Extra Easy Days Getting some flavour into Quorn

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by charlottegrace1, 9 January 2010 Social URL.

1. charlottegrace1

charlottegrace1 Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    SW
    I am doing a bolognese later this week using quorn mince, but while its ok, I would like to try and get a more meaty taste going through it so its more like a proper bolognaise. So...I was wondering if anyone has ever tried marinating the quorn in bovril or something before cooking it, or anything else to give it a bit more of a meaty umph!

Suggestions please on a postcard to...

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    I crumble 3 oxo cubes into it for 2 of us!

4. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I usually add a splash of soy sauce, splash of worcestershire sauce (not for veggies), pinch of sweetener, crumbled stock cube and a sprinkling of schwatz italian garlic seasoning. Also works well with a basic tomato sauce.

5. Devon Dolce

Devon Dolce 1lb at a time!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.33%)
    Agree with the two fabulous ladies above - beef stock, Worcester sauce etc. xx

6. Donnie46

Donnie46 Slow but sure....

Start Weight:
    22st0lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(11.36%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Green Days only.
    I usually crumble 2 red oxo cubes into some passata with mixed herbs and a chopped clove of garlic and then the whole lot goes into the bolognese when I make it.

7. ladela

ladela Member

Try making it the day before and sticking it in the fridge - it seems to absorb the flavour better if left. I made a chilli a few days ago on the morning and by the time we had it on the evening it tasted gorgeous (and I'm not really a big lover of quorn). Your idea with the Bovril sounds good - just leave it as long as possible.

8. StripedDaisy

StripedDaisy A sucker for a key change

Diet:
    Slim & Save
    I also add a couple of oxo's to turkey mince (much cheaper and less fatty) to make it meatier.

9. StaceyUK

StaceyUK Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Not for meatiness, but adding some olives, capers and sundried tomatoes (don't forget to syn the olives/sun dried tomatoes) really adds to a bolognese! And the few syns, in my opinion, are worth it!

10. charlottegrace1

charlottegrace1 Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    SW
    Thank you ladies for your suggestions, I will start and experiment over the next few weeks. I think I am going to start with leaving it in the fridge with some bovril, and see what happens. I do normaly cook it with lots of herbs, bisto, worcester sauce etc, but it still seems to taste a bit "thin" so just looking to improve the taste and feel in the mouth. Will let you know how they turn out.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.