Diary of a HUNGRY Bear on a mission :)

:)
How do you make chickpea cakes? Not just because it has 'cake' in the title, but I have acquired 4 cans of chickpeas, and never know what to do with them I hear they are good for you, but assume you have to eat them to get the benefit!

:)
How do you make chickpea cakes? Not just because it has 'cake' in the title, but I have acquired 4 cans of chickpeas, and never know what to do with them I hear they are good for you, but assume you have to eat them to get the benefit!

I think the recipe uses dried chickpeas, which you soak overnight. I don't see why it wouldn't work with canned ones!
I think it's something like:

1. Drain chickpeas, chop up some herbs (any really, I don't think it matters) a red chilli, some garlic and onion.
2. Fry the onion and garlic with the herbs and spices and chilli until soft (I'm using frylight.)
3. Put chickpeas in a food processor, blend enough that the chickpeas are NOT pureed, and have retained some of their shape. Kind of chunky I guess!
4. Mix in the herbs, onions, etc, and add (I think 3tbsp) of greek yogurt (I imagine Total 0% would work well).
5. Shape mixture into patties, coat in beaten egg, and then roll in some wholemeal flour, then fry until warmed through and browned. (I'm allowing two syns per serving for the flour, the recipe states 3 tbsp for four people...

Sorry it's a bit vague! I don't have the recipe to hand! :(

Thanks will have to give it a go. I keep meaning to take them to group for the slimmer of the week but always forget, i am wanting to expand my recipe collection esp on recipes that will be quick with tinned stuff :)

You can also use chickpeas to make:

Hummus-
Can of chickpeas, blended, with some garlic, salt and pepper, lemon juice and a bit of spice if you fancy it.

Vegetable Chilli-
Canned chickpeas, canned mixed beans, some frylighted onion and garlic, can of chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper, chilli powder and paprika. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Served with rice :)

I also found this site- some of these ideas are either SW friendly or easily adaptable :)
What to do with: Canned chickpeas — Healthy Food Guide — News/articles

Ooooh crispy chickpeas sound good
Ok will be trying some of those recipes out, seem very quick and simple.
Won't be telling hubby what he's eating he is a bit of a pain when trying to incorporate new things lol

I know how you feel, my OH is lovely but incredibly fussy- he "doesn't like" (hasn't given a chance): tomatoes, cucumber, melon, pears, chickpeas, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, aubergine...SO MANY foods! Cooking for us is a struggle sometimes. Hide the chickpeas in something, that sometimes works- I reckon often it's a mental things (not liking certain foods)- you assume you won't like them, so when you try them you automatically say "eugh, no." When if you gave them a chance, they'd be ok :)

Today I have made a vat of ss (red) soup, he tried it last time, didn't like it, chucked it away, but today he gave the cauldron a stir " you have peppers and onion in there I want to try it, is it a different soup recipe", "of course" I lie ... Well it wasn't a proper lie, I was adding an additional ingredient, so will be interesting to see what he thinks of it when done lol

I am a little bit like your OH in that I think I don't like something so won't eat it, but have started eating broccoli after my daughter cooked us one of her very first roast dinners, and being a good mummy I ate it, and we now have it quite regularly, some in the pot bubbling away to go with Sunday dinner now lol

My next adventure has to be aubergine, I ate some (without realising what it was) when on hols and really enjoyed it, so goes to show that our childhood dislikes do not have to carry on into adult life, for me it's just knowing what it looks like in it's raw form, and knowing how to cook it lol

How can he not like sprouts - fairy cabbages ;)

Yeah, I think maybe one day I might like olives- my biggest childhood dislike! As of yet, I can't imagine eating them, but perhaps there is hope yet!
Aubergine can be lovely, but horrid when not cooked well.
And sprouts, I love 'em!
Chickpea cakes done. I'm off to nom them now! X

Olives bleurggh lol I did try one a little while ago, nope definitely don't like!

Dinner was spiced chickpea cakes (2 syns or so for flour coating), fry light wedges done with rosemary, salt and pepper, and salad, dollop of extra light mayo (1 syn).
Then a banana, a HEXB of ryvita crackerbead, spread with some light philly (2 syns per tbsp).
Cup of option caramel hot choc- 2 syns.

Pretty good day, WI tomorrow morning so we shall see!

Monday 5th September:
Half a pound off for me, which is good considering last Mondays disastrous meal in the evening!
Am now 12st 6lb :)

Breakfast: 28g porridge oats made with water. 2 quorn sausages (2 syns) and 3 mini potato rostis (4.5) all grilled. An apple.
Big breakfast but was hungry!

Lunch:

Dinner: mum is making it, so could be anything. She mentioned a mushroom tart (pastry!!!) so I'm going to save the rest of my syns for then :)

Clairebear1000 said:
Ooh, thanks *blushing* feel free to ask about any recipes or if you need meal ideas! Xxx

I'm always in need of recipes and meal ideas. Lol. I don't go to class and it has been a few years since I've done SW. We are on a budget too and that's why I prefer to do Greens. :)

You will now be my new best friend. Tee hee :)

I'm always in need of recipes and meal ideas. Lol. I don't go to class and it has been a few years since I've done SW. We are on a budget too and that's why I prefer to do Greens. :)

You will now be my new best friend. Tee hee :)

Yeah, Green is brilliant for a budget- I'm a student, so I love green.
One of my favourite meals is risotto, with a HEXA of Parmesan, finely grated. It goes a long way!
I'm a big comfort food fan, so things like potato bakes (using quark, or philly), jacket potato with cheese and beans, bean chilli with rice and grated cheese....big on my menu :)
Also, pasta and sauce sachets and super noodles with extra mixed vegetables, and some (yeah, more) cheese on top make cheap and quick meals. Stir fry is also a quick cheap meal.

Are there any recipes you'd like to try but need a SW makeover? I.e quiche, pasta bake etc...I'll be as helpful as I can :)

I'm going back to Uni too so budget menus are fab. I'll have a think about recipes and get back to you. I've started getting the SW mag to see what recipes they have too. My dog eats more expensive food than I do. Lol. :)

Claire 1/2 off very happy for you :)
Oooh tart tonight, I cant remember when i last had pastry lol hope its lovely

Claire 1/2 off very happy for you :)
Oooh tart tonight, I cant remember when i last had pastry lol hope its lovely

It is, as suspected, mushroom tart! It's only a one off, and I've concluded that rather than stressing about how many syns, im going to enjoy it and move on.
Got some new meals I'm hoping to try this week :) I'm feeling more positive than I have in ages :D

Hear hear, glad you enjoyed :)
looking forward to trying out your new recipes, will really help inspire me to work with veg, not just boiling it and putting it on the side of the plate!

My lunch: aloo gobi with rice :) yummmmmmmmmy

Attachments

• image-1156505052.jpg
    image-1156505052.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 15
Back