How Do You See Yourself?

Its really weird cos my clothes were getting tighter and tighter but I managed to ignore it, avoid photos and only check my make-up in the mirror (no full-length ones!). I think deep down I knew I was putting on a lot of weight but I was too fragile to actually admit it to myself, cos once I admitted it, I knew I'd have to do something about it.

I also share a house with 3 boys, and its about time I realised that I can not drink ale and eat pizzas and stay as skinny as them!

I think I'm overweight...bordering on fat now, but not for long ;)

Syrinx I also used to house share with 3 other lads. It's soooo unfair. They were able to eat take-aways every night and drink loads. I could never keep up with them no matter how hard I tried. They never put weight on, and I put on enough for the 4 us!!

It took ages to realise, too that I was overweight, but now, 10(ish) years later, I'm doing Go Lower and feeling amazing.

xx

Ugh, I just saw a picture of me on Facebook that was taken this weekend and I just so look so fat compared to my size 8-10 flatmate. It's really upset me. I only ever realise what I look like in photos. Somehow on a day to day basis, it's like the mirror's telling a different story. This weight needs to go, and quick!

Syrinx I also used to house share with 3 other lads. It's soooo unfair. They were able to eat take-aways every night and drink loads. I could never keep up with them no matter how hard I tried. They never put weight on, and I put on enough for the 4 us!!

It took ages to realise, too that I was overweight, but now, 10(ish) years later, I'm doing Go Lower and feeling amazing.

Its highly unfair! And thanks to them I developed the taste for ale...which is not a good thing for my delicate stomach. Tonight I came down from my work-out and one of my housemates shoved a doughnut in my face, I nearly slapped him! He goes for a run a few days a week but comes back and has a fry-up, this does not make sense :confused:

Just Peachy, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes in photos I look ok, and then sometimes I'm stood next to someone slim and I look like a house-end, facebook should be banned, I cant count the number of photos I've had to detag :sigh2:

Syrinx-seriously, the sheer amount of time I waste doing that.. mind you I avoid the camera as much as possible but sometimes it's inevitable.

I always try to stay away from the slimmest people in a group if the cameras are out! Oh, or carefully position myself behind people so you can only see my face - this is easier said than done when your my height! At the very least, half of me should be hidden by other people!

If there was no such thing as photos it would be so much easier to ignore the way I look!
Mirrors make me think I can look as presentable all day as when I leave the house, not true haha, as soon as I step away the tummy isn't held in quite so much and the hair and make up gradually gets messed up, not good when photos are there to remind me of reality.

Mirrors make me think I can look as presentable all day as when I leave the house, not true haha, as soon as I step away the tummy isn't held in quite so much and the hair and make up gradually gets messed up, not good when photos are there to remind me of reality.

lol yeah, for some reason I think if I check myself in the mirror with a sucked-in tummy and at a flattering angle, thats how I'll look the rest of the day. Err photos disagree.

I always try to hide too. Although I did tell my mother-in-law off the other week. It was her 70th birthday and we wanted to some family shots of her with her grand kids. We don't get together too often as we all live all over the place. Anyway, she wouldn't have the photos taken. It's a shame coz when my kids are older (they are 6 and 3) they'll want to see pics of them with grandma and we won't have any! I do try to have a few photos of me taken for this reason.

At my sister's wedding last year - she is tall and size 10 (compared to my short size 18-20)and everything just perfect (the *****!), I had to have my photo taken. I was given the tip of facing the camera side on and whenever possible hand on hip with bottom sort of sticking out. Although this does make your hips look bigger, somehow the rest of you looks smaller and you look sexier rather than fatter! It's worth a try.

Photos don't lie, but cheating is fine!

xx

Ugh, I just saw a picture of me on Facebook that was taken this weekend and I just so look so fat compared to my size 8-10 flatmate. It's really upset me. I only ever realise what I look like in photos. Somehow on a day to day basis, it's like the mirror's telling a different story. This weight needs to go, and quick!

its gas isn't it but i'm the exact same with photos, i only see the weight when looking at a photo although they're not all bad. i'm actually quite pleased lately for some reason:) for some reason i don't really think about it day to day although now i am the last few weeks:)

as for facebook, i'm not that fond of photos and some nights in particular are worse than others but overall its a positive experience for me:)

Yeah, some photos are great, and I don't mind them at all. Actually I like having nice photos of me. But when people tag me it's just terrible. Don't they realise I look bad and they shouldn't have tagged me or put it up in the first place!?!?

I don't like people taking my photo without my permission and doubley so if they post it on the internet. I'm not mad on my picture being on the net full stop but I guess if you do agree to have it taken, there isn't a lot you can do. Therefore, I avoid cameras.

Yeah, some photos are great, and I don't mind them at all. Actually I like having nice photos of me. But when people tag me it's just terrible. Don't they realise I look bad and they shouldn't have tagged me or put it up in the first place!?!?

The problem is, we are very self critical. We think we look bad in a photo, when in actual fact, I hate to say it, a photo is just how others see us on a daily basis. (I realise this isn't what we want to hear and do apologise - the truth hurts, and we are supposed to be here to help and motivate). However, just because we think we look bad, of course doesn't mean that we do...like I say we are self critical!

xx

The problem is, we are very self critical. We think we look bad in a photo, when in actual fact, I hate to say it, a photo is just how others see us on a daily basis. (I realise this isn't what we want to hear and do apologise - the truth hurts, and we are supposed to be here to help and motivate). However, just because we think we look bad, of course doesn't mean that we do...like I say we are self critical!

xx

i wholeheartedly agree, its like when we hear the sound of our own voices on a recording or something:) spooky - thats not me!!

Syrinx
I just want to say hi and welcome you to this great site as I see you have not posted alot..... just wait I am sure you will soon be posting all over as the rest of do!

Sugar Fiend you have now jinxed me as I am not going to reply to everyone tonight as I see there are quite a few posts.

I just have to add my bit after reading your comments on hiding behind others in photos, I have been trying to do that for years. Thanks for the hint about standing side on. I wil have to try that if I have to be in a photo.
I also hate my voice on a recording but the worst thing of all is a video camera!!!!

Not only does it get my voice but I always look so awful. Not only is my tummy not held in, why do we do that when we look in the mirror? But I see all my negative points.

Yes I know that is how the world hears and sees me but I don't need reminding that I don't always like what I see. I am quite happy thinking I look as I saw myself in the mirror!

I know Suzy its getting really busy in here lately, it's great, I didn't mean to jinx you though haha :)

Happy you're right thats how other people see us all the time, it's just not how I want to see myself.

The side on thing never seems to work for me unfortunately, my biggest part is my hips and thighs, but have no boobs so if i can get a pic from waist up thats kind of from the front ish then it tends to not be so horrific!

Oh my god ... don't get me started on video, I hate the things and somehow I got roped into being an extra on hollyoaks for 1 scene (a cheap way of them renting instruments, but decent money for a days work for a skint student). It's not aired yet and I'm desperately hoping you can't pick me out on it when it does, it will only be a short clip so there is a chance you won't see me lol. It was 10x worse too - they scraped our hair back (looked terrible) because they had some weird idea it would get tangled in the instruments lmfao.

I know Suzy its getting really busy in here lately, it's great, I didn't mean to jinx you though haha :)

Happy you're right thats how other people see us all the time, it's just not how I want to see myself.

The side on thing never seems to work for me unfortunately, my biggest part is my hips and thighs, but have no boobs so if i can get a pic from waist up thats kind of from the front ish then it tends to not be so horrific!

Oh my god ... don't get me started on video, I hate the things and somehow I got roped into being an extra on hollyoaks for 1 scene (a cheap way of them renting instruments, but decent money for a days work for a skint student). It's not aired yet and I'm desperately hoping you can't pick me out on it when it does, it will only be a short clip so there is a chance you won't see me lol. It was 10x worse too - they scraped our hair back (looked terrible) because they had some weird idea it would get tangled in the instruments lmfao.

ah cool, youll have to let us know when its gonna be on;)

yeah sugar fiend, let us know when it's going to be aired....I'm sure you didn't look that bad...its just not how you usually see yourself, so will look weird/strange, but bot bad!

Can't bare my voice. I always think I sound like a man. I'm sure its not really that deep, but to me it is... I was at school yesterday in a year 1 class helping out and they were singing some songs, well I know I don't sing in tune, but even I thought I could mange a few nursery songs - to me it was awful!

xx

Hi Sugar,

I never watch Hollyoaks but you will have to let us know when it will be on as it would be great to see.
You haven't really jinxed me I just thought it will take me too long to reply to everyone and you don't want a post that takes ages to read!

I so agree with you about not wanting to see yourself as others really see us.

Happy

Sounds like you had lots of fun with the nursery rhymes........

I can't sing at all and everytime one of the kids sings a rhyme I am listening really hard to hear if they are signing in tune as I hope they aren't as bad as me!

According to my bmi and my doctor would probs agree, i am obese. However i see myself as overweight. I dont like how i look, but sometimes i look in the mirror and i think i look pretty. I dont mind taking pics of myself cos i know the right angles lol but i hate it when friends tag me in pics on facebook, i untag :rolleyes: id like to get to a weight where i think i look healthy and nice and when i see pics i know i do. gonna take a while though i think
xxx

Back