Helping you set your recommended amount of calories...

Saw the dr today and she really didn't help but try and refer me to a weight loss group done by the NHS ran by dietitians and such (as a group they can get more people done lol). I have a blood test to check my thyroid just in case. After wards I went to the gym and got sorted for a new routine and such lots a good tummy and arm exercises now whoo hooo. Then my MIL popped by to pick up my son and told me the most sensible thing I have heard about my weight gains. She said I am gaining because I practically starved my body for 7 months and now its holding everything it can get just in case I starve it again. Hopefully this wont last long I really would like to start STS or losing a bit. She said it could take 6 months for my body to regulate its self properly again. I know she isn't the most knowledgeable on these things but it makes the most sense other then my dr who said 'I was afraid this would happen'. So I am going to try what you gals are saying and keep to about 1600ish cals thanks for all the support hopefully i will have more answers soon!

U on the right way.... It will take time, but in longterm it will be better. Don't give up! Look forward not back! We are here for u!!! Xx

Yeah, I will have to look out a good vid for you I watched about metabolism damage. It takes roughly as long as you were starving yourself for your metabolism to be normal again but you should definitely lose before then. Don't worry and keep at it. The science and Maths are there

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Keep going Tam :)

Smack that depression in the face and don't let it win .!! You can do it .!! Look how far You'v come xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I know you probably don't want to hear it but your mother in law is actually correct :) lol

Our bodies like to be fed and when they're not they go into starvation mode and hold on for dear life to anything that passes our lips. Just in case we never feed it agsin.

You are going to have to be patient I'm afraid and persevere with eating a sensible diet with a reasonable amount of calories.

If you eat around 1600 calories for a few weeks. You may well put weight on but then if you start to decrease slowly to 1500 etc then you will start losing again.

Hopefully your body then gets the message that you're not going to starve it again and it will begin to let the fat stores go and you'll start to lose. :) x

Yeah, I will have to look out a good vid for you I watched about metabolism damage. It takes roughly as long as you were starving yourself for your metabolism to be normal again but you should definitely lose before then. Don't worry and keep at it. The science and Maths are there

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

If you find it that will be fab! Hopefully my body will kick start again as long as I don't have to buy bigger trousers I'll be happy!

I know you probably don't want to hear it but your mother in law is actually correct :) lol

Our bodies like to be fed and when they're not they go into starvation mode and hold on for dear life to anything that passes our lips. Just in case we never feed it agsin.

You are going to have to be patient I'm afraid and persevere with eating a sensible diet with a reasonable amount of calories.

If you eat around 1600 calories for a few weeks. You may well put weight on but then if you start to decrease slowly to 1500 etc then you will start losing again.

Hopefully your body then gets the message that you're not going to starve it again and it will begin to let the fat stores go and you'll start to lose. :) x

No its what I wanted to hear. I just hope my body will lose a bit on the road to recovery. I will keep eating (not that you could stop me now lol) ill exercise my tummy off and hope for the best fingers crossed some of what my body is saving is going to these abs that seem to have gotten lost in there lol :)

Question for calories. At the moment I aim for 1400-1600 calories a day. According to my fit bit I on average to burn around 2700 cal during the day with how active I am. So I now am wondering am I eating enough? It puts me under a 1000 cal deficit (ie losing 2lbs a week). Is that ok? Or do you think I may be starving myself still?

Personally it would be to low sweety.... If you could aim for minimum (please don't slap me ;-) ) 1800 or even 2000 kcal! Go on your workout days the higher kcal and on your resting days the lower kcal. So maybe 2000 workout and on resting days 1600-1800. Usally i go with minus 20% from my tdee and max 30% everything else i find to low.
Hope i could help a bit.

I was the same... But then when you make the right food choices you get there and you feel good about it. I barely eat sweets now, and i used to be an chocoholic! One big tub Ben&jerry no prob...or bar of 200g chocolate in one go. My head needed to get around it.... Now i am eating 1800 and plus but good stuff. And my body thanks me. I am more alert and feeling way better not tiered anymore ad i used to be.

I was the same... But then when you make the right food choices you get there and you feel good about it. I barely eat sweets now, and i used to be an chocoholic! One big tub Ben&jerry no prob...or bar of 200g chocolate in one go. My head needed to get around it.... Now i am eating 1800 and plus but good stuff. And my body thanks me. I am more alert and feeling way better not tiered anymore ad i used to be.

Have you lost weight ..??
What weight are you .? And how tall are you ..??
We may have already been there with this question .! Lol

No worries for asking :) i am 5`5 high. Weight now 149pounds used to be 185pounds. My kcals are set by : 1850kcal but mostly go over.... Still loosing some inches

No worries for asking :) i am 5`5 high. Weight now 149pounds used to be 185pounds. My kcals are set by : 1850kcal but mostly go over.... Still loosing some inches

Oh I'm only 5ft lol ... And 143lbs .!! My tdee based on this and light exercise .. Is 1860 ... I have set calories for me at 1400 nearly .!
X

Oh I'm only 5ft lol ... And 143lbs .!! My tdee based on this and light exercise .. Is 1860 ... I have set calories for me at 1400 nearly .!
X

Linski - I know you are struggling to find your 'happy' calories - have you considered the theory of Eating For The Person You Want to Be?

I read about it on Fit2Fat Radio under the BMR calculator. It will obviously mean taking the scenic route but I like the principle!

I've looked back in my diary and when I hit my lowest weight of 10.10 in May I was eating in the region of 1600 calories which has shocked me in a way - I thought I was eating less than that. Having an honest record of what I have eaten on Minimins and MFP has really helped me to assess my weight loss history.

Give it a go ... it will be interesting to see how many cals they reckon you could eat and still lose weight :)

I'm finding my calories hard to manage on atm with things I've had going on. Keep going over and then thinking **** it and binging
I've changed my MFP settings to only lose 1lb a week and its given me and 200 calories to play with.

Am now on 1900 so will be interested to see what impact it has on my loses. I'm 5'11, 245lb and not very active (walk everywhere but don't do 'exercise as such)

Back