Fat Experiences

ontheway said:
I went on a date a while ago, it didn't go well!!

He spent about an hour talking about how much he loved history, it's not my cup of tea at all... I was polite and just said I never had much interest in history in school as I'm not much of a reader...

His response: So you hated history and clearly had no interest in PE, what did you like?

I wanted to punch him! He had asked me out and then insulted me!! :sigh:

Ooo I would have punched him! What an idiot! x

I went on a date a while ago, it didn't go well!!

He spent about an hour talking about how much he loved history, it's not my cup of tea at all... I was polite and just said I never had much interest in history in school as I'm not much of a reader...

His response: So you hated history and clearly had no interest in PE, what did you like?

I wanted to punch him! He had asked me out and then insulted me!! :sigh:

I would of replied "Yeah well I never went to PE 'cos I was too busy laughing at the history swots" then given him a swift kick in the Divina McColls! Only kidding, what a twat!

This one always sticks in my mind from over 20 years ago, I had lots of boy friends at school but never a boyfriend. Anyway I was at the barbers with one of my friends and the barber said clearly so I could hear "she's not you girlfriend is she mate? He said "no" and the barber said " good anything under 11 stone is ok" !!!! Nasty horrid little man, I was only 16 at the time and comments like that hurt when you're so young.

This one always sticks in my mind from over 20 years ago, I had lots of boy friends at school but never a boyfriend. Anyway I was at the barbers with one of my friends and the barber said clearly so I could hear "she's not you girlfriend is she mate? He said "no" and the barber said " good anything under 11 stone is ok" !!!! Nasty horrid little man, I was only 16 at the time and comments like that hurt when you're so young.

Comments like that can stay with you for a lifetime. I'm not saying you think about them everyday but the knock in confidence does. People can be so heartless. If it's any consolation, from your picture you look beautiful. I really mean that! :)

Well that's a lovely thing to say Happy healthy thank you :) you've made my day! As an adult now I've decided that if I think something nice about someone I'll tell them. The world can be a very negative place, so a bit of positivity can really make someone happy, oh and sod the nasty barber!! :D :D

I have three kids already and at xmas someone stopped me and said 'oh god your not pregnant again are you'

I nearly died it was soooo mortifying.

Also I was really angry because I've been happily married for years and we've always worked etc so why the hell shouldn't I have as many kids as I flaming well want!!!! Not that I'm having another but still!!!!!!!! I felt not only had I been exposed as fat in public but my parenting was in question :(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I was asked if I was pregnant once, I just said no I am fat.

Worse one was my older cousin who I had not seen for many years, he looked me up and down and said ' You're piling the beef on'

His comment damaged my self confidence for a very long time and still does.

Worst thing for me is when I haven't seen my nanny or my aunty in ages - I either get the "you look like you've lost a bit of weight" means I have met with their approval or silence which means I haven't - wish they would just see me the person not my weight! I also wish I didn't have to constantly seek their approval either! grrrr!! This coming from women who are both overweight themselves!

I walked home from work one afternoon this week and there was a big queue of traffic. I hate walking next to traffic cos I feel really self concious that everyone is looking at me! Cue the chavved up car full of teenage boys with the windows down who start shouting at me :( three of them at first were shouting 'hey sexy' and i just ignored them and then another piped up and shouted 'have you seen the size of them legs.' :( I wanted the ground to just swallow me up :(

Why do people think they have the right to abuse complete strangers in the street? It's totally disgusting. And I was feeling pretty confident in a size 14 dress after losing 3 stone so far. Stupid boys!!!!!!!!!

Felix don't believe them, they got no answer from the hello sexy. So as not to make themselves look stupid they threw a nasty comment at you. Size 14 is fab. Don't listen to hormonal boys. Full of c**p :)

Aww thank you! I'm sure they weren't even old enough to drive the damn car in the first place haha!!! It's terrible though, because people just don't realise how much these things stick with you for years or even the rest of your life.

Felix, don't let them bother you, you are beautiful! Some people are so rude.
I started work in a place I'd worked several years before, and the first thing one of the old staff members said to me was 'Well, you've put on weight!' I was mortified - I wish I'd had the confidence to say 'And you've got old!' but I'm far too shy :)
I recently went to Nepal for a month and people there just come out and say it - "How can you be a doctor? You're so fat!" It's not really considered rude in their culture so I couldn't take offence, but it's not nice to hear, even if I know it's true. I heard it so many times that I'm determined to get myself sorted out. I'm starting Diet Chef tomorrow - hopefully the comments will be at an end soon!

To be honest, not many people have say anything to me these days... possibly because I've got quite a sarcastic, cutting manner and most people know that I can humiliate them more with one sentence than they could with some worn out old fat joke that we all first heard when we were about 5.

The other day in the street a one of group of girls said something to me when I was walking home from work. I told them to come and say it to my face and all she could come back with was "fat b**ch"... I asked her if she'd mistaken woodtstain for foundation and got her clothes buy one get one free from the local market stall, and asked if she'd like to come to me on her own to be smacked by this 15 and a half stone "fat b**ch". Needless to say they walked off :D.

My aunt is quite bad though. I think when she was a teenager she was a lot bigger than she is now, and when she met her husband she lost a lot of weight and has essentially starved herself since to keep it off. Once I was at my sister's birthday party with 2 of my friends and she came over and said something about me to them like, "Wouldn't she be lovely if she lost a bit of weight". My friend, bless him, was like "Yes, because we hate her at the moment!" :D I think she does it because she resents that I can be fat, dress well, enjoy life and not spend all my time hating myself and worrying what other people think of me like she does.

I mean obviously I've had my fair share of the usual "she's a big lass" stuff but I think I'm immune to it now. It breaks my heart when I see how fat people try and hide away... I wish I could convince everyone who has ever had a hurtful thing said about them that they are fabulous, because they are :D.

Lots of lads used to say stuff to me when I was a teenager but I'm a lesbian anyway so I wouldn't consider blokes liking me particularly high praise anyway!

I think the worst one I have had was when I was about 16 and my Aunt patted me on the tummy and said loudly "Looks like someone's had a good Christmas, I think a few months on Weight Watchers would do you good" She said this in front of almost my entire family!
About a year after that I was walking down the street eating a snickers (I know, not really what I should have been doing) and 2 girls that I had been at school with came up to me and told me I was getting fat and needed to lay off the chocolate.

My very worst experience was when we visited my husbands relations for a meal. When I finished what was on the plate, his ( fat) uncle said really loudly " no waste where there's pigs about"
I have never been so mortified. Back then I was very shy and just went scarlet, these days he would have got more than a mouthful back. Lol!

My very worst experience was when we visited my husbands relations for a meal. When I finished what was on the plate, his ( fat) uncle said really loudly " no waste where there's pigs about"
I have never been so mortified. Back then I was very shy and just went scarlet, these days he would have got more than a mouthful back. Lol!

How horrible! Sounds to me like he's speaking for himself there...

I hate people...

My step-dad's mum is the worst but she's a horrible person and we don't talk to her any more.

She'd always make blunt remarks about my weight and how all my side of the family are overweight. After we had fallen out with her she saw my uncle's new wife in the supermarket. She was in the clothes section and this awful woman came up to her and said 'that wouldn't look good on you, you're too big'.

If she EVER comes near me and says something like that I think I'll steal her walking stick and run away.

Worse than being asked if you are pregnant (because there's some doubt there) is being asked 'when are you due?' Clearly that meant I definitely looked pregnant. I said no and then the woman (a drunk Scottish lady from my local) kept apologising every time she saw me.

I was in NYC recently and on the subway. The boyf and I were standing as we were only going a few stops. A huge woman very politely asked me if I wanted her seat.

I can't think of any reason why she would offer other than the fact that she thought I was pregnant. I just said no and went no further to explain, I'm sure she would've been mortified if she'd know the mistake she'd made. And had I been pregnant that would've been a lovely gesture. But I wasn't and the experience ruined New York for me.

I can't believe how rude people can be after reading through this thread. If I'd received comments like some of the ones mentioned here, I'd have clouted someone!

I used to get ribbed at school although it was generally good-humoured and I would just smile and ignore it. The worst occasion was when someone swapped my chair for a broken one which then collapsed when I sat on it prompting the whole class to laugh at me.

Since getting older and working in IT, I seem to be surrounded by bigger folk and it's rarely mentioned. Occasionally there's some offhand comment from a colleague which is probably no big deal to them but leaves me seething for ages afterwards. Like the time a former manager was passing around a tin of sweets, when he came to me he said 'I knew you'd want some'. I politely refused and I think he got the message.

One time I thought was going to be bad was a couple of years ago when I went to the aviation museum at Duxford. My OH had booked a flight experience for me on a vintage passenger plane but when we checked in, we all had to be weighed so they could distribute us evenly in the seating. I stepped on the scales, looked at the numbers and looked at the pilot. He wrote my weight down and looked me up and down. 'Hmm, you don't look that heavy'. I guess that was a kind of compliment. And the plane still got off the ground!

Oh yeah, many years ago my then 5 year old niece asked me why I had boobies! There's never a convenient hole to swallow you up when you need one...

'I knew you'd want one' - I hate that. I really hate how other people use bigger people to justify their own eating habits. Like, 'If the big person eats it too then it's okay if I do!'

I usually find it's the opposite, that the bigger person usually DOESN'T want one - because they don't like eating in public through fear of being judged. I know that was the case with me. My worst eating happened privately - mostly because I'd starved myself all day long so I didn't look like a glutton!

At work when people look at the salad I have for lunch and say "Ooh, that's very healthy of you". I'm like, yeah, well I have to make up for those lard butties I had for breakfast :rolleyes:. Because I'm fat, surely I should have 12 Mars Bars for lunch instead?

Back