How Do You See Yourself?

I dont understand why most of you people look down on your self and feel bad just because your overweight? there is no reason

depression and being overweight go hand in hand unforunately, now its hard to know if depression causes over-eating or vice versa but as you might be well aware depression distorts ones thinking, communication, confidence, self concept etc. etc.

also the fact that overweight people wouldn't get the benefit of the dopamine and noradrenaline boosts from exercise, these boost a persons mood. i'm not saying all overweight people don't exercise but this is coming from my perspective;)

Peachy it won't be that miserable! I'm in my final year, skint as anything, but I've still got a lot to look forward to really!
It's just nice to have something planned (especially if it sounds as fab as your trip) to be excited for.

Suzy-yeah, definitely trying to postpone kids as much as I can, there's too much I wanna do! Obviously things don't happen the way you think they will, and as much as I am looking forward to kids, it's not gonna be for another 7-10 years really. Everyone in my family has had children really young for generations now and it was always the joke about me when I turned 20, and they still all harass me about it lol, bless them, they just can't wait to have grankids.

Peachy do you get random relatives + familiy friends asking when you're going to get married all the time? I have a boyfriend, and yes we've been going out for a few years - but they don't seem to notice that he hasn't actually proposed yet, or that I'm 22 and still at Uni so it's just not a great idea at the moment.

Sugar-yeah we're all skint aren't we lol, I just figured I might as well spend all my dough on something awesome while I can and I'm here. Europe's far from home and expensive to get to.

Hardly anyone in my family is married so they don't harass me for that, but when I was with my ex who I'd been with for a year they kept hinting at babies and it's pretty much my worst fear getting pregnant at 21 so it's not nice to hear that all the time.

I know what you're saying tho, like we're still so young, who's thinking about that?

Peachy, I love having had my kids young. I'm 33 now...married by 24. Love the fact that I'm ypung enough to enjoy them and when they eventually leave home for uni or whatever, I'll still be young enough to enjoy life and hopefully have some money so will be able to travel in some sort of luxury (here's to dreaming!). A friend of mine, her OH is going to be 50 this year and has a little one the same age as my youngest, 3. The thought of havign to run around after a 3year old is tuff at any age, but to be 50 and doing it, no thanks.

I hope Go Lower will give me the extra energy I need as I loose weight to be even more active with my kids. I love 'em, even when they're driving me crazy!

xx

Yeah it's true, my dad's 46 and his wife's giving birth in April... it's going to be funny seeing them trying to handle that. I'd just like a happy middle really, late 20's or early 30's max, there's no rush. Going to be in uni probably till my late 20's anyway so lol.

Good luck with Go Lower :)

Kids are great at the right time for YOU!!!

I had a great time travelling when I was younger but everyone does things differently and I didn't meet hubby until I was 30. When I fell pregnant with my first I was called a "mature mum" at 33!

How did your weigh in go Happy and how much have you lost this week with Go Lower??? I hope you weren't too smug if your friends loss wasn't as great as yours. Have you persuaded her yet to try Go Lower?

Sugar Fiend,
have you thought about propsing to him? or is he not the man you want to grow old with.

Peachy
what are you studying for that will keep you in uni for a few more years?

Breadbin
I am not one for feeling depressed, in fact I have quite a bit of confidence, but I do have a weight issue. I know partly that is because I am fussy but also in the past I have been so lazy when it comes to food that I would rather eat crisps than get something out the fridge. I guess we are all just different.

As for exercise, even when I used to go the gym I never got that feel good factor that some people talk about so I lost the incentive!

That is what I love about my diet with Go Lower, I lose weight without needing to exercise!

Happy-My dad isn't really excited about the baby and wasn't around much for me and my brother when we were growing up. I'm not sure he really understand how much work it is. It's funny but he's kind of having this kid to make his new wife happy cos she has none of her own.. and he doesn't intend on having a big part in his life. It makes me really sad. Hopefully he'll see that boy's little face and change his mind :) She's the least motherly person I've ever met too... so it should be interesting.

Suzy-I do linguistics actually, so all the sciences behind languages, like language maths if you will. A lot of people think linguistics=languages but it doesn't, you could be a great linguist and only speak one language. If you knew that, sorry, don't mean to be patronising! I just get asked that like every week :)

I'm going to have finished my degree by 22, I intend on doing a Master's after which is another two years, but I might take a one year break somewhere in there to work/travel, and then if I'm feeling crazy, I'll go for the Doctorate for another 4 years it is I believe. Long way ahead :(

I feel short, fat and ugly all the time! Yet pretty much get continuously told by alot of people that I'm not so it's really only how we feel about ourselves, I know at 5"2 and a size 16 it doesn't look good, especially walking around the shopping centres seeing tiny women walking around all over the place! I have no self confidence whatsoever!

Suzy - I wouldn't propose to him, don't really know why. It's not that we're not serious about each other, but that it's just not the right time at the moment, mostly for practical and money type reasons. There's going to be a lot of changes in our lives over the next year or so (when I graduate we're probably going to have to relocate and stuff). In an ideal world, if we were settled etc I'd like to be a relatively young mum, but there's things I want to do first.

Peachy7 - I'm 5ft 2 aswell, and I feel the same sometimes. I don't think other people see us that way, at least not most the time. I also think friends see me as slimmer than I do because they're looking down on me, which is a flattering angle ;) - it hides my extra chins haha.

I bet if you wear the right clothes you look amazing and if people notice you it's more likely to be because you look good than bad, unless they're looking for things in others to criticise to make themselves feel better. At this height it's easy for us to disappear into a crowd!

To get some confidence you just act like you have it, walk tall etc. block out what you see as your bad points and fake it. It seeps through and makes you realise that maybe your not as bad as you feel - at least this works for me :)

clsimpson - I noticed you've said a couple of times that you do a diet plan that "ACTUALLY works" - can you explain what you mean by that? As far as I'm aware any diet/lifestyle change/whatever you want to call it will work, as long as you stick to it.

Just Peachy, wow...... sounds fantsatic, and I needed your explantion so you haven't been at all patronising!

A doctorate! It sounds like you have a lot of hard work ahead of you but go for it. I think for most people once they stop studying they don't ever go back to it so if it was you want to do you go girl!

I was very un-maternal when I was pregnant, although I wanted a baby and had been trying for some time I was worried how I would deal with this little thing once it got here, even when I had gone past my due date!

I have to say the second he was born it was just second nature to love him, comfort him and hold him. The love I felt for him, even though in theroy, I had only just met him is indescriable. Hopefuly your dad and his wife will feel the same. Maybe now as your dad is older he might feel differently.

Hi Dannielle
I just want to say welcome to the forum. It is a great site and you will find loads of motivation and support if you need it.

Yes we are doing something about our weight, which we all know we need to, but in the past I gave up to easily and just got on with it. I was never too fussed about my weight until I wanted to go out and nothing would look nice!

What diet are you doing? I am on Go Lower, proper food and all supplied, including snacks and chocolate! It is working wonders for me.

Clsimpson, well done on your loss.

Peachy7,

it is so easy to feel negative about ourselves, especially when we know we have something we have to change. I am a firm believer in doing what is right for you and not taking others advice when they don't know the full picture.

Sugar fiend,
You will have to let us know then when he does pop the question if you are going to wait for him!

I like your theory on people looking down on you is more flattering. I have some very tall friends, who are also slim and I believe it is because they are stretched out.

As the saying goes, " I am not overweight, I am undertall!"

Last edited:
Dannielle

Good luck with your weight loss so far. I found SW didn't work for me but we are all so different. What suits me with Go Lower is how easy it is as I don't cook. I found with SW I had to plan my days and I couldn't get my head around that.

Will do Suzy (still following you haha).

btw. I love how you can talk to everyone in one post, so supportive :) I always end up loosing track and missing people out.

Hi, just a comment on the looking in the mirror thing. I don't know if its being older but I stopped really looking in the mirro years ago. I use one to check I've parted my hair properly, buttoned up my shirt, skirt not tucked in knickers but I never really see myself. I knew I was overweight before and that I had put on more weight because of the tightness (or plain not being able to get them on) of my clothes but I still didn't really see it. Then some photos were taken at an awards ceremony and I was gobsmacked. I had no idea I looked like that. But there was no hiding from it. Worst of all these photos have appeared all over the place (damn the internet). Its interesting that I've saved some of them for my own albums and marked them "Fatgirl1", "Fatgirl2" etc. Yes, how I see myself is FAT for the first time in my life. Let's hope that it can serve a useful purpose and give me some motivation.

Will do Suzy (still following you haha).

btw. I love how you can talk to everyone in one post, so supportive :) I always end up loosing track and missing people out.

I agree, can never respond to everyone in post!

Welcome Danielle, this is a great forum, loads of support and motivation here..I'm also doing Go Lower like SuzyK, and doing really well. In 7 weeks have lost 1st 10lbs. Really pleased. Have also done SW in the past, and although I did loose some weight, not enough and as soon as I stopped put it all back on again plus more!

Good luck with everything you do..

xx

Hi Judith

I know what you mean about those photos showing up..... Facebook has a lot to answer for!

I love that you check in the mirror that your skirt isn't tucked into your knickers, you did give me a little chuckle to myself. It is a bit like me as I always check my shoes when I come out of the toilet when I am out to make sure I don't have any loo paper stuck to them...

I remember once when my belt was getting tighter I didn't think that it was because I was putting on weight, it just didn't register. I felt like you, all of a sudden it hits you and it is a shock.

Sugarfiend
I am waiting.........

I like to talk to everyone as I am such a chatterbox and on here I don't have to worry about shutting up to let someone else talk. I know when I next sign on I will speak to whoever wants to talk to me.

Happy, I also did SW, and like you it didn't really work for me. I also had issues with being in front of a group of people..... Also my consultant was not a great advert...........

Back