Diet on Hold......Watch this space......

:sad0071:Hi clarri, thanks for checking in on me today. I really appreciate the hug too, its very sweet, just wish I had someone to hug in real-life, guess my teddy will have to do. :sigh:

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement ladies, it does mean a lot to me that I can let some things off my chest and know that you won't think me silly. I cried while reading them, it just all came out of me and I couldn't stop for a while. I haven't taken offense to the comments made about what I am eating, thats why I started the food diary to maybe see where I am going wrong. I am really trying the best I can with what I have at home. I am currently not working because my mum needs me at home so the food I can choose from is what my dad wants to buy and its not always healthy or consistent. I am lucky to get the salad, and crackers etc. I can't bring myself to eat a lot of the food he cooks anymore because its not very healthy and lacks in the fruit and veg department. I suppose its not his fault he does the best he can with what little he has and since mum has stepped away from the role as head of the household, its hard to keep up with the way she used to do it. :( Although I am eating less, I think I am getting used to it now, because I am really not as hungry as I was getting a few months ago, which is a good thing.

I would consider joining a slimming club except that right now, because I am not working, I don't have a single penny to my name, I barely manage to borrow £25 a month for my phone bill from my brothers. At the moment its just not possible really. Thats why I have been trying to do it by myself, I can't even afford to join a gym so I try to do what exercises I can at home.

I am sorry for ranting on about things that I might not have explained too well its just that my home life is so complicated its hard not to get down when I keep thinking about the situation we are stuck in and have been for ages and never feels like there is anyway out. Its so hard to stay positive especially when everyone and everything around me is so negative, thats why I joined this forum, for support and guidance and a little friendly chat. I am not too upset about the diet if I am honest and at least I have not been compelled to binge or comfort eat which is a big thing for me. Its my life that gets me down. Its one of the reasons why I decided to go on a diet and exercise, I thought that at least it would be one thing I would be able to change and control and help me feel better about myself really.

I am sorry I will try and snap out of this slump, its just that I am sad with life at the moment, I just have to try and pick myself up again, like always.

If you managed to get through all that, thank-you so much for taking the time.

Today is Tuesday 29th July 2008

Breakfast: Bowl of Cornflakes with semi-skimmed milk, an apple and one of those probiotic yoghurt drinks.

Lunch: Cucumber and chicken sandwich, a banana, and a Clementine, a glass of cranberry and raspberry juice.

Dinner: Admirals fish pie, frozen mixed veg, a glass of light cola. A couple slices of cherry and sultana cake.

I tried to eat more fruit today, I got dad to buy me some Clementines, and sultanas, a change from just apples and bananas.

I took Mac out for about an hour this morning in total and then again this evening for about 20 minutes.

Haven't felt like doing much else. I have been quite weepy today and I am not even hormonal either. :cry:

Not too good a day mood wise, in the early hours of this morning my youngest brother's dad had an accident on his bicycle. He has dislocated his shoulder,but they can't set it right for two weeks until they know the full damage, he has a huge bump on his noggin and his knee too. Silly man, I feel really sorry for him, he is a bit bewildered today, he is taking it easy in his bedroom.

Still feeling rubbish, really hoping that tomorrow my mood is better and that I can stop whining to you guys.

Thanks for your support.

Love Gemma
xx

Last edited:
Today is Wednesday 30th July 2008

Breakfast: A bowl of cornflakes with semi-skimmed milk.

Snack: Banana and cranberry and apple muesli bar.

Lunch: Ham and cucumber sandwich. Clementine and a packet of prawn cocktail crisps.

Dinner: Salad, with potato salad.

I took Mac down the river for about 2 and half hours this morning for a bit of quiet alone time, I did quite enjoy it.

Not been up to much else really.

I hope you have all had a lovely day and that tomorrow is a good one too.

Love Gemma
xx

Glad to see you've taken on other people's advice and you're cracking on with it. Way to go!!!

~Silence~

Hi gemma

just caught up with your diary and am sorry to hear that you have been feeling down. I was vey struck by what you said about being able to be positive for other sbut not yourself. Thats me too. I can cheer you on but not myself, daft isn't it? Still at least we know we are not alone.
Problem with this dieting business is that in the first week or two we are all fired up with a new plan, we are enthusiatic and hopeful but you can't maintain those extreme feelings, so we start to drfit off. Well I do, I think a lot of people do. I know I'm probably not helpig much, I guess I just wanted to say, it's not you, it's how it is for a lot of us, but Clarri is right, even if all we do is stop gaining and STS that is better than nothing. That is still an achievement and over time, as new good habits form, lbs will disappear and we will feel better about ourselves.
Love and hugs

Hiya Silence and Barb thanks for popping and leaving your lovely words of encouragement, it does help to know that I am not alone while trying to diet. Eventually I hope to get into a more relaxed stride about my diet so that it just happens. :)

Today is Thursday 31st July 2008

Breakfast: A bowl of Honey nut Shredded Wheat and semi-skimmed milk and a few sultanas thrown in.

Lunch: A ham and cucumber sandwich and a packet of crisps.

Dinner was a small portion of chip-shop chips.

I have not been up to much again today, accompanied mum to the doctor. I had a nap today because I was really tired and my eye has been bothering with a sore little lump. In the afternoon we had a look at a few caravanettes, because my parents are thinking of getting one in the future for are camping trips away.

Then took Mac out down the shops and got a small portion of chips which I didn't eat all of, just until I was full, threw the rest away.

A couple of slips with my food today, but even though I am feeling low I am still determined not to binge and break my diet horribly. ;)

Going on one of our long walks tomorrow yay, so might feel a bit better after that.

Thanks everyone for you support.

Love Gemma
xx

Hi Gemma
Glad you are starting to feel a bit better. Hope your Mum got on ok. Keep an eye on your eye (sorry bout the pun) you dont want it to turn nasty.
Dont worry bout the chips. Just enjoy them. Still not convinced you are eating enough though, and what happens is that your body will go into starvation mode, and you wont lose weight as much as you would like. Why dont you try the free calorie counting site, foodfocus.com. Just to keep a track, and they will work out how many calories you should be eating.
Enjoy the walking tomorrow.
xxx

Me again!! I have just taken the liberty of calculating your calories for today, and you had approx 1280, ( i rounded up too), which is not a lot really. Im not sure what your height is but to lose 1.5lbs on average per week, you should be having about 1400 at least.
And of good stuff. So, not going to say anymore, just trying to help ;), and hope it does.
xxx

Hiya clarri thanks for your support, and looking out for me. I do appreciate it. I will check out this website you have suggested. ;) I didn't realise that what I ate on Thursday was that low in calories. :eek:

The thing is, I have really reduced my food intake to a lot less than what it was before I started my diet. I used to be hungry quite a lot and sometimes didn't feel suitably full-up from my meals. But now I have been on this diet for a couple of months, reduced what I am eating and only having three meals a day with no snacks unless I am hungry, I really don't feel as hungry as I used too, so I eat less which I thought was a good thing. :(

This dieting thing can get confusing, I just need to find the right balance I guess, of eating enough but not too much. I certainly don't want to mess up my diet by not having enough calories which from what you have said is just as bad as having too many.

Thanks for the advice clarri.

Love Gemma
xx

Hi hun, I just wonder if you ever just read over ur diary now an again? I say this because I've just read it an you come across as someone who is working hard and achieving a more positive and active lifestyle in quite difficult personal circumstances!

I certainly wouldn't view the time uv been posting on here as you making no progress. I think u are doin well. Its normal to find things hard at times. Keep going and good luck. Ps hope u didn't mind a random person posting x

Hiya tara66, welcome to my diary, thanks for taking the time to read it, I very much appreciate all the different views and peoples inputs that I receive it is always a great help. :) I certainly don't mind seeing a new reader of my diary. ;)

After reading your post I did go back and read some of my previous pages, it helped me to remember that I was so excited at the beginning to be losing weight and was really determined to make it happen. Reading my old words even though they were only written a few weeks ago have helped re-ignite some of that determination. I by no stretch of the imagination want to give up and want to carry on going regardless of whatever else is happening in my life, this is for me. :D

So starting tomorrow I have 5 days before my camping trip to Somerset, I am going to get back my positivity again as though I am starting my diet afresh and really work hard before my holiday so I can keep it up even while camping.

I have checked out and registered on the website clarri, its very interesting and really helpful, thanks for pointing it out, I shall be using it to help me in the future.

I would just like to say:thankyou: to everyone that has supported me so far, especially in this last week when I have found it hard to pick myself up because of personal reasons. I was very down in the dumps, but because of your words, kindness, advice and friendship you have giving me a much needed lift to say stuff the other problems they shouldn't be affecting my happiness and health. Your are all beautifully, amazing people and I am glad to get to know you and share my journey and your own journeys with you. ;)

Heres to a really good day tomorrow, and even getting back to my exercise plan too.

Love Gemma
xx

Hey TL, camping, lol too much nature for me!
Your sounding very inspired, its great as you probably know reading others happy motivated words keeps those of us slightly lagging going.

Hope your having a fabby weight loss day

Hiya 666, thanks for popping in. ;)

Good Afternoon everyone.

Today I have decided to give my self a boot up the backside and get back to business with my weight-loss plan.

I went to Boots and weighed myself on their machine this morning and it says I am 15st 8lbs so I haven't lost anything since I went to the doctors and got weighed but I'm thinking positive and seeing that I haven't gained either. :)

I will be starting my ticker again with this new weight and I will weigh myself at Boots again in the first week of September. As per some of your advice I am not going to be obsessed with the scales and weighing myself all the time. An official weigh-in at the beginning of each month is plenty (with maybe the odd one in between to see if I'm on the right track ;)).

I will keeping an eye on my calorie intake with the lovely website that clarri pointed out to me, which is going to be very useful I think, thanks clarri. :D I even got dad to get me some more tins of fruit to help with the healthier eating.

Thats about it really, I am hoping to get on my stepper today but not sure I can face it yet, lol.

Will be back later with my food diary :)

I hope you are all having a great day.

Heres to a fresh beginning, I am going to do this now, no messing about.

Love Gemma
xx

Hiya clarri, :hug99:

Ok today is Monday 4th August 2008
New Day One:

Because I am keeping track of my food on the foodfocus.co.uk website, I won't re-write it all out here.

I decided to aim for losing 1.5lbs per week. According to the website, my net calorie goal to achieve this is 1723 cals everyday. So that includes adding together all the food I eat and subtracting the calories I burn from exercise. My normal calorie burn for a day is calculated at 2472, so as long as I am below this with my net calorie goal I should start to lose some weight in theory. :)

So today:

Calories eaten 04 Aug 08
1412​
less exercise calories
- 400​
horizontal%20line250.jpg
Net calories
1012​
Net calorie goal
1723​
horizontal%20line250.jpg
Normal calories burnt
2472​
Difference
Approx weight lost: 0.42lb (0.19kg)​

According to this I am 711calories below my calorie goal because of the exercise I did today which was gardening for an hour. :) But thats ok, because I am not hungry and it just means I have burnt more calories hopefully. And I checked the recommend daily intakes of Protein, Fat and Carbs and I am below all three today and relatively balanced.

Thats it for today, I didn't go on my stepper but I did some gardening and I did take Mac out for a total of 30mins today.

I hope you all had a lovely day. See you tomorrow. :D

Love Gemma
xx

Hey Gemma,
Great to see the new positive you. Just to say I try my best to have my exercise calories as bonus' and stick to calories before, ie. your 1723!! I reckon even if you have 1500, thats ok, I just know that you have to eat the right stuff and it will come off.
Today was a bit up and down for me, but ok. Got to get some exercise tomorrow.
Have a great day tomorrow.
With you all the way,
xxx

Hi Gemma
Glad to hear you are refocused and rearing to go! Glad you have more of a "plan" to stick to to help ensure that you stay healthy whilst trying to lose weight, to thats good. I wish you all the luck with your new found motivation, and a fresh start is just what you needed, good luck in getting those lbs off! I know you can do it!!

Diane xx

Hi Gemma, you sound like you are really back in the game! Well done, that is brilliant. You can do this, you are so organised now!

Hello everyone, thanks for popping in and leaving your lovely messages as usual. :) I am liking the new way of organising my diet and this way it is helping me keep track and stay more focused. :D

:hug99: clarri, you are a big reason why my mood has shifted and I am feeling better, you are so nice to me (as are all my lovely readers). I hope that I can return the favour and keep you propped up during your slump. I will pop over to your diary and see how you are doing.

Hey tara66, its a pleasure to see you again, you helped me out too with getting back my motivation. ;) Thanks again fro reading my diary I really appreciate it.

Today is Tuesday 5th August 2008 - New Day Two

Gosh can you believe we are in August already this year seems to have flown by.

I have been busy cleaning up the downstairs part of the house and getting my clothes and things sorted for my long weekend away camping, which I am getting so excited about. :D I can't wait to go back to the campsite in Somerset I stayed at while on training archaeological digs for uni, it will be brilliant, see more of the countryside this time round.

Not been up to much other than that.

My calories are about right today according that website so thats good too. I even had a roast dinner, with boiled potatoes instead of roasties, so I was a good girl. :D

Thats about it really. Goodnight, I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow.

Take Care.
Love Gemma
xxx

Back