How Do You See Yourself?

Happy, I'm a size 18-20 ish (well I think, haven't bought any new clothes yet) and I would be so happy to be a size 12! Never have been.

I'm of course doing this for me. I've tried doing it for others and it's always failed. This time it's working because I care about myself now. As for the boy, he's been single for a few months now and isn't a stick either, and neither was his ex... Here's to hoping :)

I always think better of myself than I really am! When I started this diet my BMI was over 31 but I felt merely overweight. Now BMI is over 26 and looking at myself I feel this is my healthy weight. Don't know whether it's just my optimistic nature or it's easier to deal with other things in life that way. Go figure.. I am quite tall so wear it (read hide it!) well. :D

Becky, I like chubby.... it makes me think of cuddly as well, which is how I suppose I really feel I am.

I still can't admit and see it..... that clinically I am classed as obese!!!

RedCrystal you are quite tall, so have you thought about how you will get clothes in a size 8, which is very small. My friend is petite and she wears size 8 but she is only about 5 foot. A size 12 is now smaller than average in the UK.

I would love to be a size 10-12 but I don't know if that is sensible to aim to be that small for me. I think I will be happy when I reach size 12-14.

Just Peachey, it is great you are losing for you, but just remember, if you and this guy have been good friends, he may feel you know his secrets etc too well and may not wnat to get involved that way. men can be fickle..... also you can risk losing a good friend if things don't turn out well.

Hchappyh, I know what you mean about seeing old friends. That is why I am aiming to lose weight for my 40th as I am going to be inviting people from primary school who I haven't seen in nearly 30 years...... thanks to Facebook! At least it is keeping me motivated.

Tasha, I think we all have good and bad days, it is just I think I will feel generally better and healthier once the weight has gone. My weight is not a constant issue on my mind, but when I do think about it I realise I am not at all happy with it.

Slimmingagain, I guess it is all in the mind. If you are happy then that is the main thing.

Suzy-I'm well aware unfortunately, I've given it some thought. We've been good friends for a few years but we're not that close like that, as in we don't know each other's dark secrets, etc so maybe we're not too far into it that it'll be weird? Well it'll be weird at first either way if it does happen. Anyway, it's nothing really. It's just that I've liked him since day 1 but it was never right. We used to work together and everyone always asked us if we were a couple... there's gotta be something right? haha. I don't know. Just me having been single too long perhaps.

Peachy, I have to say, my hubby and me were friends for about 4years before we got together. At the end of March we'll have been married for 9 years and have 2 beautiful children together. I think it's good if your friends first, because once all the lust etc wears away, and it does, no matter how much I love him, if you're not friends, then what have you got together? Its a cliche I know, but he is my best friend, and I can tell him anything. I also have girlie friends etc, but with real life problems its always him that I go to, no matter what and part of that is because we know each other so well because we are friends too, not just OH's...It works for us and was never weird. Everyone always told us we'd be together and we are, worts (and fat) and all!
Good luck

P.S
Having my weigh-in later - will let you know tomorrow, fingers crossed
xx

Happy-yeah I don't think friends first is cliche, my best relationship was with somebody who was my best friend at the time so I believe what you say.

Good luck with the weigh in :)

Just Peachey, I will have my fingers crossed for you when for when you come home. Where are you? Hubby and I are also friends as I don't think any marriage can work if you aren't. However, we started dating as soon as we met and the friendship is just another part of our realtionship. We have been together for just over 9 years.

Hchappyh, as I have already commented on another post about your weigh in I will only say I know your weigh in would have gone well, thanks to Go Lower! But how well?

Stroutman, I skimmed through your article thanks, very thought provoking.

I see myself as fat, but prefer not to look!
I do dress well and take time over hair and make up etc everyday and when people find out how much I weigh they seem to be surprised - but everytime I want to look nice for any occasion I end up upset because I don't see the nice clothes or effort, I see fat and plenty of it.

I remember I had a fat friend (in the days when I was slim) she didn't have a mirror in the house that showed more than her face. Years later, I was no better. I'd catch a glimpse of myself in shop windows and look away.

Last week my daughter showed me a pic of myself taken 6 months ago on her phone. I was grotesque. My face looks like a tiny little thing stuck on top of a huge ball of dough.

Mrs Michelin.

I was ugly, fat is ugly.

I am still not slim but I am getting there.

Nothing, no 30 second hit from chocolate, or anything else is worth being that person.

Take your clothes of and look at yourself in a full length mirror.

I was obese. I am still overweight.

hchappyh - Well done! Thats an amazing weightloss :) Glad you're starting to see yourself in a better light too!

Desperate for Chocolate - I'm not quite that bad! But when I do get dressed in the morning, it's always after I'm dressed, with belly sucked in and standing up straight that I look in the mirror. A kind of denial about it looking like you said ugly.
Since I've started losing weight that's changed a bit though, now I look more, if only to try and figure out where the weight is coming off because I can't see it (other than on the boobs - but got into some jeans yesterday that I couldn't fit into when I bought them - so it is coming off even if i can't see really tell!)
I hope you don't still see yourself as grotesque generally!

Peachy - good luck with the guy :D

Last edited:
Suzy-I live in Newcastle now which I absolutely love, but home is Montreal, Canada.

Suzy and Sugar- Thanks :) Hopefully he feels the same.

I don't understand the whole not looking thing. Even at my worst I didn't have a problem looking. I didn't like what I saw but I still did. Now I make a point of it and I focus on the bits that are changing so that's nice. I now have a waist, yipee! :)

Desperate for Chocolate,

well done on getting there. I have a photo of me on the mirror in my lounge and it is one of where I want to get back to.... slim!

What diet are you doing? The one I am on allows me to have a little chocolate, supplied by them and it tastes wounderful.....

Hchappy,

I still can't really see me as getting slimmer but the scales are telling me otherwise. Well done you!

Thanks Sugar Fiend, I'm really pleased. Mirrors have never bothered me - I see what I am and that's it. The reason I'm dieting is for me, so looking in the mirror or not, makes no difference, I'd only be kidding myself.

SuzyK - I'm sorry you don't see yourself as getting slimmer, even if the scales are showing otherwise. I guess it takes time for some people. I guess I've been lucky as soooo many people have noticed already so that keeps you motivated. I've also started doing more walking. I know you don't have to exercise as such with Go Lower, but I'm going with a friend and we have a chat, a catch up and time without the kids. So the with the exercise and Go Lower, I'm feeling great.

Good luck everyone and keep going

xx

Desperate for Chocolate,

well done on getting there. I have a photo of me on the mirror in my lounge and it is one of where I want to get back to.... slim!

What diet are you doing? The one I am on allows me to have a little chocolate, supplied by them and it tastes wounderful.....

Hchappy,

I still can't really see me as getting slimmer but the scales are telling me otherwise. Well done you!

I calorie count, it is the only diet that works for me. I don't have chocolate or any treats really, I can't trust myself not to binge.

I once read an interview with Raquel Welch, she was asked how she had always managed to maintain her figure. She replied that she hadn't eaten anything she enjoyed in 20 years. I can relate to that:(

I have lost about three and a half stone (it is actually my 6 month dieting aniversary today). I have another stone to lose.

Strangely enough, I feel fatter now than when I started out. Probably because I actually look at myself now rather than hiding from the awful truth.

I still can't believe I allowed myself to get that ugly. I have no idea where my head was at.

I am never doing that to myself again.

Strangely enough, I feel fatter now than when I started out.

I can definately relate to that!! Last time i did SW i ended up so i felt worse than i did when i started!! But i had a very rocky diet attitude and was putting on one week and losing the other.

I think its because i was actually thinking about it rather than paying no notice to myself or my weight. I got to the point where i was so obsessed with it that i was forcing myself to do it and it felt like it wasnt even for me.

Im much better this time round as it just feels right, i know im doing it for me and im consistant - although my weight loss is slower. I also started measuring this time round so that if i dont agree with the scales or the mirror i have the facts right in front of me :)

Desperate for Chocolate,

well done on losing all that weight.

I know I can get very critical of my body and since I have been on this diet I am looking in the mirror much more for an improvment but I am still not seeing it. I know the weight is coming of and hopefully soon people will really start to notice and I will start to feel slimmer.....

I do plan, when I come of my diet and start maintaining to still enjoy some treats but I know I will have to be careful about keeping things sensible. At least I know I can still have a little chocolate as I have not had to give that up!!!
Sorry Rachquel Welch, no way will I do that to myself. Life is too short and we still have to enjoy it!

Pesty

I also have had problems with sticking to diets in the past. One week I would be slimmer of the week and the next week I would have gained or stayed the same and I could not stay motivated. That is why I never really stuck to them. Now the scales are showing me good results everytime I get on them and that is keeping me motivated.

I've also always been terrible when it comes to dieting. That is what I love so much about Go Lower. It's easy to do and you don't feel like you are on a diet at all. It also helps that every time I get on the scales they say a smaller number - naturally I love that!

However, I have to say, I've never had a problem at looking at myself in the mirror. It's something we've all got to do at some point during the day. Of course, I don't always like what I see, but as long as I go out looking decent and comfy in what I wear then I've been happyish. I'm dieting now for me...because I want to loose weight and feel even better about myself. As I see the weight come off, I inspect myself more to see where - I now like looking in the mirror all the more coz I can see results.

xx

That is what I love about this site, so many of us have been through the same. My dieting in the past has been so all over the place and I thought it was just me.

I agree it does not feel like I am on a diet with Go Lower but I am very happy with the results. i just wish I could see them on me rather than the scales.

I often feel find about going out until I look in the mirror, then it is a case of me trying on all my clothes until I can find something that looks OK.

I see myself extremely badly!! I always have, Trying to change the habit of a lifetime but know it will take a while. But im getting there.. dont feel very different after loosing half a stone but figure it will be a little while till I notice the difference.

Back