Jim's lazy Atkins diary

Hope olivia's cold is improving. We had rather a lot of bugs around this hols but hopefully all recovered now xx

Bless - I hope she is feeling better soon x

Morning all, she's a little better today, still not being sent to kiddy school though.

Glad to hear she's improving jim
X

Ah... Bless - hope she continues to improve x

i can't believe olivia is 4!! hope she feels better soon.
happy new year to you jim. i've been terrible at keeping in touch with folk. so sorry, but i'm still here :)

Hi Abz - the littlies are growing fast aren't they x

Hi Jim x

Morning all,

Hi abz, I know love, where does the time go.

I'm not here that often myself anymore.

We meet the social worker on Monday at my Mum's to assess her and decide where we go from here.

Be quite firm about her needs and yours as the person who takes the shortfall. I remember some 20 years ago when I was working with a group of adults with learning difficulties for adult education. The social workers were assessing transport needs etc. and one of the chaps had a long suffering brother who had promised his parents he would look after his brother. The carer brother had a history of saying "Yes" because he was uncomfortable with saying "No" and, despite being run ragged (his brother was also about in the night quite often) they were still contemplating asking him to transport one or two of the guys on a weekly basis - a time when he could have re-charged his batteries for a little while. It annoyed me how often they said "I expect ***** will do it and it was taken as sorted. Eventually, as you would expect, something snapped and reluctantly the labour of love became too much for the brother to handle. Many years on he is still quite a solitary person who never managed to carve out a social life for himself, even after his brother went into full-time residential care. It could all have been so different.

The point of this story is that social services will often let you do what you are prepared to do or can be co-erced into. I have not found anything changed much from personal experience.

Good luck for monday Jim. And have a great weekend xx

Jim hope all goes well on Monday x

Morning all,

Well I'm totally surprised, the Social Worker was a star, we had a very protective meeting and she worked with us to put a provisional plan in place. First though an assessment team will come in to how much help Mum needs.

Thanks for all your good wishes guys.

That's really good to hear Jim - you may find that once they get her on the system things will run ok. MIL has had carers in twice a day for several years now. Its not been without one or two blips - one big one where one of the carers was liberating money from clients - a birthday card for my daughter went missing and OH found it in the bin minus the 20 quid she'd put in. The police were called and an investigation started. Woman was caught by another carer who had cameras set up in her home - case was all over papers and local TV and "carer" went down for it. Thankfully most carers are ok and only want to help - they have impossible schedules but do their best on quite low pay. Just keep your eyes open and you wits about you - let them know you are about. MIL was concerned about having people in, especially as part of it was showering but she is a nice lady and not difficult - she is well liked and some of the carers have become more like friends so she looks forward to them coming in x

Back