Lisa's pregnancy diary!

Talk about bumping an old thread....

Well my wonderfully smooth pregnancy went out of the window. I'm having the most hellish time, I just desperately want my little lady Poppy here now. I really need to vent some steam because I'm going mad here at home and I know you lovely ladies will listen! Where to start...

A few weeks ago, I started suffering badly from sickness. I couldn't keep down food or water and wasn't sleeping because as soon as I lay down, the sickness started. My h2b noticed that there was some small streaks of blood in my vomit, but the Dr reassured us it was just the lining of my stomach 'rebelling'. My SPD began to get bad around this time too, as I was told to stay off the codeine while my stomach settled. The vomiting didn't settle down, and I was in and out of the hospital getting checked over every few days. All the would do was give me Gaviscon to try and ease some of pain from the acid.

After a few days of relative peace, the vomiting suddenly got VERY bad with a lot of blood in it. Sam rushed me to A&E and I was seen immediately because my BP had dropped very low and my HR was at 140 BPM. I sat in resus for hours having ECGs, scans- you name it, they did it! They eventually decided I had a rather bad Mallory Weiss tear in my stomach wall and told it would only heal once Poppy arrives and the sickness stopped. My BP and HR settled down, and they discharged me with strict orders to rest (which is so easy with 2 kids, a half decorated house and builders working in your garden!)

My MW rang me later and asked me to pop into our local MAC so they could monitor me for an hour from an Obstetric point of view. When I arrived, I did a urine sample and I was so dehydrated that it was bright red. I actually thought I'd started bleeding down below, and the MW and myself had a minor panic until she dipped it and found it was just ++++ ketones and no blood! I was admitted straight away to be put onto a drip, but I was so dehydrated that my veins kept collapsing. I ended up needing an infant sized cannula because it was the only one they could place. I had a drip for 24 hours, and miraculously the Ranitadine they sent me home with (a simple prescription drug for treating acid reflux problems) stopped me being sick for over a week.

Just realised how much I've written, so I'll keep the rest of the story short but sweet....

My SPD has flared up so badly that I am housebound. Walking anywhere at all, even with the crutches, starts me with the most intensely painful BH contractions that take my breath away. I'm totally reliant on friends and family doing EVERYTHING for me at the minute, even helping me in and out of the shower.

The acid reflux has started up again over the last few days, luckily no blood yet, but my tongue and lips are so sore I cannot eat a thing. Literally everything burns my tongue, which feels raw and is covered in ulcers. Its really getting me down. Not being able to eat is preventing me from regularly taking Codeine, so the SPD is becoming earth shattering.

Poppy was measuring bang on the 90th centile at the last growth scan, estimated delivery weight of 10lbs+. I saw a new consultant who was a star and has agreed to induce me on my EDD rather than letting me go overdue and risk a big baby harming my pelvis any more. So that's a maximum of 28 days to go till I meet my little madam. I know that doesn't seem much, but I'm stuck in the house, in pain, exhausted and weak. Whilst Sam is a total star, he is so busy with work, the girls, the urgent DIY and the housework I barely see him at all. A lot of my so called 'friends' have suddenly upped and disappeared, its like I'm not worth bothering with now I'm boring. Its kind of nice- like seperating the wheat from the chaff and knowing who is worth my time, but its lonely too.

Sorry for such a very long post, but boy it feels nice to get some of this off my chest. Thank you for anyone who has managed to stay awake till the end, and apologies for any grammar/spelling mishaps, I'm too tired to care!

Awww Lisa, my heart goes out to you, you've had it seriously rough! I'm so sorry that you're suffering so badly :( Can't believe some of your friends have just ignored you because of it. Times like this really do make you realise who's worth it.

The small bonus here is that at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you can plan for 4 weeks time. I just hope your aches and pains ease, you can get to eat a little of something and just try and rest.

Oh my what a time you are having :sigh: I know how bad it is just trying to cope with the pain of the SPD plus kids nevermind all the other terrible problems you have been experiencing. I am sooo glad you have a sympathetic consultant they may even induce you a little early if your vomiting becomes any more troublesome, esp as babes is likely to be a good weight. Like Sarah says there is light at the end of the tunnel now, I really hope you can get through the next few weeks as uneventfully as possible.
We are always here if you need to offload :)
Take care, Jo

Thanks for reading and replying ladies. It felt so so good to have a massive rant and get things off my chest. I didn't actually realise how much I'd written!

I have certainly had an opportunity to find out who my real friends are Sarah, those of them who are still around have been absolutely amazing. I just wonder how many of my 'friends' will come crawling out of the woodwork again when Poppy arrives and they want a little cuddle?

I am incredibly lucky that I got to see a different (and brilliant) consultant Jo, the usual blithering idiot was stuck in theatre. I've also re-read my notes from my last visit and I'm booked in on Dec 1st for a membrane sweep, so hopefully things will get moving even sooner- although they never worked when I was expecting my DDs

On a happier note, I'm determined to keep a PMA no matter how frustrated and wound up I get being stuck in these four walls. I've managed to force and keep some food down today so I am dosed up to high heaven on codeine. I'm as high as a blooming kite but I can move without wincing! Lmao! H2b ordered me a new iPhone4 as my mobile seems to dislike me at the minute, so I'm all giddy about that arriving too. Simple things eh....?

26 and a teeny bit days left to go...... :D:D:D

oh Lisa, what an awful few months to end the pregnancy, but as you say a PMA is so important and before you know it she will be here and I hope you recover fast. My thoughts are with you.

Thanks Gemma!

37 weeks today!! I keep talking to my bump 'Come on Miss Poppy, you're allowed to put in an appearance now...' It hasn't worked yet, but at least I know there is a maximum of 21 days till she'll be here. :D :D

Well.... 38 weeks and a maximum of 14 days to go. Booked in for a sweep on Wednesday, don't hold much hope for it working. I think this little lady will be getting forced out the rate things are going. So glad the induction is booked, it's so nice having a date to work to.

Official weigh in with the midwife has me at 5.5 lbs up on pre-pregnancy, and still in my non maternity jeans!! Not bad considering bump is on the 90th centile and I've looked ready to pop for months. God knows how it's happened, but I think my clothes might even be too baggy after she arrives...

Last edited:
Well done on the low weight gain. Does that match up with your own weigh-ins if you've done any? Then again if you're still in non maternity jeans then I think it proves you've barely put any weight on! Definitely think you'll be shopping for a new wardrobe once she's arrived! Good excuse to hit the sales ;)

My MW put me at +2kg since booking in which made me laugh. Completely different scales and situations, I'll stick with my own readings!

Fingers crossed for the sweep but at least there's only 2 weeks to go otherwise (am very jealous!) ;)

That's 5.5lb up on what I weighed my first MW appointment when I found out I was expecting- so probably about 5 weeks pregnant. My scales put me at more like 9lbs up, but they are less than reliable at the best of times. Been a bit cheeky saying I was in my pre-pregnancy jeans too, they fit but I have to unbutton them to sit down, lol. All the maternity pants and jeans I tried on were FAR too big around the belly for me though. I really can't understand it, I look and feel huge!

Your weight gain is impressively low too, that 14lbs (maybe less if you go with what the MW says...;)) will most probably disappear pretty quickly once your LO, waters and placenta aren't on the scale with you. At least your little man should arrive in time for you to utilise the January sales as well-you'll have to let me know if you spot any bargains ;)

Ahh go with the midwife's readings then ;)

I only switched to maternity jeans as my usual ones needed a bit of sewing (worn on the inner thighs), but to be honest I was finding the button a little uncomfy, and the maternity jeans (Next sale - £12!) have been so comfortable. They felt a bit big at first and they do tend to fall down a little so I find I'm constantly pulling them up, but I've certainly got my use from them and will continue to wear them in the new year for a while too I think!

Yes, if all goes well my Mum (who'll be up visiting by then) and I are planning to hit Liverpool one morning, see what we can find :D

Thanks Hun. Been having some really strong braxton hicks today, nothing regular but getting closer to the real thing. Sorry gor TMI, but also had some thrush which the midwife says would indicate a change in my hormones levels (cause I never usually get it) and some diarrhea which is said to indicate labour could be starting soon. The bodys natural enema apparently! Keeping everything crossed she stays put though, as we're severely snowed in AND hubby to be crashed our car on Friday night. Getting to the hospital and dropping the girls at Grannys would be a nightmare!

Aw no! What a pickle! LOL but what a story to tell her when she's older! Hope your not in too much pain! How is the house coming along now?

Isn't it beautiful that you have 3girls! Do you think its possible that some woman can only 'create' boys or girls? My SIL has only had girls also!

If and When it happens for us- I have to be strong, cos OH is so set on not knowing. I'm so nosey and impatient it'l kill me, but I know it'l be worth it in the end! Only problem is I think Yellow's still quite girly! LOL

Sending you positive vibes!!

X

I do feel some people are designed to make either girls or boys. A good friend of mine gave birth to her fourth boy about six weeks ago and a Mummy friend from school has four girls. I feel very lucky to be blessed with such special little ladies, and Daddy is pleased as he still gets to take them to Terriers matches and play football in the garden (did you know ballet tutus and football shirts look really good together ;) )

I never found out the sex of the girls, the surprise was lovely as long as you like cream baby clothes. Like you say, yellow is still girlie and green is for boys! We only found out this time so we could prepare being so close to Christmas, but also to help the girls emotionally prepare for her arrival a bit better. Part of me still worries we might get a shock on the big day, but 'they'd' have to be well hidden after 4 scans saying it's a girl!
B

Oh, forgot to add that the house is coming along nicely, Sam will be putting the cot up tonight and then it's just finishing touches like mounting pictures and unpacking ornament things. Unluckily for us, the Mr had a mishap with the car (parking it at the top of the steep drive, not leaving it in gear, handbrake cable snapping, Mr nearly gets run over, garage at the bottom of said steep drive gets half flattened.....) All our baby stuff is in there, we can't touch the twisted and contorted door till the insurance have been round today to see what has been damaged. Luckily my Mum had the cot but we still might have to buy a new pram and car seat if they got damaged. How the heck all the stress hasn't made her come yet, I'll never know! So new car and lots of negotiation with insurance companies needed and my hormones aren't being nice to my mood today. Just so thankful Sam wasn't hurt x

Blimey Lisa, you're not getting much luck are you! Glad no one was hurt and fingers crossed none of the baby gear is wrecked. Last thing you need is to have to be shopping for a pram and car seat in december!

Honestly Sarah, this is so typical of us. Smooth pregnancy until it comes to crunch time and everything goes boobies up! I'm so used to Sod and his blooming law messing around with us, I kinda just take it all in my stride now. At least if things are ruined we'll get it paid for on the house insurance- who are thankfully being amazing with us and trying to get it sorted as soon as possible due to circumstances!

gosh what a nightmare! my mother always said it will work out right at the last minute and it always does- il keep my fingers crossed everything else goes smoothly from now on! atleast your hubbys still in tact- your bubs needs him more than a pram- albeit not as useful some may say! haha

xxx

Happy to report that I'm a much happier bunny today. Just about clinging onto that PMA still and it's helping me a lot. Still getting irregular but strongish contractions, hoping the sweep tomorrow might start them off properly cause once my little lady is here, I won't care about anything else that has happened. Hope you're well Sarah and hope you're enjoying baby making Fern (oh to be bumpless, SPD free and to have my sex drive back.....)

Back