How are you target members doing out there?

Molly I really would see your Dr as there might be a medical reason for your unexplained weight loss and it should be investigated

Mollymolly, do you like avocado? It's strictly syns, but I have it as a hex now I'm maintaining. Lots of good fat.

Jaffa I had a read of Gwella's diary and she explains why she's using other foods now she's at target. I'm more than a little concerned that SW is low fat and I just use frylight all the time. I have had the odd EVOO but try not to. A member at my group has been at target for 4 years and has been diagnosed with RA and has started using coconut oil to help...also nuts etc. She thinks she's been missing out on the good fats for too long. Could be true?

On green days there are loads of nuts you can have as a hex which I used to do quite a lot but I have got out of the habit

I don't syn avocado but might only have it once or twice a month not often anyway.

I do worry good fats are missing but I try to have salmon and tuna and I do sometimes use EVOO and I know my husband uses a bit when we have acti fry but between two people I don't mind especially as I rarely have my hex a nowadays

But yes I think there should be a healthy fat hex as well like calcium and fibre nor instead of fibre

That's a good idea Gwella, but sadly avocado (along with baked beans and whole chickpeas) are something I really can't bear. It's a texture thing ... though I suppose I could incorporate it into a veggie smoothie. Mind you, I don't like textured drinks either lol. Goodness I sound like such a fussy eater :(

The whole fats thing I try to work round with using EVOO for syns and eating oily fish at least twice a week - pilchards, sardines, fresh mackerel, salmon, kippers... I LOVE fish! The seed mix I bought today should help too :)

LOL Janet ... I always attribute my love of fish to my birthplace and being practically weaned on the stuff ;) My Granddad used to fish off the pier and we always bought our fish straight from the boats down by the old town :D

I do indeed have a plan Jaffa ... whether it works or not remains to be seen mind you lol :)

Yes Molly you can still buy fresh fish in the Old Town but these days they have shops and refrigerated displays in the window...H&S etc! I expect you know the pier is no more after an arson attack a few years ago but thankfully the town has worked hard and gained lottery money and grants etc so the renovation work is underway. Should be finished by next Spring. But looking at the plans it won't be a traditional pier anymore...mores the pity IMO!

Yes, the pier was a sad loss :( It held so many happy memories for me. I was down fairly regularly until a few years ago but haven't visited since my Grandmother died as she was my last tie to the area. Even then the town was definitely looking better than it did in the 90's though - much cleaner and smarter even with the pier closed. The town has always been such a 'poor relation' compared to it's neighbours, it was nice to see it looking less shabby when i was last there :D

I agree about the state of the town and area generally. Although I was born in Cornwall by the time I was 4yrs old I was living in Hastings. Somehow I never really liked being here and yearned to live somewhere else, anywhere!! After my marriage ended in 1992 I went on to happily remarry. My husband is from West Sussex and is a missionary preacher and yes, I've travelled plenty and seen so many countries, particularly Africa and including living for 14yrs in Spain. We finally returned to live in Hastings in March 2012 because my family are all still here. And you know what? It's not as bad as I remember and I actually am enjoying living here again! :D

I love places by the sea where you can buy loads of fresh fish. Cornwall is one of my favourite places :) Sadly here in Peckham I can only buy fish at Morrisons (where it's boney and not always fresh) or at one of the stalls (which have flies over them and where I'm not sure whether it's ethically fished or not).

Yes, just want to reiterate that avocado isn't really a hex. But I don't like to count things that are actually quite healthy as 'syns', especially now I'm at target. I know syns don't really mean 'sins' but the connotation is still there! That's why I allow myself half an avocado as a hex now I'm at target - and I think it would be a healthy way for someone struggling to stay at a high enough weight to get some calories (if she liked it!).

I found that when on strict SW I was getting hardly any good fats (always used my hexB for breakfast bread, and my hexAs for cheese) and I think long-term that is a big concern - it was the major thing highlighted as missing in my SW diet on my nutrition course. I do get issues now if I eat a lot of olive oil or something, which I've heard can be due to the gallbladder getting out of practice. I have a touch of osteoarthritis so am keen to protect my joints.

Nowadays I'm more relaxed about hexes - I have about 4 a day (mostly doing Green days with some fish) and I don't pay too much attention to what they are, but I do check that every day I have some protein, fibre, healthy oils and calcium (whether that's from fatfree yogurt or milk/cheese).

Hi Gwella, I read though your whole diary so know exactly where you're coming from. I agree that limiting good fats may cause us problems and see no reason not to be more liberal with them; specially once we're at target. All it takes is to keep a close eye on our weight. I do take a few supplements because of my limited food list. I'm concerned about the quality of fruit & veg available and the fact that most is GM'ed.

My father was born in Peckham! Small world! I think we have to be watchful of all fish that we buy these days because so much is farmed stuff and feed on dubious things! I discussed that somewhere here re Tilapia! Ugh!

Back