Consolidation Couteaux - Consolidation time!! :)

Hi Jo, I wrote a long reply from my phone and lost it all - double grr!

Good point re not needing to rush into next step. When I am not being a total dingbat and actually stick to plan, I love the food, I don't miss anything, so really could stay on it for ages! I wish I could just sort my head out and stop being such a silly Billy ;)

Weight wise - i weighed in this morning and have gained a couple Lbs, trouble is I am just not compensating for my 'bad' days enough to even them out.

Hi Anjuschka :) running is still going well, I have just done the 2.5 continuous run, 20 still seems impossible at the mo lol!! I'm on week 3 now, today was a little harder and I got a painful stitch, not sure what would have caused it, i hadn't eaten, but I kept going as the way I am with my eating, I really
don't want to give myself any excuses to stop.

Busy time at home at the mo, OH is away for 4 days so just me and the 3 little ones ( few extra grey hairs here I reckon!) not sure when I can do my 3rd run of the week but will fit it in!!

I am getting my head back in the zone over the weekend, I know I should be on plan now, but going easy on myself and doing it Monday once OH back and things calmer (my excuse and I am sticking to it!)

Thanks both for your continued support xox

re "compensation" - I really wouldn't advise compensating beyond doing one perfect PP per day and sticking to the rules the other days (that you're not being a "dingbat" that is ;)). "Dieting" in Conso isn't going to help matters any so you're far better getting used to ALL the additions (some people cut things out which also is daft cos then the deprivation feelings can be worsened and ensuing binges). Best to embrace ALL you are allowed and any extras you put in will be pounds on the scales to lose with exercise, rather than undoing the good work Conso is intended to do on our bodies with reintroducing...

Says she who has never yet managed it... (I'd pass the theory test though!!)

Bon weekend with hubbbbby :D

Hi Jo - Well I have managed to gain 6lbs (eek but deserved) I had a whole week of having whatver I wanted and then some... I had decided MOnday would be my day for getting back on plan and very glad I am.

Re conso/cruise.. would you suggest I just go back to conso and get the lbs off, or cruise for a few days? Then conso as soon as I hit my true weight again. I am having my PP day today but not sure of the best plan of action to get back to my true weight.

I ran tonight - first evening run and it went well - except for a stitch and me thinking I had fnished the run then had one more to do, but I ran as much as I should and could have kept going so all good on that front.

I feel v pleased to be back on plan (why oh why do I come off it??) and hope good eating along with the running will start to work well together.

Food -

Brunch - chicken thighs, boiled eggs, cottage cheese
Dinner - chicken and cottage cheese

Rather bland but busy with babies/friends today. Missed my oatbran but will do better tomorrow!! :)

Good to hear you're keeping up the running, and back on the wagon today (I've started too, after being inspired by all of you runners on here :) Have joined the gym though, to avoid the frozen nose/throat/ears!!) Eek, this cruise/conso switch is such a delicate bridge to cross isn't it... You've done so well though, just look at that ticker! Don't be so hard on yourself..! :)

To be honest, I'd think the LAST thing you need (either psychologically or physically) is more deprivation... even if the PPs might cause a faster (water) weight loss, they're also keeping you in the PP / binge yoyo pattern in Conso.

I'd take the 6lbs on the nose, and continue Conso as it should be done with ALL your additions. You'll lose at least half those straight away... and your body and mind won't be PUNISHED yet again.

Constant restarts are what has got me where I now am... struggling to lose anything on this diet because it's no longer a shock to my system.

But I would defer to Anja or Robin or another experienced PRACTICAL Conso person, whereas I've just digested the THEORY :)

And I do of course advocate continuing the running (or skiing, if you're in a snowy area ;)).

Hi lorlypop,

Well done on the running! How are you finding it? Are you following a Programme at all? I have found the Couch25k really good, starts you off at a good pace and gradually builds up. I never imagined I could do it so v pleased :)

Hi Jo - I think you are right, hopefully the lbs will drop off being back on conso and to be honest, I am not dreadfully worried if it takes a while. I am doing all I can at the moment and just need to get my head in a sensible place with food, so slow and steady is probably best for me. Thanks for the sound advice! :)

I went for a run at lunchtime... In the snow!!! ;) only a tiny sprinkling though.
I could really feel it by the end, probably due to running 2 days on the trot so will rest tomorrow. Then I'll be running or 5 minutes continuously- yikes!! I never thought I could do that and still can't imagine actually running 5k but I will (somehow) ;)

Xx

I agree with Jo - don't do extra PPs or cut out the official extras to overcompensate for gains. It will stress your body (and mind!) and possibly not achieve much as you then overindulge at other times. Also with the running you should probably keep your nutrition level steady.

If you are following stage 1 conso to the letter with sensible galas and carb meals then you will most likely end up with a gentle loss.

What I did do when I noticed the scales creeping up (again) was re-assess my behaviour and address the little things: a biscuit with the tea, a mouthful off the kids plates, a generous lick of the cooking spoon, two or even three portions of fruit (including the initially not allowed ones) and DRIED FRUIT (another of my weaknesses) and so on. A week or two on what I call 'strict conso' ie one without any treats would see me right and put my head back in the right place (for a while)

So that's what I am doing now. I'm not back to my TW by quite a stretch but have resumed the fruit bread and cheese and definitely am having a normal family dinner at the weekend, and am planning a carb meal for Thursday. But i've not cracked and had a biscuit yet - coming home from a super strenuous yoga session tonight I just had a dukan-style hot chocolate (my one indulgence) but accompanied by some vanilla tofu cream :). The weight is not budging much either at the moment, but the subcutaneous fat on the stomach that I can feel is definitely shrinking again.

Well done on the running in the cold! Going out on my bike to yoga class tonight I was seriously questioning my willpower to get out for a run on Thursday if it gets any colder (it's supposed to)

lorly: I started on the C25K last August (from a base of nothing) and have managed to keep it up, have been running 5+ km three times a week for several months now, I can even manage to keep going for longer and do over 6, just not every time (depends on the weather too - ha!)

Maintainer & anjuschka, as always you speak perfect sense. I'm following couteaux's journey closely, being close to target weight myself I toyed with conso over Christmas then realised that I wasn't ready! Hence I've upped the exercise, so as to prepare myself for the transition to conso - hopefully I will be a little more toned by then & it will help to iron out (but of course not compensate) for any little bumps along the way. Despite being very strict & exercising daily the scales have been quite stubborn for the last month - as you have wisely said anju, it is worth noting that we must be toning up & changing visually even if the scales don't reflect that.

I downloaded a c25k app about 2 years ago but never got past week 2!! I started week 3 run 1 yesterday and was dripping through afterwards.. but even running for 3 minutes non-stop was once a distant dream..!

Well done for braving the snow couteaux! You certainly sound dedicated - are you finding yourself enjoying it now? A rest tomorrow sounds good, especially if the weather reports are right tonight. Your diary reminds me so much of myself - I'm very much an all or nothing person, which is why conso is so terrifying! Thank you for your honest account of what its really like, I wish there were more conso diaries on here.

Slow & steady wins the race :) x

awh this thread made me feel warm and fluffy this morning... it's true that Conso is tough for many of us and reading Couteaux's experiences reminds me how awful I found it the first time (when no one on the forum I was posting on at the time seemed to be regaining weight or struggling!). Only when I "came out" (so to speak) did others, and then we all had a good moan together but the damage was done of course...

Perhaps document your days here more closely Couteaux... I remember literally living Conso with Anja... and the detail she provided really helped me realise that I wasn't actually being as strict as I needed to be, and the odd little thing extra here and there - so much harder to avoid in Conso when not in ketosis - really wasn't helping my case any!

We're here for you... rooting for you!

Anja - I'm particularly interested when you say the scales aren't moving much for you either, YET you can see/feel the difference in your fat levels. Today I have quite a tight fitting pair of trousers on and, despite my weight, I don't look as bad as I thought!

Thank you all so much - I got all goosebumpy reading your posts (soppy thing that I am) ;)

The support here is fantastic and I really think I'd already be 2 stone heavier if it wasn't for posting here and getting your advice.

Lorlypop - It is 100% the 'all or nothing' part that makes this difficult for me. I have a perfect week, then plan a gala and find it very hard to get back on to the normal plan. It is like a switch is flipped and anything and everything is suddenly here to be eaten! It is totally in my mind and I know it is silly, it is something I need to work on or I will be bouncing up and down 7lbs (likely more) for the rest of my life. However, one HUGE improvement for me is the fact that I DO get back on plan, whereas on SW (and others) I would be off plan for weeks or months until going back up to 15 stone something and then feeling dreadful. On Dukan I am realising much quicker and posting here, the amazing non-judgemental support definitely makes a positive impact.

I am most definitely enjoying the running. It is hard at times, but I keep thinking "wow, I am running, last year I couldn't dream this would be a possibility". I also really do love the feeling of exercising and doing something positive for my health/body.

I have damaged my body such a lot over the yrs, I really don't look good minus clothes, loose skin etc, but I am hoping the running will help that a little and tone up without trying to lose lots more lbs.

I caved in this morning and weighed (after asking my OH to hide the scales last night!) I am now 12.2 so 4lbs down from Monday - obviously there was water there but glad to be inching back to my TW again.

Jo - I will definitely try and post more foody detail, you are right it will help in the monitoring and also hopefully help others.

Anja - Thank you as always :)

Food tbd - eeeeek, will start the day with crisp bread (instead of reg bread) and my 40g cheddar

Mwah to you all xxx

Hungry day today! Probably due to being disorganised and not having lots available (plenty of non Dukan bits around for fam but remain untouched)

Breakfast - crisp breads with 40g cheddar

Lunch - BNS soup, boiled egg and small bowl leftover stew

Dinner - spinach, vegetable chilli with chicken breast

Missed off my fruit and oatbran again. Not intentionally and may sneak off to have it for a snack in a while...., ;)

Ok so far today and about to head out for a run. Eeeeek must be crazy as it is freezing out there!!

Food wise I have been fine, seriously not organised though. Long day at work and not much food to hand meant I had to improvise slightly and had some porridge for lunch (proper big oats) but just made with water. It was very good and I am taking that as my carb meal.

I'll be having a pear after my run and food delivery due later so should have something ok - can actually remember what I ordered though, must engage brain!! ;)

Will update again later once chores all done and I can relax!

Well done :clap:! I was out as well last night, it was -3. I did not last as long though, gave up after one loop (just over 4K - I usually do an extended route which is just over 6k now)

At least we're out there - mutual pats on the back :D

I saw a few other runners (there's a half-marathon in Cambridge in March and I have really noticed lots more runners in the streets since early Jan. Three of them were wearing shorts ?!? and two of the even short sleeves. all men though :rolleyes: Women tend to wrap up a BIT more...

Hi Lorlypop, I have been hiding (with my head stuck in some rubbish food of some description) I'm off with the kiddies for half term and am being generally really daft. I know I am. I am not liking the results and can feel the lbs coming on.

Running has been off for a few days as it was so icy and that isn't helping, am off for a run tonight though.

I think I may need to kick start myself with a few days on cruise and will be starting on Friday (I have things planned with kids until then) I know I said I would just carry on with conso before, but I think I've done a bit more damage since then and need some added strictness for a while.

I am very annoyed with myself, 100% aware of what I am doing and driving myself potty!

I'm doing a really good example of 'how NOT to do Dukan consolidation' ;)

Next post will be more positive - promise x

Hi couteaux - glad you are still there, hope the run was okay. I'm still keeping it up, inspired by you & Anja!

I would personally get every tiny little thing that I fancied and eat it tonight so that it's out of your system before you get back to it!! when I have fallen off the wagon i often stuff my face so badly that I can't bear the sight of cake/chocolate/ice cream afterwards.. (for all of about 5 minutes haha)

I've attempted a few gala meals but they have turned in to gala "days" which have in turn become binge days.. Awful, I know exactly what I'm doing & yet don't stop myself!! But I feel so much better when I am being strict - I need the strict rules or give me an inch & I take a mile..

Good luck with your cruising from tomorrow, hope youve had a lovely time off with the kids xx

Couteaux where are you? I hope you're still running - with spring just round the corner it's going to get so much more enjoyable now!!

Back