Flea help!

Yeah, it should do! I don't know as much about the frontline i'm afraid as we don't stock it, but i'm sure it does. Hopefully, with spraying the house and treating them your shouldn't have any more visitors - hopeully. :) I would've thought the stronghold would be for either a 3pack or a 6 pack - probably a 6 pack at that price which would last your 6 months. :)

x

Thanks!

The Stronghold, she told me the vet would have to administer it, so I presumed it was the cost for one treatment. But TBH, she didn't really explain it to me very well (or maybe I was being dumb), and was a bit pushy over the phone. But if need be, I can try that next month if I'm unsatisfied :)

The bath is the least of your worries Maixmus, it was the one floating in my tea that creeped me out :D

Last edited:
I used to race greyhounds and always treated fleas and worms at the same time.

I always used frontline or advantage and used drontal worming tablets and re dosed for worms after 2 weeks as the first worming dose didnt kill the eggs.
This site explains a wee bit - Frontline, Drontal, Fleas, Worms, Wormers, A-Z Animal Care, Dog Grooming Kent, Cat Grooming Kent

and most of the time bought flea treatment and wormers from here - Pet Supplies | Frontline Spot On, Dog Food, Cat Litter, Beds & Treats

My ex-landlady had a cat who'd caught fleas while she was away for a fortnight last summer. By the time she got back the house was infested. When muggins here moved in in the september I was bitten to the point of distraction by the bloomin fleas. After using can upon can of the Bob Martins stuff to no avail I decided to order some Indorex from Amazon (much cheaper than in the vets by the way). That cured the problem very very quickly, and we had no more problems with fleas other than the odd one or two that woke up recently.

Indorex is the way forward, and quite cheap for a big can on Amazon. Vet Kem Acclaim (also quite cheap on Amazon) also works a treat :)

I'm sooo glad I'm moving to a pet-free household next year! :D:D

We use Fontline on our dog, Sox.. We used to use the combo one but as we've never had an infestation, the Vet suggested just using the normal one (Which we now get online at 'PetPlanet' where it's cheaper! Lol).

Two days after giving him his flea treatment, we came across a dog with fleas.. Sox needed a wash anyway thanks to rolling in something rather questionable! So we bathed him & as I was drying him off, found a DEAD flea! It had hopped on from the other dog & obviously died rather quickly thanks to Frontline :D We've not noticed a single flea since! Gotta love that stuff!

My Vet has always told me to be careful with things like flea collars because they tend not to work.. Same goes for things like 'Wilko's Flea Treatment' or their Worming Treatment.. We use Frontline for fleas & Drontal for worms.. Never had a problem :)

Our cats (years ago) got fleas & we had to buy a huge spray from the Vet which killed everything! Only needed Frontline on the cats themselves though & it did the trick.

Hope it clears up soon.. Those things give me the creeps! Lol. Same as headlice *shudders*

We prevent rather than cure - use Advocate (spot on) for fleas and ticks, and Milbemax (chewable tablet) for worms.

Unfortunately we have to double up on the 10-25kg doses as we have a rather large dog!

Unfortunately we have to double up on the 10-25kg doses as we have a rather large dog!

I know the feeling with 2 that weigh in at 85 kilos :eek:

The other 5 are under 10 kilos.

It feels like we need a second mortgage each time we do them.
bigboysinbed-1.jpg

SANTA AND KLAUS 8 MONTHS OLD !!!

35616_440973141814_515256814_6412565_7638413_n.jpg

Koda relaxing on Dads picnic table.....

38405_451150206814_515256814_6691531_6589977_n.jpg

Such a handsome boy

We've always used Frontline Combo from the Vets, and never had any problem, but recently had to switch to Bayer Advocate because our dog has a love of eating slugs and snails:eek:

Flea update:

We're still getting the odd scratch from the dog, and still finding the odd flea on him, but the scratching seems to be far less, we're not itchy at all, so I'm hoping it's just the odd stray flea, desperately trying to cling to life. I would check the cat, but he has such thick fur, that's it's nearly impossible! But any bits we could see had no fleas.

urghh hate fleas we have 2 yorkies one has terrible flea alergy he rips his hair out over night we never have seen a flea on him either!

we ended up ripping all the carpets up and going for hard flooring that we hoover regulary ..he has to have effipro on from vets twice a month if he dosnt he has to have 2-3 anti itch jabs

this year we fenced of our grassed area and only let dogs on patio area ... no chewed hair at all this year!!!.. and opt for dog beach rather then parks to walk them

nothing you can buy over the counter is any good the active ingrediants are so low thats why they are sold in pet shops and not sold by a vet

How is Hugo doing ?? I have thought about him often.

How is Hugo doing ?? I have thought about him often.

Oh bless you! He is doing ok, we are flea free finally. He is still a handfull and quite unreliable, but we're getting used to it now. It's still a shame he is aggressive, as he is quite a head turner, and he rewards his admirers with barks, but we are finding him easier to control when he is in a barky situation, and I think he will always hate the postman!

Your pups are beautiful! I've always wanted a Great Dane, but there is time yet I'm sure. There's several in my town, and one of them has to wear shoes on his back feet, bless him :)

I love your avatar.
You are a good soul to have persevered with him. Many would have given up.

hugs xxxxx

Glad you're flea-free now. It's such a horrible, helpless feeling when they're appearing all the time.

We had to get our house proffesionally sprayed as well as the frontline on our cats. To be honest though, it seemed a bargain compared with the sprays you buy to DIY that never bloody work anyway (esp as the poor bloke had to move all the furniture to get to the skirting, which is where they best love to lurk apparently).

I thought I'd just give you some more info about fleas:mad:

I always make sure our cat has her flea protection each month. However, recently it didn't work & the house became infected.

I went to the vets & got the spray stuff which didn't work. After reading this thread I considererd buying smoke bombs. In the end I decided not to spend any more money on something which may not work & decided to get a man in who could.

We had a wasp nest a few weeks ago & got a man in who sucessfully got rid of them. I decided he was the man who could & he did:D

He did tell me the Advantage flea stuff by Bayer I'd ordered would work, he also said fleas don't live in fabric but cracks & each time you walk on the floorboards etc they jump up. As we know the eggs can live for a while & will hatch when it warms up a little.

Back