Johnson up day down day diet!

If you fancy a read, this was in some paper last Summer. I copied it down at the time as I found in interesting :)

Forget about cutting the carbs, bin the brown rice, dump the detox and stop chomping on raw carrots. If you want to lose weight, avoid heart disease, deafness and dementia, be happier and smarter and live longer, you might try a new approach - fasting. These benefits may not be what the Archbishop of York, John Sentamu, had in mind when he went seven days without food in a tent inside York Minster recently to highlight the plight of those caught in the conflict between Lebanon and Israel. But his fast may have done wonders for his health; fasting is now being promoted in various guises as a way to a better, longer and lighter life.

That fasting works for weight loss isn't in doubt. In his 44 days in a suspended glass box, the magician David Blaine lost 24,5kg, about 25 per cent of his original body-weight. Fasting to such an extreme is unlikely to appeal to many, but research is showing that partial fasting - intermittent fasting or long-term calorie restriction diets - can have significant effects on weight and on many aspects of health, from asthma to heart disease.
It's claimed that the benefits go far beyond those achieved by simple weight loss, and that hunger and food deprivation somehow trigger a mechanism that puts the body into a survival mode. In these restrictive diets, daily consumption is cut by between 20 and 50 percent of normal, or no food is eaten on certain days.

Partial fasting, with little eaten every other day, which has also been investigated, is designed to trigger the same kind of survival reactions as full fasting. Evidence has built up since the 1930s that rodents, fish, fruit flies, worms, yeast and monkeys all benefit from fasting. "It is well established that, by reducing the number of calories required for weight maintenance to 60 to 70 percent of normal, lifespan is increased up to 40 percent, with near-perfect health across a broad range of species," says Dr James Johnson of Louisiana State University. The big question is whether the same benefits accrue to people. Three clinical trials involving the United States National Institute on Aging are under way, each investigating the idea that a reduced-calorie, nutritionally sound diet increases lifespan and prevents age-related chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The early signs are that there are beneficial effects, and several other studies have found evidence that restriction or partial fasting can have significant health benefits.

Work at Johns Hopkins University has shown that intermittent fasting and calorie restriction can slow the ageing of the brain and reduce the risk of diseases such Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Scientists at the universities of Wisconsin and Tokyo have found in animal studies that restriction can prevent age-related hearing loss by stopping or slowing the degeneration of hair cells in the cochlea. When researchers at the University of Washington investigated men and women who had been on a diet for six years where their daily calorie consumption was half of normal levels, they found considerable benefits. When they compared their hearts with people not on the diet, they found the hearts of dieters were more elastic, there was less furring up of the arteries, and the level of compounds involved in inflammation changed. "This is the first study to demonstrate that long-term calorie restriction with optimal nutrition has cardiac-specific effects that ameliorate age-associated declines," said Dr Luigi Fontana. Similar effects have been found for other conditions, although the very long-term effects in humans, including any impact on longevity, are still largely unknown. If there is an effect beyond that caused by weight loss itself, the puzzle remains as to what the mechanism could be.

One suggestion is that fasting - full, partial or intermittent - and restriction affect metabolic rate, reducing free radicals and oxidative stress. Altered insulin sensitivity, greater stress resistance and changes in brain signalling are among other ideas. A theory that hunger and a lack of food trigger a primitive survival response that provides better protection for the body's organs in times of famine is now in vogue. "Recent studies seem to favour a stress response that evolved early in most species to increase the chance of surviving adversity, such as calorie restriction," says Dr Eric Ravussin of the Pennington Biomedical Research Centre in Baton Rouge. Some beneficial effects seen in the fasting diets may also stem from the fact that they tend to be more nutritionally balanced that most diets.

The downside, of course, is that such restrictive diets may not be attractive to most people. Some research shows that most people prefer the novelty of trying different diets, even if they fail, and suggest that long-term diets that severely restrict intake are likely to fail in all but the most committed.

(Snip)

Diet another day For three years, Dr James Johnson and his colleagues have been
losing weight by eating whatever they like - every other day. In the first three months, he shed about 16kg. His team from Stanford and New Orleans universities also report signs of improved health and possibly increased lifespan. The team say the diet, which involves eating as normal one day, then restricting calorie intake the next by 20 to 50 percent, can affect conditions as diverse as asthma and heart disease. "We have seen improvements in a variety of disease conditions, starting within two weeks, including insulin resistance, asthma, seasonal allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, infectious disease, periodontal disease and cardiac arrhythmias," says Dr Johnson. "For three years, we have experimented with an alternate-day pattern of eating. This "appears to have health-promoting effects in the absence of weight loss". Benefits are said to start kicking in after two weeks, but just how it works is not clear. The researchers cite animal studies showing similar results, and it's suggested that one possibility is that the hunger and food deprivation turn on body mechanisms that lead to changes in the way the body processes fat.

Blimey Karion, that makes fascinating reading and if I wasn't already Juddding I would start immediately!

Blimey Karion, that makes fascinating reading and if I wasn't already Juddding I would start immediately!

:D. Knew you'd like it:p It was long, but quite readable :)

Thanks for all your positive replies.
Confession time;

I lied.

I really was 4 lb down at the end of last week. I ate on fri eve, a dd, prawn salad. I had an UD Sat and ate Atkins all day Sat. Sun was a dd and i had 2 cd bars and a tetra, then about 4 malteasers and 4 skittles. By Mon morn i was 1 lb heavier at 3 lb down, so ok.

Then yesterday i went out for the day, ate kids party food all day, and some cake, malteasers, sandwiches etc. Then i get on the scales this morn at i weigh 208.4lb!!! What has happened???

So i have really only lost 0.6lb. Sorry i lied, i just didnt want to let everyone down. F@@K knows how i can gain 2.4lb in a day. I didnt massively pig out, just ate the wrong things.

JUDDD and Atkins was working for me last week.:cry::cry:

I am really crap.:cry::cry::cry:

You silly moo!

You have let no-one down. You've probably already had the answer re: the weight gain and the carbs. I also think it would be a good idea to quick doing Atkins on your UpDays as you know how much you hate to feel deprived and how it makes you want to binge on carbs. By only eating Atkins on your UpDays you are still depriving yourself from having anything you want.

Give it a fair go this week, follow the plan as closely as you can. I'm sure you will find it easier if you do.

You look great as you are now. Losing a lot of weight quickly for a holiday is what so many of us aim to do. It's nice but usually we end up putting it back on on the holiday anyway don't we?

I think this plan is a way for you to diet around your social life and lose weight steadily. Hopefully along the way you can also lose those feelings of deprivation that make you so unhappy. Whatever you fancy eating is only at most 24 hours away on this diet. Usually when the UpDay comes your not craving it anymore anyway.

Speak to you soon.:)

Dizzy x

Hope you had a good first DownDay Diva and anyone else who started today.:)

Dizzy x

TAA DAAAAA!!! :D

Keep it up Bex and you'll see a gentle 'up and down' over the course of the week but overall, it'll be DOWN :)

Stayed the same today. I may not have drunk enough water yesterday, though.

Was it a DD yesterday Kate?

My progress over the past two days have been:

Monday (DD) - 15st 2lb
Tues (UD) - 15st
Weds (DD) - 15st 1lb

I'm hoping these gentle undulations will continue, ending up at the 2 or 3lb down I'd like to see by the end of the week :)

Another lb off for me so I am chuffed, I know a bit will creep back tomorrow and then another chunk drop off the next day, as RD says, it will even out to a steady loss. Well done Bex on your 3lbs, I bet you feel a lot cheerier today. My daughter had her week one weigh in today and she is 5lbs lighter, so she is a very happy little bunny!

UMM,RD, I hate to say this, but um, we are at it again! You don't think we were seperated at birth do you? LOL!

Spookyville Barb! LOL

Definitely something in it though ... you know when you just 'click' with someone?

PS
WOW at your daughter's weigh-in result! :party0011:

Yes, I feel the click too - it's another element that is making this diet such fun!
Yes, Rachel is chuffed to bits. She is such a little darling and I know her confidence would soar if she lost a bit of weight - she seems totally taken with Juddding so I think this could be the answer she was looking for.

Love

It was great 'dieting' with you when we were on different fiets but it's much more fun now we're singing off the same hymn sheet!

Scales say 3lb(in total) down this morning after yesterdays DD....

:scale:Woohoo for the 3lbs!:party0038:

:party0011::party0011:Does that mean you are still with us?:party0011::party0011:

Thank goodness for that. Welldone for being good yesterday as I know how easy it would have been to go astray after your disappointment. Do you think you can give up the daily weighing? It may be a good idea.

Dizzy xxx

Back