Jim's lazy Atkins diary

Hi. Jim, always more change by the sound of it -- hope it goes smoothly xxxx

Morning all,

Well today is the day the new carer's start. I shall keep out of the way but pop over between care visits to read the notes and see how my mum feels

Hi Jim, how did it go today? Xx

Hope it all went well Jim x

Morning all,

well so far so good, they haven't managed to get her to have a shower yet, but I've told them they need to get there earlier on the morning visit.

Hope today has been ok Jim x

My MIL is an early bird and was at first muddling through her ablutions before they came, although their remit was to help her shower safely. Eventually they started coming earlier and MIL didn't mind sitting in her dressing gown with a cup of tea while she waited. It all takes time and she will get used to it - they will get used to her too x

Apart from the washing and showering it's going well, the carer yesterday spoke to her manager to suggest they try and shower mum at night as she is always getting ready for bed when the last visit happens, this is about 5:30. I think that's an excellent idea.

My mum is the same Gem, as I said above she's getting ready for bed late afternoon, but then she's up at 5 in the morning

Exactly the same Jim. MIL always likes to shower in the morning though and would often start before the carers arrived - fortunately one or two of the carers cottoned on and they do her early so that others can have a lie in. My mum was the latter - she went to bed later and didn't want someone coming in bright and early - also she was quite happy to sit for a while in her dressing gown. We are all different aren't we Jim - one size really doesn't fit all. They just have to remember they are dealing with individuals not a product.

Did you see that Terry Wogan thing about the body clock a few weeks ago - he set out to find out if people really did have tendancies to be morning people or night owls and found - it was really interesting x

Morning all,

No i didn't Gem, what channel was it on, I'll have to see if I can find it on catch up

Did you see that Terry Wogan thing about the body clock a few weeks ago - he set out to find out if people really did have tendancies to be morning people or night owls and found - it was really interesting x

Gem, interested in what the conclusion was!

P x

Morning all,

No i didn't Gem, what channel was it on, I'll have to see if I can find it on catch up

It was a few weeks back Jim but worth catching up if you can find it - Secrets of the Body Clock Terry Wogan BBC1 x

Gem, interested in what the conclusion was!

P x

I'll post a link Pauline x

Yes, me too. I know my natural sleep pattern is 11.30 till 8.30 but not possible to follow this when working full time.

You'll probably find it interesting like I did DK x

TVCatchup - Secrets of the Body Clock with Terry Wogan

That's a good link Gem thanks, it wasn't available on BBC iplayer.

Well, there is a storm brewing here and I'm the one going to be causing it. I sat down yesterday at my Mum's and went through the carer's log, I wasn't happy with what I found. On Friday and Saturday she only had one visit in the day, plus I noticed that on the 12th and 15th there was no entry in the meds logs. I went and checked her blister pack and lo and behold those days were still there! Finally after 10 days on the contract they still haven't managed to get my mum washed or showered and changed her clothes. Frankly I was managing better than that.

There's no excuse for that Jim - at the very least, if there was a HUGE problem getting there, someone should have been notified so that her meds could be done and someone could check on her.

There was a time when my mum went without vital cream for her skin condition because there was a dispute between medical and social as to who should be creaming her. As she had to be creamed after her shower it was obvious that the lady who helped with the shower would do it. The carers had no objections but were told not to. We didn't know until the Sunday when the directive had been in operation since Monday and social didn't inform medical that they had stopped creaming - her skin was in a mess - boy did I kick ass! After that it was written on her folder that I MUST be informed of any changes. The community nurse also kicked a bit of a** so we hoofed up a bit of a storm.

Go sort it Jim - they shouldn't undertake what they cannot fulfil and should inform immediately there is a problem - you can't leave an elderly person without care or medication - its wrong on every level x

Morning all,

looks like my call yesterday has born fruit, my mum was showered and changed this morning, why do you have to be a trouble maker to get things done?

Awful isn't it, that you have to shout to get things done. But at least your mum must be feeling loads better now she has been washed.

YAY! Well done Jim. I understand how you feel - I felt like I needed to be constantly on top of it as Mum wouldn't have known what she'd had and what she didn't - you could find a cold cup of tea and a sandwich in the fridge and she'd swear she'd had her lunch. I had to rely on the carers to let me know if there was food to throw away when they came in the evening. I bought a water jug and asked them to refill it every time they came and report if none had gone. I was worried she wasn't eating or drinking properly. The thing is that no-one thought to monitor it - I had to request it. You do feel like you are nagging all the time - in my case I was piggy in the middle between social and NHS as well.

MIL has all her faculties but in her case she doesn't like to bother people - we've still had to make sure they are doing all they need to do. MIL's carers seem to be going through a crisis with staff at the moment and are having trouble fulfilling all their commitments - drafting people in from all over the place - not good. On the plus side it has been decided that she should have her bathroom completely re-vamped - toilet and bathroom knocked into one and a walk-in shower replacing the bath. A grant has been approved for the work and work is about to begin. I am slightly worried about the disruption as it will take quite a while to do but the contractors are used to working around elderly people and should consider her needs.

I hope things run a little smoother from now on :fingerscrossed: x

Back