Lost & Found... Map Gone AWOL!

Aw, thanks for feedback KD... and Porgeous! Have missed you P, you have been a big inspiration from day one!

That was where the 'exactly' was coming from... didn't feel guilty, but knew it wasn't the smartest choice in the world. Just didn't care at the time, and still think it's not useful to panic about. 5 biccies. I know it's a lot, but they were what I wanted at the time, & 5 was enough, and in the past a whole packet wouldn't have been...

Aww thank you so much!

Re your comment about the biccies I am totally with you on this and don't see it as something we should panic about.

I sometimes feel that as a life long dieter and having always had a weight problem I struggle to find the balance of "normal" eating behaviour. When I first went into maintenance I thought that to be normal I should only really eat healthily because surely that was what a naturally thin person would do. Gradually by observing slim people I realised that they do eat bars of chocolate, they do have doughnuts, they do go to millies cookies etc etc. The only real difference is they don't do it every day and they don't have 10 doughnuts when one will do. These days if I want to eat 5 or even 6 biscuits I do confident that I probably won't want to tomorrow.

You sound totally in control and there in lies the key xxxxx

I sometimes feel that as a life long dieter and having always had a weight problem I struggle to find the balance of "normal" eating behaviour. When I first went into maintenance I thought that to be normal I should only really eat healthily because surely that was what a naturally thin person would do. Gradually by observing slim people I realised that they do eat bars of chocolate, they do have doughnuts, they do go to millies cookies etc etc. The only real difference is they don't do it every day and they don't have 10 doughnuts when one will do. These days if I want to eat 5 or even 6 biscuits I do confident that I probably won't want to tomorrow.

You sound totally in control and there in lies the key xxxxx
Hi Porgeous. I am new here. Nice to meet you and congrats on your weight maintenance. When I grow up, I want to be just like you :) You, KD, Serena and everyone on here is helping me to see I can be in control and I can do it.

Good advice KD
It's easy to say "I HAVE to have sugar foods". That gives us permission to eat them, without having to give ourselves any responsibility for it. It's a cop out Yeah...I'm harsh aren't I :eek:
I agree but sometimes women and nature just don't go especially with food;) I think we need to look out for when it's triggered, stop and think. Maybe the month after, around that time or even a few days before try and improve the blood sugar level with the food you suggest, perhaps it will help? Will give it a try.

Sorry Katy, taken over your diary with totm talk

Katy, hope you are feeling better today.

Reading the posts on this thread is really useful, seeing the similar experiences & challenges fellow CDers have dealt with & continue to face.
KD's wise words are very helpful and reinforce the thinking l need to take on board now & when l get to the maintenance stage.

Porgeous, congratulations on your weight loss & maintaining it for a year so far. You look amazing. :happy096:

A

KD... where's the veggies? There wasn't anything of value much yesterday, it was a sugar day,

Fair enough :D

I was thinking this afternoon (again:sigh:), I hope you don't ever think I'm telling you that you are doing it wrong, and that you need to do it this or that way.

I guess, I read your message and thought, ah yes...I can understand that. But I'm not in your head, or really know whether it's right or wrong for you at the time. Only you know that.

It's no good me saying about freedom of food etc, then pouncing on you when you practice it :D

So, when I read a message I'll think..yeah..wonder whether she could use this technique if it happens that the choice is one she doesn't want and not sure how to combat it. I then relate about where I found the gun and how to blast the demon out :D...well, how I did it anyway.

After all, it's good to have some ammunition in the drawer for future reference :p

It's never to judge. Don't want you living in fear of putting your days food up here, in case you think I'll blast it into space and :copon::copon: you, cos it aint like that at all.

Waffle, waffle.

Hope the pains have gone and the weather behaved when you were in the garden :hug99:

KD, you have it so wrong. I LOVE it when I get a post from you and I always try to soak it up because I know how much thought you have given to all this, and how much experience you have, and that maybe you even made the same mistakes I am making but that in the end you GOT IT RIGHT.

I know the first time we crossed paths on minis, on the emotional eating thread back in jan, I was very resistant and thought I knew best, even though I knew nothing at all. A lot of what you said back then makes much more sense now, but even then I knew you were telling me something important, even if I didn't want to hear it at the time! I don't know if you realize KD how much we respect and value your opinions here on minis. And please, never be worried about saying what you feel or think!

I do deliberately post the food stuff online because I want to understand it, good and bad. I could easily fib about days like yesterday but who would I be fooling? Only me. Better to get it out there and see if anyone has any insight, if there is something I can learn. And even posting and thinking it through makes it clearer to me, so I will go on posting for now!

Big hugs KD, your comments are always welcome and always wise.

xxx

Sun June 7th

Better day, not perfect, but still.

Brekky: porridge, berries, flaked almonds, 0% yog, cinnamon
snack: CD hot choc & CD bar
lunch: 2 boiled eggs on soda bread
snack: slice soda bread with peanut butter & mashed banana (friends round & cake being eaten, & I didn't want to eat cake/biccies today)
tea: 2 x quorn sausages, multigrain bread, rocket & watercress, tomato

Bit heavy on bread today and still light on veggies, so protein and veggies is my plan for tomorrow! I can still see the sugar craving at work, but not controlling me anyway... feel better too and cramps gone.

xxx

Aww, you two are lovely :)

I know what you're saying, and I'm not being over sensitive or worried about what you might think of me :p

Just wanted you to know that I'm not judging you when I give suggestions. That I do understand, and I'm not giving you a clip around the ear.

It's surprisingly hard sometimes to try to help without coming over as a know it all :rolleyes: or someone who thinks she has all the answers, when I most certainly don't. Can only say what works for me.

Having said that...I know somethings that work (probably for all) and somethings that would only work for some.

Oh and Katy..I remember that conversation :D It was a great one :clap:

I remember thinking that although you were disagreeing with me, you'd probably go away and give it more thought. See...I was right :D :D

A

It's surprisingly hard sometimes to try to help without coming over as a know it all :rolleyes: or someone who thinks she has all the answers, when I most certainly don't. Can only say what works for me.

Alas that's the difficulty of the written word isn't it? People will interpret tones, expressions etc all in different ways. Plus emotions are running high anyhow, and we come from different walks of life (and levels of weirdity ;)) so it's inevitable there'll be misunderstandings.

Right I really need to get back to work.

Alas that's the difficulty of the written word isn't it? People will interpret tones, expressions etc all in different ways. .

Yeah. So much easier when they are in my offline world. Can just do a clip around the ear, without much explanation :D

KD, you have it so wrong. I LOVE it when I get a post from you and I always try to soak it up because I know how much thought you have given to all this, and how much experience you have, and that maybe you even made the same mistakes I am making but that in the end you GOT IT RIGHT.

I know the first time we crossed paths on minis, on the emotional eating thread back in jan, I was very resistant and thought I knew best, even though I knew nothing at all. A lot of what you said back then makes much more sense now, but even then I knew you were telling me something important, even if I didn't want to hear it at the time! I don't know if you realize KD how much we respect and value your opinions here on minis. And please, never be worried about saying what you feel or think!

I do deliberately post the food stuff online because I want to understand it, good and bad. I could easily fib about days like yesterday but who would I be fooling? Only me. Better to get it out there and see if anyone has any insight, if there is something I can learn. And even posting and thinking it through makes it clearer to me, so I will go on posting for now!

Big hugs KD, your comments are always welcome and always wise.

xxx

Here here, Katy. We all soak up KDs posts. It is amazing the amount of insight she has and I am so proud of you for the way you are coming to understand yourself and how you are dealing with it. I just hope that I can finally sort my head out now. It has occurred to me (very slowly) that my REAL issue(s) are not with food at all. No other diet has ever made me realise that before.

Porgeous still looks gorgeous - such an inspiration.

Last edited:
It has occurred to me (very slowly) that my REAL issue(s) are not with food at all.

Very true and the thing that most people miss out on is that the problem isn't even with the weight, though obviously the focus is more on that until you are really off the diet. After that, monitoring weight is important, but it's only a rough monitor to gauge how well your sorting out the other problems :D

I say 'rough' because you can maintain your weight without really sorting out any food issues, by dieting on/off constantly.

It does your head in in the end though :eek: (dieting on/off that is rather than just dealing with the head stuff)

Last edited:
Very true and the thing that most people miss out on is that the problem isn't even with the weight, though obviously the focus is more on that until you are really off the diet. After that, monitoring weight is important, but it's only a rough monitor to gauge how well your sorting out the other problems :D

I say 'rough' because you can maintain your weight without really sorting out any food issues, by dieting on/off constantly.

It does your head in in the end though :eek: (dieting on/off that is rather than just dealing with the head stuff)

Lol, my head is well and truly done in!!!!! I feel as though I am coming through a period of real introversion now though. Reaching out to people that I had previously pushed away or lost contact with, as I am loving myself more now and therefore can love others as well. Never expected any of this KD and I am sure so many others will say the same xx

Chels, you've come a long, long way - not talking about the walk, either!!!! It's not just the weight loss but the way you learning about yourself and finding new ways to handle difficult emotions... I was kind of amazed at the idea that you could just try FEELING the emotions instead of trying to numb it all, make it disappear. So strange and wonderful that CD can create this kind of chain reaction of learning, changing, growing.

Minis is part of the equation... so many things come up, and if you're in the right space to learn, there is no better place to do it.

xxx

Mon June 8th

OK. Very stressful day with work, not in a negative way exactly, but lots of nervous energy spent and massive challenges mentally and emotionally. But I survived!

Brekky: porridge, berries, seeds/nuts, 0% greek yog
Snack: CD hot choc
Snack: (midday) CD bar
Lunch: (3.30) half bowl home made minestrone, no bread
Tea: spaghetti & cheese sauce with quorn chicken pieces, courgette & green salad.
Snack: 1 slice ryebread with peanut butter & 1/3 banana

Looking at shape of the days food, still low on veggies & high on sugar, but it felt fine and got me through. Tomorrow, no big stresses loom, so hopefully try for a healthier day with more veg, less stodge.

xxx

Chels, you've come a long, long way - not talking about the walk, either!!!! It's not just the weight loss but the way you learning about yourself and finding new ways to handle difficult emotions... I was kind of amazed at the idea that you could just try FEELING the emotions instead of trying to numb it all, make it disappear. So strange and wonderful that CD can create this kind of chain reaction of learning, changing, growing.

Minis is part of the equation... so many things come up, and if you're in the right space to learn, there is no better place to do it.

xxx

KC I don't think I could have got this far without Minis. It is amazing that so many people are feeling exactly the same about food and life etc. I have drawn a huge amount of strength and inspiration from people like yourself and where would we be without KD and Porgeous and Serena??????

Hope you have a fab day today xx

Back