Extra Easy Days Getting some flavour into Quorn

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
I am doing a bolognese later this week using quorn mince, but while its ok, I would like to try and get a more meaty taste going through it so its more like a proper bolognaise. So...I was wondering if anyone has ever tried marinating the quorn in bovril or something before cooking it, or anything else to give it a bit more of a meaty umph!

Suggestions please on a postcard to...

I crumble 3 oxo cubes into it for 2 of us!

I usually add a splash of soy sauce, splash of worcestershire sauce (not for veggies), pinch of sweetener, crumbled stock cube and a sprinkling of schwatz italian garlic seasoning. Also works well with a basic tomato sauce.

Agree with the two fabulous ladies above - beef stock, Worcester sauce etc. xx

I usually crumble 2 red oxo cubes into some passata with mixed herbs and a chopped clove of garlic and then the whole lot goes into the bolognese when I make it.

Try making it the day before and sticking it in the fridge - it seems to absorb the flavour better if left. I made a chilli a few days ago on the morning and by the time we had it on the evening it tasted gorgeous (and I'm not really a big lover of quorn). Your idea with the Bovril sounds good - just leave it as long as possible.

I also add a couple of oxo's to turkey mince (much cheaper and less fatty) to make it meatier.

Not for meatiness, but adding some olives, capers and sundried tomatoes (don't forget to syn the olives/sun dried tomatoes) really adds to a bolognese! And the few syns, in my opinion, are worth it!

Try making it the day before and sticking it in the fridge - it seems to absorb the flavour better if left. I made a chilli a few days ago on the morning and by the time we had it on the evening it tasted gorgeous (and I'm not really a big lover of quorn). Your idea with the Bovril sounds good - just leave it as long as possible.

Thank you ladies for your suggestions, I will start and experiment over the next few weeks. I think I am going to start with leaving it in the fridge with some bovril, and see what happens. I do normaly cook it with lots of herbs, bisto, worcester sauce etc, but it still seems to taste a bit "thin" so just looking to improve the taste and feel in the mouth. Will let you know how they turn out.

Back