GREEN DAYS ONLY - systemas diary

Nowt to do with slimming but watching Mrs Brown's Boys - read lots about it but never seen it as we do not spend lots of time in UK - wow - isn't it brilliant.:D:D my kind of comedy.

nooooooooooo I wonder if it got better from the first seris as that was terrible...really not funny? never watched the second though...maybe there is even a third now?

FOR FATGOTAGO - This is a VEGAN cake which my OH makes quite often.

FRUIT CAKE - EVERYTHING LESS --- Rose Elliot

225gms (8 oz) cooking dates - not sugar rolled
275g (10 fl oz) water
450gms (1 lb) mixed driedfruit
175gms (6oz) chickpea flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
grated rind of 1 orange or lemon
4 tablespoons orange juice
56gms (2oz) ground almonds
few flaked almonds for top

Set the oven to 160 C (325F) gas mark 3.
Grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin and line with a strip of grease-proof paper.
Put the dates and water into a saucepan and heat gently until dates are soft, then remove from heat and mash to break up dates.
Put into a bowl then add dried fruit, flour, baking powder, spice , grated rind, ground almonds and orange juice.
Spoon mixture into the tin, level top. Sprinkle with almonds and bake for about 1 and ½ hours, until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool a little in tin, turn cake out and finish cooling on a wire rack.

Thanks for the messages and encouragement. Having looked at what I eat I think the carbs are the answer - too many of them I think. I weighed out the amount of rice I had yesterday and it was a lot (counted the cals and was suprised at the numbers) will cut down the portion sizes of them.
Onward and down ward :woohoo:

How much rice do you weigh Systema? I used to use loads and found the same thing so now I cut it down to about 70g (dry weight) which does lool really meagre to me but seems to do the job.

I will put the pictures on when I get back from Town - mine was more like 35gms and when I put it in the bowl thought I might as well not have bothered with it - will up it a bit next time.
I had cooked rice for everybody and just left mine in the dish so I would have had to have gone and pinched more of their plates :D

SATURDAY 16TH JUNE

BREAKFAST
Porridge - fruit and yoghurt ---- HEX B

LUNCH
Dhal and Rice
Apple

DINNER
Thai Veg with Noodles

TOTAL
1 HEX B -- SYNS Highlights 6 - Coconut Milk 2 and half - Oil 2 -- Juice 1 --- 11 and half

DHALANDRICE.jpg

Think I went a little mean with the rice - that is all there is - none under the Dhal

5ADAY.jpg

All this went into the bowl!!!

ASIANMIX.jpg

oh yum thanks very much for cake recipe have lots chickpea flour in too lol. will try making that got plenty dates too. gotta get almonds n stuff

Am I right in thinking you cook vegan for yourself and meat for other members of the family? Wonder if it worked out okay.. ? :)

fatgottago said:

Nah lol... I know you have converted him ;) and none of you ate meat before anyway right?!

Think in the next four weeks or so I'll be fully vegan but never ever would the hubby be... And I wouldn't expect him if that's not what he wanted :)

hahahaha well cause me and hubby are best pals we think along the same lines and its just what I feel he feels and its good chemistry lol and we are animal lovers too and the horrific vids we saw on you tube really sealed the deal :( but :) on veganism. Modern farming methods are shocking and really unnesesary for the food industry to make money and feed greedy guts humans en masse

fatgottago said:
hahahaha well cause me and hubby are best pals we think along the same lines and its just what I feel he feels and its good chemistry lol and we are animal lovers too and the horrific vids we saw on you tube really sealed the deal :( but :) on veganism. Modern farming methods are shocking and really unnesesary for the food industry to make money and feed greedy guts humans en masse

I didn't even know the connection between milk farming and the cruelty... Until I researched! I wonder how many ppl would change their mind if they knew the facts! I'm stupid enough to admit I never though of cows being pregnant to produce milk??? Of course if I have ever needed to think about it I would have worked it out but it's surprising how uneducated we can be :/

sadly its true that most people would rather turn a blind eye for their bellies. but im not wanting any part in it anymore. makes me sick also the egg industry kill male chicks by grinding them live and they used in low grade meat products. male chicks are killed so brutally cause the dont lay eggs so are not worth any money and thats standard egg industry practice!!! so against nature!

Am I right in thinking you cook vegan for yourself and meat for other members of the family? Wonder if it worked out okay.. ? :)

Our son is vegan and has been for 20 odd years but he does not live with us - he has been here for the last 2 weeks and comes at week-ends. I am veggie and my hubby and mother in law (who we are here looking after at the moment) are both meat eater.

Tonight I have cooked 2 meat meals and 2 vegan -when he is here I usually eat what he eats and get them ready first and then start again. If we are having something similar to the other 2 I will make ours and put his in the empty microwave so there is no chance of his being spoiled by anything getting on his plate.

When hubby and I are at home I tend to make and freeze lots of food like buying a joint of meat, cooking it then freeze in 1 portion sizes then I just cook the veg and add what ever I am having or I will freeze meat curry and make a couple of veggie ones and he will eat them along with his meat one.
Also I can eat the same meal a couple of days running so just reheat mine the next day and make him something different.
It can be a bit difficult and makes a lot more work when you don't eat the same food but I am lucky that my OH will eat veggie a couple of days a week if it is curry or pasta.

Thought I would show you the potatoes I bought in Morrisons - they are the tastiest potatoes I have had in ages.

POTATOES.jpg

Beginning of a new week - off to the Gym soon so see what happens weight wise this week.
We are taking friends out for Lunch this week and they chose the Pub - it is one "posh" place and just had a look on line at the menu - :eek::eek:
2 veggie options one I dont like and one I would not go anywhere near - upmarket cauliflower quiche full of double cream and cheese etc.
Looks like I will end up with cheese sandwich and tomato juice :D

made the vegan friut cake, looks yum, in the oven now but did not have a loaf tin using a brownie tin and check it in 45mins? thanks for the recipe, so easy and I always wondered how to use chickpea flower in a cake. is it nice?

SUNDAY 17TH JUNE

BREAKFAST
Porridge - fruit - yoghurt --- HEX B

LUNCH
Tomato and Red Pepper soup with salad
Jelly - fruit - yoghurt

DINNER
Pav Bhaji and Pitta Bread ---- 1 HEX B

2 Ryvita Crackerbread and 2 cheese triangles - 2 syns - 1 HEX A - These Ryvita crackerbreads were like eating fluffy cardboard - waste of 2 syns.

TOTAL - 1 HEX A - 2 HEX B - SYNS -- Highlights 4 - Jelly and juice 2 - pickle 1 - dressing 1 - Ryvita 2 - Syns 10

TOMATOANDPEPPERSOUPANDSALAD.jpg

PAVBHAJI.jpg

This is Mumbai Street Food which is usually made from lots of different cooked veg, mashed together and cooked in loads of butter and Pav means the bread which is dipped in lots of butter but Pitta makes more sense!!

Cook onions, garlic and ginger then add Pav Bhaji spices (from Indian shop)and stir in, add mashed veg and chopped tomatoes & more chilli if you want it hotter. Keep mixing until everything is hot adding a little water if it gets too thick. Put on a plate and sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Use any veg you want but always have potatoes.

I added beans for more protein.

MONDAY 19TH JUNE

BREAKFAST
Porridge - fruit - yoghurt - HEX B

LUNCH
Mushroom pate and Toast with salad - HEXB

Jelly - fruit and yoghurt - 1 syn

DINNER
Cauliflower, Broccoli and Pinto beans pasta with Asparagus - 2 HEX A in cheese

Apple

TOTAL - 2 HEX A - 2 HEX B SYNS - Highlights 4 - Pickle and Dressing 2.5 - Cheese sauce 3 - Juice - Total 10.5 syns

Last edited:
Back