Kay's journey to health and happiness

Hi Kay

Lovely to see you're still around. I was AWOL for ages. Meltdown pre Christmas but been uber good since new year and not too far from my previous lowest. But about to head to US for 2/12 so may not be staying that close :D

Won't join challenge cause of trip but will watch & cheer from sidelines xx

Shelleyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !

I missed you :( .

So glad your back ! :p Oh I hope you have a splendid time in America . Don't worry bout going off plan, its happened to a lot of us recently. I'm sure once your back from your hols, you'll be back on it. It is hard to restart after a break, but once your in the swing of things, it slowly gets easier. I had many restarts in the last year, but I feel this time I'm more focused.

Anyway I hope you have a lovely Easter . I will pop over to your diary for a catch up, got that planned for Sunday :D, got loads of diaries to get through.

Take care hun :) , it's so good to see you back !

Kay xx

I'll come and join you on the challenge!!

I've got an actifry (and a spiralizer!!) and would say that it shouldn't A- smell or taste the food or B- smoke!! Apart from the rotary arm the hot bits are metal? I've had a couple of them over the years (read 6 or more) as they are not as hardy as they look and I paid for extended warranty. All I have ever done is rinse it before we use it for the first time and the bung the potatoes in. Take it back whilst it's under warranty and swap it.

The spiralizer is amazeballs for fancy salads and you can make courgetti (courgette spaghetti) for use on an SP day.

Right I'm popping over to the challenge...xx

Yay ! You've joined the challenge :D , looking forward to cheering each other on.

Thanks for the tip on the Actifry. I have been thinking about returning it, but then I keep changing my mind because I really wanted an Actifry. I have a feeling its doing that because its new. I will use it a few more times, if it has the same problem then I will exchange it. Still haven't used the spiralizer yet, but I have a feeling I will get on with that a lot :D , love making salads over the summer. I'm trying to make an effort to eat more raw foods in my diet. Next gadget on my list is a Vitamix blender, gosh their expensive but so so good. Got to save up for that.

Hope you have a lovely Easter weekend ! :)

Kay xx

Well I've started SW today. Easter weekend wasn't great, I've been suffering from Eczema, so I'm on an elimination diet. Still trying to figure out what trigger foods makes my rash worse :oops: . Whilst I have all this going on, its hard to figure out if I'm doing SW 100% correctly, but I will give it my best shot. The dietary changes that I am making is, I am cutting out dairy and gluten completely from my diet. I wish I could turn vegetarian but I do like some chicken or fish on occasion. I don't eat red meat and won't miss it much. I can eat gluten free and lactofree products. I am also cutting out sugars, I use Stevia . I will be eating fats, but essential fats like brazil nuts, avocado which are good for your skin. I'll just have to syn them :rolleyes: . I'm sticking to herbal teas and water, no colas or diet drinks. No tea or coffee. I have never been a tea drinker, but gutted about my coffee :( . Oh well I hope all this sacrifice clears up my skin.

I'm drinking Dr Staurts Liver Detox Tea, right now, which is vile :grumble: but the health benefits are ment to be great. I've got my juicer out and will start juicing this week . I had an apple. celery and carrot juice today, it was lovely. Again I know I'm going to have to syn these, because their blended, but considering I'm not eating much else, I'm sure I'll be within my syns.

Oh I've used my new Actifry again to make SW chips, love my Actifry :D . Still haven't used my spiralizer yet, but think I will whip up something this week and take a pic ;) . My first weigh in for April will be next Wednesday (I'm doing SW from home), I hope I've lost something by then.

My juicer is a very basic one. I want to get one of those advanced fancy high tech slow press ones, there around £300. Need to save up for one of those. I reckon when I have one of them, I will be juicing daily :D. The only thing that puts me off this one is all the components that need to be washed just to make a glass of juice :rolleyes: .

Anyway hope you all had a lovely Easter. Will pop back on my diary soon for some more ramblings ! :)

Kay xx

Hi Kay
Sorry to hear about the eczema! That must be uncomfortable, hope the elimination helps and you can figure out what you need to avoid!
If you're off gluten & dairy could you use the avocado/blended fruits as hexes? I know it's a bit old school but it worked for people at the time, might just make things a little easier.
It is quiet on Mins but I'm hoping to get back up and running (and updating) soon.
Fingers crossed more people will float back :) it's a pain because the app won't work!
See you soon x

Hi Kay
Sorry to hear about the eczema! That must be uncomfortable, hope the elimination helps and you can figure out what you need to avoid!
If you're off gluten & dairy could you use the avocado/blended fruits as hexes? I know it's a bit old school but it worked for people at the time, might just make things a little easier.
It is quiet on Mins but I'm hoping to get back up and running (and updating) soon.
Fingers crossed more people will float back :) it's a pain because the app won't work!
See you soon x

Thanks Rosie, its been tough with the eczema :oops: , but I'm trying everything with this elimination diet and hope to find the culprit. I can't afford a high powered blender at the mo but have bought a new one, which is middle of the range and its working well. I've been making healthy smoothies a lot and generally feel better :) . Since I've cut out sugars, I think my syns will probably get used up in blending fruits and veggies. Also I'm increasing essential fats in my diet like nuts and seeds and avocados, so yep your right, I can take them as a hex . I'm over the moon to findout Tesco do frozen sliced avocados which are perfect for the blender and works out more economical. Don't know why other supermarkets are not doing that, they will fly off the shelves :D .

I've been looking up vegan recipes and am quiet surprised to find there is so much variety out there. I really did think once I take our meat, sugars, and lots of other things, there would be noting left to eat lol, but there is and you just have to get more creative. The only thing is, health food is a lot more expensive than buying junk food . It's actually cheaper to eat more crap. Yeh funny how these corporate giants worked that one out :rolleyes: .

Hope your having a lovely week hun. Looking back at this post, it's not just a reply, I've more or less updated my diary too :D, hehe, gosh I can talk .

I'm weighing in on Wednesday, hope I've lost something by then. I better have, I've eaten more veg than your bunny Arthur :p .

Kay xx

Your smoothies sound tasty! It's a shame they are as synful as they are but it does make some sense when you see how much goes in to them- I'm not sure I could eat quite so much fruit in one sitting! I've heard good things about the frozen avocado- it seems the fresh ones can be quite hit and miss, and perfect for your smoothies too.
Everything crossed for Wednesday! I'm sure you will have lost, it sounds like a really good, clean way of eating. I like the idea of using nuts as a hexb but I can never resist porridge and bread :-/ would like to try and cut bread out really.
Are you on Pinterest? I always find good recipes on there, might help with your vegan regime!
Definitely agree that it's annoyingly cheaper to eat rubbish. Lidl is great for fresh fruit and veg (and the frozen stuff is good too) but when you see packets of biscuits and crisps so cheap it makes it hard to say no!
Hope you have a good week Kay x

Your smoothies sound tasty! It's a shame they are as synful as they are but it does make some sense when you see how much goes in to them- I'm not sure I could eat quite so much fruit in one sitting! I've heard good things about the frozen avocado- it seems the fresh ones can be quite hit and miss, and perfect for your smoothies too.
Everything crossed for Wednesday! I'm sure you will have lost, it sounds like a really good, clean way of eating. I like the idea of using nuts as a hexb but I can never resist porridge and bread :-/ would like to try and cut bread out really.
Are you on Pinterest? I always find good recipes on there, might help with your vegan regime!
Definitely agree that it's annoyingly cheaper to eat rubbish. Lidl is great for fresh fruit and veg (and the frozen stuff is good too) but when you see packets of biscuits and crisps so cheap it makes it hard to say no!
Hope you have a good week Kay x

Hey Rosie :) . Luckily my smoothies are not too synful, I make more veggie ones then fruit ones. When I make fruit ones, I chose fruits that have a lower sugar content. My luck I went to Tesco and they had no frozen avocados :rolleyes: so had to buy fresh. I'm not on Pintrest but will pop over and have a look, I'm on Insta, but haven't updated it for ages. Lidl is great for bargains and so is Aldi, I just wish my Aldi store was nearer to me. I hope your week is going well hun.

Kay xx

So it's been a busy week with my elimination diet for Eczema. My rash is still very bad :oops: , but I've made some major changes in my diet. I'm going to try and go Vegan for a whole month and see how I get on. I've cut out all sugars, dairy and gluten and all animal products of any other kind. I'm eating a plant based diet. It hasn't been easy but I'm slowly getting the hang of it and what keeps me going is, I know I'm being kind to my body :). (So many years of eating junk food, was bound to catch up with me :rolleyes:, hence the rash breakout, my body telling me to Stoooooop ! , so I have :oops: )

I've been on youtube a lot getting inspired by other Vegans :) , it's made me realise there really is a lot you can eat, I just need to get creative . Talking of which, I thought I'd post some piccys :p . I used my new spiralizer finally :D and made some yummy zoodles with courgettes . I topped it with Quorn mince and some strifry veggies mixed in. It was lovely and very filling.

IMG_2364.JPG

I've also been making a lot of healthy smoothies, some fruit ones, but mainly veggie ones, packed with nutrients good for the body, lots of greens. I normally drink 1-2 glasses a day.

IMG_2362.JPG

So I had my weigh in this morning, I'm doing SW from home. I started last week, so today was my first weigh in day and I've lost 4lbs :bunnydance::D . I'm happy with that. I have 3 stone to lose to get to target. My start weight was 13stone, I'm 12st 10lbs today :).

To keep me motivated, I have 2 jars with coloured crystals in them. 3 stones is equal to 42 lbs, so I have 42 coloured crystals in one and the other is empty. As I lose the pounds each week, I will fill the empty jar until its full and I reach goal. Today I've put 4 crystals in the jar to show my loss this week. Such a kid I am, the things that make this bunny happy :p .

IMG_2365.JPG

Well I hope your all having a great week. I'm off to update some of my other threads. ;)

Kay xx

Well done on your first weigh in of 4lbs off.:)

I would love to try something different but got to cook for OH so it's easier if we have the same.:)

Fab result for your first weigh-in Kay! Well done :)
All those healthy smoothies will be working wonders for your body and I really hope your rash settles soon.
Just a thought- and probably a bit controversial- but my dad suffers with a patch of psoriasis on his leg now and again and finds that a couple of minutes on a sun bed (or even better, some natural sun!) really clears it up and takes away the itch. When it's bad he has 3 minutes a couple of times a week. Not sure if it would help in your situation but thought I'd mention it!

Well done on your first weigh in of 4lbs off.:)

I would love to try something different but got to cook for OH so it's easier if we have the same.:)

Ahh thank you hun :) . I normally have one good week in a month and then the rest of the month my body does not want to shift much :rolleyes: , so it averages out. It must be hard when you have to cook for others, due to the food smells. I wish we could swap, would love to have to think about having to gain weight rather than losing it o_O . How have you been ? hope your having a good week. I tried to look for your diary, but couldn't find one. I know before you were doing the Paleo diet, are you still following that ?

Kay xx

Fab result for your first weigh-in Kay! Well done :)
All those healthy smoothies will be working wonders for your body and I really hope your rash settles soon.
Just a thought- and probably a bit controversial- but my dad suffers with a patch of psoriasis on his leg now and again and finds that a couple of minutes on a sun bed (or even better, some natural sun!) really clears it up and takes away the itch. When it's bad he has 3 minutes a couple of times a week. Not sure if it would help in your situation but thought I'd mention it!

Thank you Rosie :D . Yep the smoothies are ensuring that the pf comes regular, think that may have helped, with all the fibre and lots of loo visits lol . With my rash the creams are not working much, I've been recommended by a friend to go for Homeopathy, so I've got an appointment booked for Monday. It's costing me a bit, but as long as it goes, that's all I want. Yes I've also heard that sunshine is good for the skin. I try and go in the garden when the suns out but after a few minutes it starts to burn then I have to come indoors :oops: .

I posted on your diary, I hope your having a fab weekend :).

Kay xx

Wow I've not updated my diary for a while, been busy with my other threads :). Since going Vegan, I've been experimenting in the kitchen and trying different recipes :eat: . I just need to upload my pics to the computer, then I will post them up on here in a mo. It's strange after last weeks loss, I feel bloaty this week. Think I will probably have a maintain this week. Anyway off I go to upload my pics, back soon ... :D

Kay xx

Hello Kay!!!!

Hope you're well my dear! Just been having a read- good to see you on here!
Food looks delicious. well done on the loss. Love the coloured stones idea too :)

Here to follow

Ruth
x

Hello Kay!!!!

Hope you're well my dear! Just been having a read- good to see you on here!
Food looks delicious. well done on the loss. Love the coloured stones idea too :)

Here to follow

Ruth
x

Hello lovely, good to see you back :D . I didn't realise you posted on my diary last night, I went off and posted on yours :p . Glad we both remember each other from before . Happy you've joined the challenge too. I hope your SW group goes well on Monday. Hope your having a lovely weekend. Look forward to keeping in touch :) .

Kay xx

I'm back to update :D,

I was supposed to post my pics yesterday, but got busy doing other stuff lol. So here are some snaps of what I ate this week plus some other stuff. The food is all Vegan (I hope, I'm still learning ;)) .

I normally start my day with x2 cups of hot water with a slice of lemon, in my fav mug to detox :p. (I added a tea bag of Twinnings Green tea with pineapple, my fav flavour, it was lovely and very refreshing to have in the morning ).

IMG_2375.JPG

I then go for my morning walk, I love taking pics of flowers in the summer, they are so pretty and put a smile on my face, I love nature :) .

IMG_2382.JPG

Whilst on my walks this week, I bumped into my neighbours cats :D I love feeding them with treats I buy for them, their gorgeous and warm my heart ;).

IMG_2360.JPG IMG_2361.JPG

Now to the food :eating: :D ...

IMG_2368.JPG I made Pak Choi with garlic mushrooms and homemade Vegan Veggie Burgers, the burgers came out lovely. I cooked Quorn mince with lots of spices, garlic and onion and then added pulsed red kidney beans to it, and shaped them into 6 burgers (I was able to freeze the rest ), it came out lovely. I saw a recipe on youtube where they coated the burgers with oat flour (oats which have been blended to make a flour) this gave the burgers a crunchy coating instead of breadcrumbs. The oats were gluten free since I'm following a gf diet. I made the burgers in my actifry using frylight. It's a very healthy meal and very filling :) . Will defo make those burgers again sometime in the future, I may have them with gf burger buns instead this time. I used the oats as a hex. Overall this was a syn free meal. Yay ! :D

IMG_2377.JPG

Yummy lunches in the week. I didn't have burger buns in the house so used my gf bread (hex) to use the Vegan burgers I had made into a sandwich :D . Lettuce, avocado, tomato, ketchup, low fat spread, salt and pepper, yummy yummy yummy ! :)

IMG_2367.JPG Lettuce boats :D . Romaine lettuce leaves filled with Quorn mince and stir fried vegetables. Syn free meal which was very filling .

IMG_2380.JPG One of my most favourite meals of the week . Indian Dal Curry with rice, and so easy to make in the slow cooker. I used 1.5 cups of red lentils washed and drained, topped with 2.5-3 cups of water in the slow cooker, add 1-2 veg stock cubes, 1 tbsp. Pataks curry paste (not sauce) 2syns per tbsp., the recipe serves 4 so, 0.5 syns per serving :) . Turn on high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours. Once its cooked garnish with fresh coriander or mint. I made a tomato and onion coriander salad to go with it and served it with plain boiled rice. 0.5 syns for the meal. Delicious ! :D

IMG_2384.JPG I'm eating a lot of beans and pulses, this I made today, yellow lentils same as above, using the same recipe, just different coloured lentils ;) . It come out lovely. I had it by itself like a soup, but you can serve it with rice or naan bread. I need to shop for gf naan breads. Or I may buy gf flour and make them myself, will workout a lot cheaper.

Now looking back at the pics, looks like I eat like a right piggy :p ,but I promise the bunny does exercise, hehe :D .

Kay xx

Last edited:
My goodness Kay how have I never looked at your food pics before. I have a spiralizer and think I will be emulating your courgetti spaghetti!! Nom nom

I also like your jar idea. I'm thinking of getting one and popping £1 in for each lb. by the end thAt would be £117!! Enough for some jeans and a couple of new lovely tops :) xx

Ahh thank you hun :) . I normally have one good week in a month and then the rest of the month my body does not want to shift much :rolleyes: , so it averages out. It must be hard when you have to cook for others, due to the food smells. I wish we could swap, would love to have to think about having to gain weight rather than losing it o_O . How have you been ? hope your having a good week. I tried to look for your diary, but couldn't find one. I know before you were doing the Paleo diet, are you still following that ?

Kay xx

No I'm not Paleo'ing for the moment.

Due to ibs and sinuses problems I am gluten free and following Low Fodmap. I seem to of got it under control now. Both have almost disappeared.
I had an op last Dec and due another one in the future. Nothing serious just an old age things.
I need to put on about 9 lbs to take me up to 8 st 7 lbs again.
Trying to put the weight on is a struggle to me like it was when I was trying to loss it.
Your meals look lovely and healthy.:)

My goodness Kay how have I never looked at your food pics before. I have a spiralizer and think I will be emulating your courgetti spaghetti!! Nom nom

I also like your jar idea. I'm thinking of getting one and popping £1 in for each lb. by the end thAt would be £117!! Enough for some jeans and a couple of new lovely tops :) xx

Love my spiralizer Sam :D , will defo be making more recipes with it. The zoodles are a great alternative to pasta, you will love them :) . Yep replacing crystals for money, much better idea, why didn't I think of that ? :p Probably because I'd end up spending it all before it fills up :oops: lol .

Kay xx

Back