Helping you set your recommended amount of calories...

What are my stats? I always use the MFP app so I probably haven't updated them since I first joined! I'm 15.10 stone now :( that's what messing around with different diets & wasting time does..

I feel like if the weight loss is too slow then I'll give up & end up resorting back to a VLCD again, which I really don't want. I've set my activity level as sedentary now that I can't exercise, and TDEE minus 30% while being sedentary is 1550 & MFP gives me 1580 to lose 1.5lbs a week - so guess either way it's the same!

Lauren. If you use the MFP settings you can then eat your exercise cals back so go for 1580 and when your leg improves you can always gain more through exercise.

Using the % below TDEE calculator you don't eat exercise cals as its already formulated in.

I didn't do anything complicated to work my calories out.
I just settled on a number and stuck to that. I'm 5'11 and started at 293lbs and set my calories at 1700. I don't do any real exercise but walk 2 miles a day (not that fast)
I consistently lost average 2lb a week. No idea what i should be eating a week. I'm probably the tallest/fatest (247) on this thread so i guess it sounds about right.

For the last ten days have been off intentionally off plan, but will go back to 1700 on Sunday.

We'll do just fine x
The ones if us who have adopted this approach gave stalled big time ..!! So were going to see how it goes x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

We'll do just fine x
The ones if us who have adopted this approach gave stalled big time ..!! So were going to see how it goes x

That's what i mean. At my height/weight if I'm eating 1700 - 1900 sounds a lot for someone shorter with only a little bit to lose.

That's what i mean. At my height/weight if I'm eating 1700 - 1900 sounds a lot for someone shorter with only a little bit to lose.

Oh ... I see what you mean ... So 1500 for me seems too much .?? With my short arse stature abd only half a stone to lose .??!!!!!
We stalled on lower cals ... So have increased as our bodies have apparently gone into starvation mode.!!!
I'm going to lessen my carbs ..!! To 100g or less .. My body responds to that ... If nothing happens ill go down x

linski24 said:
Oh ... I see what you mean ... So 1500 for me seems too much .?? With my short arse stature abd only half a stone to lose .??!!!!!
We stalled on lower cals ... So have increased as our bodies have apparently gone into starvation mode.!!!
I'm going to lessen my carbs ..!! To 100g or less .. My body responds to that ... If nothing happens ill go down x

Nah 1500-1700 sounds about right I'd guess. Was thinking more or Lauren eating at 1900.
The other thing some people suggest is mixing it up over the week - having some lower and some higher days so your body is always guessing. I might try that if I stall - although I wish MFP had a function to spread you calories over the week.

Hopefully carb reduction will work for you. I think what I eat is important as well, I lose better when I eat homemade stuff rather than pre bought stuff. I could quite happily eat junk and still come under calories but not lose - I guess it's sweetened and salt and stuff.I'm not a veggie fan but I like HM soup and seem to have better results when I eat it.

What should be simple is blinking complicated at times.

Nah 1500-1700 sounds about right I'd guess. Was thinking more or Lauren eating at 1900.
The other thing some people suggest is mixing it up over the week - having some lower and some higher days so your body is always guessing. I might try that if I stall - although I wish MFP had a function to spread you calories over the week.

Hopefully carb reduction will work for you. I think what I eat is important as well, I lose better when I eat homemade stuff rather than pre bought stuff. I could quite happily eat junk and still come under calories but not lose - I guess it's sweetened and salt and stuff.I'm not a veggie fan but I like HM soup and seem to have better results when I eat it.

Agreed it is complicated ..!!!
I do make my own stuff.. Pretty good .. However im a snacker.! My BIG downfall .!!
I might make done soup .. Haven't for a while :)

Love home made soup and swear by it when I'm on a losing streak!

It is frustrating that MFP can't work out your cals weekly ... I'm going back to making a spreadsheet again to help me average it out. It's a nightmare keeping on top of my Minimins, MFP and spreadsheet but it really keeps me focussed!

linski24 said:
Agreed it is complicated ..!!!
I do make my own stuff.. Pretty good .. However im a snacker.! My BIG downfall .!!
I might make done soup .. Haven't for a while :)

I hate cooking, and am lazy. My BF won't eat anything that doesn't come with chips and beans so not worth it for me. Soup is about the only thing I make - a huge vat at a time and eat it for snacks or at work.
I'm a mega snacker, it's not bad tho as long as you remember to count it. I just need to work on the 'quality' of my snacks so they fill me up and don't sugar spike.

Ali* said:
Love home made soup and swear by it when I'm on a losing streak!

It is frustrating that MFP can't work out your cals weekly ... I'm going back to making a spreadsheet again to help me average it out. It's a nightmare keeping on top of my Minimins, MFP and spreadsheet but it really keeps me focussed!

Oooh. Not thought of doing a spread sheet.
I do think the way for me when I get closer to goal is to have a couple of low days, to balance out a couple of high days.
We eat out a lot and its hard to fit that in occasionally.

I'm gonna take the majority advice off here & MFP and eat the reccomended 1580 to lose 1.5lb a week.. then when I'm slimmer & lighter and there's less pressure on my knees I'll attempt exercise regularly again.

I hate cooking, and am lazy. My BF won't eat anything that doesn't come with chips and beans so not worth it for me. Soup is about the only thing I make - a huge vat at a time and eat it for snacks or at work.
I'm a mega snacker, it's not bad tho as long as you remember to count it. I just need to work on the 'quality' of my snacks so they fill me up and don't sugar spike.

I agree about sugar/insulin spikes.!! Instead if crisps have 10 whole almonds :)

MissAmy said:

I use the weekly calorie graph on MFP - as long as my weekly intake is in the right range I don't worry about how the daily figures are spread out. :) xx

linski24 said:
I agree about sugar/insulin spikes.!! Instead if crisps have 10 whole almonds :)

Absolutely! I make up little 100 calorie snack packs of almonds (about 15 almonds) and use them instead of something like low fat crisps - much healthier and lower GL. xx

Hello! I've just been reading about TDEE (am unheard concept to me previously) I was hoping someone could help me out?

I used the link given to work mine out ... I'm 22, 5ft3 and 125 lbs. I'm lightly active but I'm starting the 30 day shred now too. Fr the time being I've just put lightly active in. The number given for my BMI was 1391 and for TDEE it's 1913. Taking 20% away from TDEE I'm left with 1530. Does that mean I can eat 1530 a day to loose weight?

I'd also love some advice for how I put this into MFP. Do I just add that into my custom goal and leave exercise as 0 as TDEE includes exercise?

X

Hello! I've just been reading about TDEE (am unheard concept to me previously) I was hoping someone could help me out?

I used the link given to work mine out ... I'm 22, 5ft3 and 125 lbs. I'm lightly active but I'm starting the 30 day shred now too. Fr the time being I've just put lightly active in. The number given for my BMI was 1391 and for TDEE it's 1913. Taking 20% away from TDEE I'm left with 1530. Does that mean I can eat 1530 a day to loose weight?

I'd also love some advice for how I put this into MFP. Do I just add that into my custom goal and leave exercise as 0 as TDEE includes exercise?

X

You're right on all counts :)
Why on earth do you want to lose any more weight ..??? At 5'3" and 125lbs I'd have thought you were perfect ..!!

X

You're 5ft 3 & 125lbs? That's teeny! I don't think you'd need to lose anymore? If you're looking at getting toned & losing bodyfat then 30 day shred would be ideal, but as jillian says - for people looking to lose a few pounds and lower body fat they shouldn't have a huge deficit, so maybe only make a 10% cut from your TDEE to preserve lean muscle mass. But yep you manually enter it into MFP :) x

Back