Jim's lazy Atkins diary

Hi Jim - hope it all happens soon and you will free up some time. Its nice to have that extra back up - you will get more quality time with your mum and free up a bit of time too x

Evening jim - glad to hear it was a good meeting. Have a great weekend xxx

Evening all,

busy day today, first a Dr's appt to discuss Mum's dementia, that went well and blood tests and a referral to the Mental Health unit so that's good, The care package assessment team start on Thursday, that'll be interesting, They want me there on the first day to smooth their entry but not after that. OK, let's see how that goes.

Its all sounding very positive Jim. I hope it continues to go smoothely x

Hi Jim, sounding good so fingers crossed x

Morning all,

well I've just gone through 4 days of hell, my Mother has been so difficult and won't even talk to the carer's, she wont accept food they've cooked she won't do anything they ask her. She knows it's me who's arranged the care package but seems to blame my sister saying "she should be looking after me, she's my daughter" *sigh* anyway, apart from taking her to a Dr's appt this morning I've been asked to stay away as she has to get used to them.

Oh Jim I'm so sorry your mum is getting upset - and distressing everyone else...

I guess staying away is the only thing to do right now, so she can familiarise herself with the carers - but I know it's not easy xxx

Oh dear Jim, did she take lessons from Jack? Feels like you've been here before doesn't it! Let's just hope that she gets used to it quickly. Stressful though for you isn't it xx

Oh Jim it must be so hard for you. Fingers crossed staying away for a couple of days will help.

Not an easy start Jim - You can only hope it gets better. Many older people resist help to start with - it must be really hard to have strangers coming into your domain. The good news is that usually it gets better and acceptance happens. If you've got good carers they will win her over and probably become friends she'll look forward to seeing. I did smile at the outdated "daughter expectations" when its been you all along looking in on her x

Morning all,

Things seem to be easing up, me staying away has helped from the look of it. I must say I'm impressed with the carer's they are getting her involved in what they are doing and she likes that from what they are writing in the log.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys.

That's good news Jim. When do you think you will be able to see her

Its hard to take a step back and the instinct is to check and make sure everything is going ok - I completely understand the dilema but it sounds like it is paying off and it was the right thing to do. I think she will soon come round to the idea and it won't be long before she knows the carers by name and looks forward to them coming in as extra visitors in her life. It will be nice for you to be able to concentrate on the social aspect of your visits with your Mum - things should get on an even keel soon x

Morning all, well the good news continues, they actually got mum to go and shower yesterday and she happily went and did it, with me she would always complain and say she'd been or just plain didn't want to.

Oh I'm still going over Vicky love, just not when the carer's are there. i just pop in for a cup of tea, and she seems pleased to see me.

Ahh that's great news Jim. It's just like a new routine getting used to it. Ha ha you sneak!!!

Its a really nice shift Jim - from being in a position where you have to persuade her to do things, you are now back to visiting as a son and giving her some quality social time x

Back