Does lots of exercise lead to no losses??

Hayleyberrybenj

I spoke with two ladies also on SW today at the swimming pool.We started discussing what each of us was doing to try to aid the weight loss and when I told them about my new exercise regime they both said that the more exercise you do the less you see it on the scales because you're turning fat into muscle.They said that their C had told them to take it easy on intensive exercise and just try gentle stuff instead.Is this true??

So far this week I've done..
30 lengths swimming,20 mins exercise bike mon
34 lengths,20 mins ex bike tues
40 lengths,30 mins ex bike thurs
44 lengths(1mile),45 mins ex bike fri

Does ^^^ mean I'm now likely to get on the scales on wed and have a rubbish loss?? Worried now :confused:

No it doesnt Hun.
What you may find is that you may sts for the first week as your muscles are holding on to acids etc that are released during exercise. This will soon go and just make sure that you drink plenty of water to flush through.
Just remember that 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle is still 1lb. Muscle does not weigh heavier than fat, its just another excuse to add to the "Im not loosing weight this week" list.
Also, dont overdo the exercise, remember that you need to rest in between. I was told by an Army PTI, that your body is still working out the following day, so eg if you exercise on Monday, have Tuesday rest and then do Wednesday.
Enjoy it, you will feel far better in the long run!!

PHEW!!!!! Thanks for the reply! Was panicking a bit there tbh.
I have wed and sat off from the intensive swim plus on sunday I go for a really gentle fun family swim session.I am really really enjoying myself :)Found myself going totally over my planned ex bike session last night when I popped hubbys ipod in with some old skool music I love but didn't feel tired :p
I used to do LOTS and lots of exercise,swam every day,had my own horses etc and it feels fab getting back into it all again.I'm drinking at least 2 litres of water a day..is that enough? xxx

You can lose fat and gain muscle, but you can't "turn fat into muscle" - that's just physically impossible.

There are two people in my class who are training very intensively at the moment for a charity event. They aren't losing much, if at all, in weight (although they are losing in inches) and you can easily tell the difference by looking at them.

But generally speaking exercise is good for you, speeds up the metabolic rate, and will also help with toning as you lose weight.

me and my sister are training for a 5k run :0 we started last week walking/running for 30 mins 3 times a week and i lost 1lb i was expecting more but i think that i would rather lose slowly and exercise than not to exercise at all. ive 2.5 st more to lose and im hoping that overall the exercising will help me a lot plus the fact that i will be toning up and hopefully not have any lose skin once im at target :)

Hayley - you go girl - you will look fab toned healthy and far far few hangy bits than those who exercise little.

Hi Hayley,

I started at the gym last week, I did 7 or 8 hours in total, half gym, half swimming.

I put on 1/2 a lb and was absolutely gutted as I had been 100% on plan :cry:

I was advised it is water retention which happens when your body isn't used to exercise - it will go down when your body gets used to it but may take a week or 2 or 3! Apparently if your muscles are aching then they will also be retaining water, no two ways about it.

All I can say is don't worry if you do STS or gain slightly as I'm sure it will be better in the long run. If you enjoy it then that's great go ahead and do it, it's just part and parcel of being in it for the long haul.

I also saw your other post about syns... this is something I have also been wondering however 8.5 for a whole week does seem way too low, my C said reducing them that much can actually work against weight loss and we should try to have 5 a day at the very minimum, if not 10. I know it seems wrong when all you want to do is lose weight as soon as possible, but apparently if you cut your syns that low and then your weight loss is not good, it can be blamed on not following the plan to the letter? I think maybe as well you may eat less free food if you can have a little of what you fancy - as free or not, it all has calories at the end of the day! x

me and my sister are training for a 5k run :0 we started last week walking/running for 30 mins 3 times a week and i lost 1lb i was expecting more but i think that i would rather lose slowly and exercise than not to exercise at all. ive 2.5 st more to lose and im hoping that overall the exercising will help me a lot plus the fact that i will be toning up and hopefully not have any lose skin once im at target :)

Why were you expecting to loose more?
Sorry, but 5k is 3miles. 1 mile burns around 100 cals, probably less if you are doing a walking and running combination. 300 calories x 3 is 900 calories, not even half a pound - and that is assuming you didn't compensate by eating more afterwards.

Exercise is the best thing you can do to complement eating healthily.

Sorry, but 5k is 3miles. 1 mile burns around 100 cals, probably less if you are doing a walking and running combination. 300 calories x 3 is 900 calories, not even half a pound - and that is assuming you didn't compensate by eating more afterwards.

because id also being doing other exercises in the previous week and during the said week and it wasnt just walking it was brisk walking and running which is the BEST form of exercise for weight loss, and the fact that i sts the previous week and that no i didnt compensate by eating more afterwards, i stayed within my syn count for the week and ate my free and superfree foods so i was also eating healthily as per the SW plan.

I dont think its unreasonable to expect more than 1lb when exercising as i have been able to lose more on a week where i didnt exercise at all! i wasnt devastated with my 1lb loss its just that i thought it might have been 2lb. i was watching a tv programme the other night and this lady had a personal trainer and was eating healthily and she lost 7lb in her first week and HE was disappointed at her weight loss.

hey

I have been doing the whole gym thing now for bout 2 months but I have only lost bout 3 or 4lb in total during this, I seem to be goin up and down every week, 0.5lb off then on again, but I have deff noticed it in inches, aound my chest tummy and thighs... I have almost dropped another dress size

I know its disappointing not to see it on the scales but def try and measure urself and see if u see a def that way

good luck with ur journey x

Is that all? Blimey all that effort LOL.

Spin seems to be good for losing the pounds for me, and Body Pump good for toning.

because id also being doing other exercises in the previous week and during the said week and it wasnt just walking it was brisk walking and running which is the BEST form of exercise for weight loss, and the fact that i sts the previous week and that no i didnt compensate by eating more afterwards, i stayed within my syn count for the week and ate my free and superfree foods so i was also eating healthily as per the SW plan.

I dont think its unreasonable to expect more than 1lb when exercising as i have been able to lose more on a week where i didnt exercise at all! i wasnt devastated with my 1lb loss its just that i thought it might have been 2lb. i was watching a tv programme the other night and this lady had a personal trainer and was eating healthily and she lost 7lb in her first week and HE was disappointed at her weight loss.

It may be the 'BEST' form of exercise as you put it, but only when done for sustained periods of time and distance. 5k is hard run, it requires the speed of a sprinter and the endurance of a long distance runner. Doing it at a slow pace 3 times a week doesn't do much, sorry but it's the truth. It'll help of course it is getting you moving, but distances of 8k+ regularly are really the only way to loose weight.

And only eating free food doesn't mean you aren't overcompensating. If I am carb loading I'll eat 120g pasta in one sitting - that is overcompensating but it is still free food.

Is that all? Blimey all that effort LOL.
Indeed! 1 hobnob per mile. But once you run longer distances it makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Don't let people put you off Jane!

I'm doing the couch to 5k for about 5-6 weeks (I have done it previously) and although I've not lost weight (but I am at target now so thats not my motivation) the change is my body shape has actually been quite dramatic in such a short space of time. 4 people this week have commented how much I look like I've lost lots of weight (like I said, I haven't lost anything) - and one friend who I havent seen for about a month couldn't believe how different I looked. I've dropped a dress size, and my muffin top has near enough gone.

I run every other day (on a treadmill!) and walk for half hour on my 'rest days'. I've just started doing toning exercises this week.

Really, don't let people put you off. I'm not even following SW (though most of my meals are SW friendly) - I just watch my portions (usually lol). I know running might not be the best thing for the scales - but its definitely the best way to change your body shape and it makes you feel amazing afterwards.

Good luck and well done losing that pound (why does a pound 'on' seem like loads but a pound lost is never enough? lol us girls are a weird lot!).

i was watching a tv programme the other night and this lady had a personal trainer and was eating healthily and she lost 7lb in her first week and HE was disappointed at her weight loss.

HE needs to catch a grip.

I started the couch to 5k plan, and lost 3.5lbs that week, got shin splints and had to stop. The week AFTER I lost 4lbs

Its not linear.

I remember Frankie Boyle saying in order to burn off a bag of chips you would have to run 9 miles. Although he meant it as a joke, he wasn't far wrong.

In order for me, at my weight to lose 1lb of 3500 calories fat, I'd have to run at 5mph for 4.3 hours or, have *active* sex for about 8.

And that would kill my husband.

The Most Accurate Calories Burned Calculator,

Don't let people put you off Jane!

I'm doing the couch to 5k for about 5-6 weeks (I have done it previously) and although I've not lost weight (but I am at target now so thats not my motivation) the change is my body shape has actually been quite dramatic in such a short space of time. 4 people this week have commented how much I look like I've lost lots of weight (like I said, I haven't lost anything) - and one friend who I havent seen for about a month couldn't believe how different I looked. I've dropped a dress size, and my muffin top has near enough gone.

I run every other day (on a treadmill!) and walk for half hour on my 'rest days'. I've just started doing toning exercises this week.

Really, don't let people put you off. I'm not even following SW (though most of my meals are SW friendly) - I just watch my portions (usually lol). I know running might not be the best thing for the scales - but its definitely the best way to change your body shape and it makes you feel amazing afterwards.

Good luck and well done losing that pound (why does a pound 'on' seem like loads but a pound lost is never enough? lol us girls are a weird lot!).

thanks chick, i did feel like some people were having a go at me:( so thanks for sticking up for me there.

its the couch potato to 5k that im doing too but ive hurt my knee (it happened before taking up running but ive aggrevated it somehow) so ive not done it since tuesday:( its really good to hear that doing that form of exercise has had a noticeable change on your body shape - well done you for sticking with it :)

running fits in best with my life i dont have the money to join a gym of anything like that so to be told that its basically no good for losing weight was really discouraging:confused: but after reading what you have said then im going to stick with it after my knee recovers that is lol

thank you for your kind words and being so encouraging ((hugs))

HE needs to catch a grip.

I started the couch to 5k plan, and lost 3.5lbs that week, got shin splints and had to stop. The week AFTER I lost 4lbs

Its not linear.

I remember Frankie Boyle saying in order to burn off a bag of chips you would have to run 9 miles. Although he meant it as a joke, he wasn't far wrong.

In order for me, at my weight to lose 1lb of 3500 calories fat, I'd have to run at 5mph for 4.3 hours or, have *active* sex for about 8.

And that would kill my husband.

The Most Accurate Calories Burned Calculator,

i would loved to have lost 3.5lb the week after i started exercising and then 4lb the following week! did your weight loss slow down after that or did you still continue to have big losses each week?

were you wearing the correct footwear when you were running? shin splints are a nightmare i had them years ago for a while after running with the wrong trainers on:(

No-one said running is no good for weight loss.

There is just a difference between running which is good for weight loss and the early stages of C25K. Which is basically just walking. You have to build up the mileage for it to be any good at helping to loose weight.

i would loved to have lost 3.5lb the week after i started exercising and then 4lb the following week! did your weight loss slow down after that or did you still continue to have big losses each week?

were you wearing the correct footwear when you were running? shin splints are a nightmare i had them years ago for a while after running with the wrong trainers on:(

I'm going to go and get re-shod when I've stopped hurting. The shoes I wear are proper running ones, but bought when I was about 3 stone lighter 4 years ago, so think I need new ones

As for the weight Loss I've just started and its went

6lbs, 3.5lbs, 4lbs, 2lbs over the past 4 weeks, so its early days yet.

I have done 7 hours of dance class or yoga this week. Yesterday and today had a stroll with the dog to ease the muscles and because I could actually dance no more without shrivelling in to a prune as I have sweat like never before. If I don't show a loss tomorrow I will be so mad. My stomach and legs feel tight - possibly from the exercise and thinking "what is going on" - but I would still like a loss.

Timetabled myself in to the same classes this week and to most of them when work starts again. They are really fun so I've got the incentive to keep it up. I do worry about it taking 3 weeks to work though and showing a gain tomorrow. It seems so counter productive to exercise but then gain, whether it's due to water retention or losing fat but muscling up. Doubled with impatience if you're like me I can see why you can get 2 weeks in and would think "s*d this".

Back