladies.!

I have not read the COnso stage as I just want to stick with Cruise info for the moment. I must say that if I had to create a healthy eating plan it would be what you list. How come it is that we couldn't just do that in the first place and avoid having to diet? I guess some lessons need to be learnt the hard way.

x

After my long post yesterday I thought some more about what foods to eat: what about the 'forbidden' fruit and veg? I guess they'll gradually come back - maybe on a scheme of 'max twice a week' and not twice a day. And use the 'portion' as a measure too.

And like Laura I think I'll count pulses into to the 'Carbs' category for now - so probably no bread with lentil soup at lunchtime and no potatoes in a stew with beans...

Ho hum it's getting really complicated again I do need to draw up a plan after all...

Anyway the plan of main meals this week is:

Today: Chicken in white sauce with (brown, always) rice, choc dessert, glass of beer
Sat: WM Spaghetti bolognese, glass of wine.
Sun: Baked chicken with parsnips, no extra carbs
Mon: Leek and meatballs (pork) with rice
Tue: Chicken stirfry, no carbs
Wed: Chicken Kievs (shop bought, 'healthy' variety) with broccoli and potatoes. Nice non-yoghurt dessert but not OTT :D
Thu: Something egg-fishy or chicken-curried :rolleyes:

On an aside - I have switched the whole family to wholemeal pasta and nobody batted an eyelid! It just reduces the choice of shapes somewhat. Obviously this does not work for Chinese noodles... And we've always been having brown rice anyway.

Great diary ladies.!

I have not read the COnso stage as I just want to stick with Cruise info for the moment. I must say that if I had to create a healthy eating plan it would be what you list. How come it is that we couldn't just do that in the first place and avoid having to diet? I guess some lessons need to be learnt the hard way.

x

Oh absolutely BREN. Shame really my weight already piled on late teenage, I recall coming home from school ravenous and eating vast amounts of cookies before tackling my mountains of homework! And from then on I stayed a bit on the larger than average size in the mid-70kgs till last year. But I had never really dieted in earnest though.

Back