Cross Stitch Crazies

I only like white on white when I am doing Hardanger, I love varigrated threads especially hand dyed threads. I hate doing blocks of colour too!

I only like white on white when I am doing Hardanger, I love varigrated threads especially hand dyed threads. I hate doing blocks of colour too!
I must admit I find those variagated threads interesting, although I've not had cause to use them very often. I tend to do patterns with an Ancient Egyptian theme (as I'm a self confessed Egyptophile), so not the best patterns to use more interesting threads with.
It's the metallic threads I have an intense dislike for. I find them so hard to work with.

Oh yes metallic threads are a nightmare! I hate working with them but I like the subtle effect they give to a finished design so I always persevere, but they are awful to work with

I did an Egyptian piece for my husband,that had lots of metallic threads

I think you may all have inspired me to get back into my cross-stitch - I have 3 lying round in different drawers in the house - all untouched since before I moved here... so about 4 years!

@ Wii-Gym-Bunny et al - you can't put links into posts until you've done a certain number of posts, but you should be able to type the website address but then "tell it" not to be a link.

Last edited:
This thread had inspired me too, I'm determined to finish the cross stitch I started 3years ago and this is what I fancy next (I keep changing my mind but it's favourite of the moment). It's a tapestry so shouldn't take as long to do.

66083f95.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh I like that one it's very colourful, you could build a theme around that.

I was looking at a huge Royal Paris tapestry, the pictures lovely but a bit old fashioned and I have more modern pictures in my room now so that's why I like the one I posted a picture of.

If I can get through it in time (course I can - and I can be 2.5 stones lighter by then!), it's to be a Christmas pressie for my mam. She and my dad lived out in Kenya for a couple of years many years ago and still have lots of African things around their house, so it'll go really well.

ooooh lots more x-stitchers :clap:

SOme lovely work going on too....
Bolero -my hubby x-stitches on occasion too, and I know a couple of other squaddies that do too -hubby found that I was right when I said that when you are sewing you really can't think about much else so after a hard day at work its ideal for helping him relax.

I haven't tried it but you can buy a product called "thread heaven" that is like a wax you rub into metalic threads to make them easier to work with.
I like metalics -but I only ever buy there ones:-
Petite Treasure Braid(PB) - Sew and So
they are a bit more expensive but they are thicker, knot less and so you don't waste as much -they don't seem stretchy like some.

I am busy packing up ready to move and have now started my 2nd packing box of X-stitch stuff.... I soooooo want to sit down with it but know that if I do I will get nothing done :p
When I unpack at the other end I will have to have a sort out as there is some stuff I know Im not going to use so I can stick it on here in case anyone can make use of it...

I've never actually worked with metallic thread yet. I do have one that has some metallic stitching but I got 2/3 of the way through it and put it away because I was bored with it - now I can find the work, the chart but can't find the threads except fit the metallic one.

Bolero -my hubby x-stitches on occasion too, and I know a couple of other squaddies that do too -hubby found that I was right when I said that when you are sewing you really can't think about much else so after a hard day at work its ideal for helping him relax.
You're absolutely right about stitching taking your mind off things. When I do it, I'm always so focused on it. I have to be, as the one time I wasn't paying attention I ended up sewing it into my shirt...not a good moment! lol.

I hadn't heard of that wax stuff, but will have to keep an eye out for it. Sounds like it would be handy to have! :)

Thank you GeordieLass (I too am a Geordie :D ) The stitching forums I go on are the Cross-Stitching . com ones, there are some lovely people there and some gorgeous work going on too.
I've not done much stitching at all this week, I am getting into my new sewing machine too now which takes up my usual stitchy time - I need another 12 hours in the day to fit in everything I want or need to do :D

Back