How are you target members doing out there?

Same with river cobbler.Have you seen what they feed farmed fish.

I live beside the sea(Bristol channel) and we don't have any fish shops here.So I have to use the supermarkets but I am very careful what I buy.
Cavegirl that is so hard to believe that you live so close to water and yet no fish!! The Crown Carvery chain of pub restaurants serve river cobbler...I've never tried it because it's not a common fish to me...thanks for the heads up!
I researched the tilapia and found they were fed on pig manure...not nice!! I sort of knew it was suspicious seeing small fillets of the fish when I've actually stayed on the River Nile in Uganda a few times and seen the huge fish being hauled out...
I saw a documentary (online) about Scottish salmon and how it's farmed...and how they're diseased and it still gets into the food chain. :(

I'm trying to branch out a bit into cheaper and non-endangered fish so I tried dab this week... but it wasn't that great and I got a massive bone spiked into my throat (got it out with tweezers) so won't have that again!

I used to work on a campaign against illegal fishing and looked at the terrible impact this has particularly in West Africa so try to be careful... agh, so many things to think about when we eat these days!

I'm lucky fish wise in that my eldest daughter works for a seafood restaurant that also has a fresh fish counter. They are Greenpeace approved, so I know that what I buy is from sustainable stock or farmed responsibly (and it helps that she gets her staff discount lol). Sometimes I resort to my local Asda and then I'm a bit more careful with what I buy :)

The trick with dabs is to trim (with sharp scissors) the bony fringe around the edges before cooking ... go almost into the 'meat' when you are doing it, then cook - once it's cooked the top fillets should just lift off which leaves a perfect spine and skeleton to be disposed of and virtually bone free fillets :D I quite like them, but they are a faff to prepare. I had some gorgeous line caught black bream this week - stuffed with rice crumbs, chilli flakes and fresh coriander and baked in foil, Again, a bit fiddly to prepare if you bother to remove the scales, but I just cook it with them on and discard the skin.

One fish I do eat a lot of is tinned pilchards - not only are they ethically caught and sustainable, but they are a good way for me to keep my calcium levels up as well as the whole good fats. Plus the tomato sauce makes a fab salad dressing :)

You have a good outlet there Molly. I don't think they do anything with pilchards and sardines...my husband loves pilchards but not in cans with tomato sauce so he stays with sardines, fresh & canned in olive oil. My fish is mainly canned tuna, I'm told there's no goodness in small cans but I do like it very much.

No, I do have to get my fresh sardines from the supermarket as it's not a fish they sell at my daughter's place. I'm generally not keen on tinned fish, apart from pilchards and sardines lol ... they are actually the same fish, just at different sizes :) Oh, and I am a bit keen on tinned kippers, which I use instead of smoked mackerel as they are free lol. They work really well for fish pate (quark, lemon juice, black pepper and serve on thick cut cucumber - yum!) and are surprisingly good in a risotto/kedgeree hybrid instead of smoked cod. As an added bonus the bones aren't an issue as the ones that are left are softened by the canning process :D

You will need to remind your consultant the week before as it doesn't come up automatically on their pda and you have to tell them

Also depending on dates it might be a week later or earlier then you think !

But yep nearly there

Yes I was thinking about that. I did mention it to her a few weeks ago that I was working towards it and she said "Yes I know you are..." I didn't know whether she's looked back over my record and noticed that I'd stayed in target so far or what? As far as I know I've never seen another diamond member at our group, except one that was once visiting. Anyway, thanks...I'll keep her on the ball and get her to check the date too. According to my book it was 16th October 2013 but that was 1/2lb below my target weight. That was the week she gave me the target award & badge. Do you wear your badge every week?

Woohoo Janet :D I think I need to move in with you!!

I never got a badge :( lol ... mind you, after losing another 1/2lb this week I've lowered my target a bit : My lovely consultant and I had a chat about where my target was and about how I, psychologically don't want to go over 10 stone again which left me struggling to maintain target within a 1lb range to simultaneously fill SW criteria and my own mental requirements. I didn't want to drop by the whole 7lb they normally allow you though (even though I'm already below the weight that would have been - So he then went away, consulted with his co-ordinator/head office and came back to me to say I could lower by 3, 4 or 5lb if I wanted to :D so I went with 5 and I'm now (just) in target range again, so perhaps I'll get a badge this week ;)

No I am ashamed to say I don't wear either badge which I know I should as part of the social team.

They are pinned to my book which I obviously take each week

I do wear my target badge every week...evidently my social team name badge has been ordered twice but I still don't have one!

Woohoo Janet :D I think I need to move in with you!!

I never got a badge :( lol ... mind you, after losing another 1/2lb this week I've lowered my target a bit : My lovely consultant and I had a chat about where my target was and about how I, psychologically don't want to go over 10 stone again which left me struggling to maintain target within a 1lb range to simultaneously fill SW criteria and my own mental requirements. I didn't want to drop by the whole 7lb they normally allow you though (even though I'm already below the weight that would have been - So he then went away, consulted with his co-ordinator/head office and came back to me to say I could lower by 3, 4 or 5lb if I wanted to :D so I went with 5 and I'm now (just) in target range again, so perhaps I'll get a badge this week ;)

Thanks Molly...sure you can move in with me! :D
Yes I have heard that members can change their targets without problems a couple of times. I think it's important to feel comfortable at the weight you finally choose.
I used to always be around 10st and have lost the same 1st 7lbs about 3 times. Years apart though. This time I decided to set my target at 10.5 so as not to put myself under pressure to stay too low. I also reasoned that I'm a few years older now and to be honest not into the exercise regimes that I once loved...not bone idle but just a regular walker!
Yes...go for your Target and wear the blue shiny with pride!! :p

I've always been appalling at exercise for the sake of exercise ... I seem to be incapable of 'getting into the zone' with it. Part of it is that I have so many hobbies to cram in outside of my work and family commitments that I end up resenting gym/workout time because it's taking me away from what I really want to be doing lol.

I do walk everywhere - to and from work (by an extremely circuitous route), plus walking the dogs and any extra I need in order to get in my 10000 minimum steps a day, and I do enjoy that. It's hardly an aerobic or cardio vascular workout for me though - not an amble, but a long way from power walking ;) Very occasionally I use the exercise bike in my bedroom, but it's more often used as an impromptu clothes hanger lol.

In terms of badges etc, our consultant is usually pretty good - but he is also somewhat vague so there is often a waiting period until he catches up with himself.

Well after not weighing for five weeks, birthday, holidays, daughters exam celebration's, I seriously deserved being one pound above Target last week!

So, four days on planish, and 2lb loss, so, well pleased!

Well after not weighing for five weeks, birthday, holidays, daughters exam celebration's, I seriously deserved being one pound above Target last week!

So, four days on planish, and 2lb loss, so, well pleased!

Oh Lynne...well done!! That was a great turnaround!
I love that word "Plannish"....I'm going to use that because I do it so often!! :D

Back