Lou's weight loss recipe thread

Looou

i am a chef who cooks low calorie low carb meals for people wanting to lose weight and want to share my recipes here to help people

I am losing weight myself, I am 28st 7lbs..

Unfortunately I can't eat most of my recipes as I am vegetarian! Annoying !!

Here's the first recipe:

hunters chicken serves 4

Calories per serving 330

Sugar and gluten free

4 chicken breasts
4 smoked bacon rashers
2 cartons passata
2 whole garlic (crushed)
2 tsp smoked paprika
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

This is super easy! Wrap chicken in bacon and place in oven proof dish, mix other ingredients in a bowl then pour over the chicken and bake on 180 fan for 30-35 mins.

Sprinkle cheese over and serve with fresh salad :)

Would love to see pics if you try my recipes! Xx

Pic shows hunters chicken ready for customers :)

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Another easy recipe that tastes great!

This will make around 4 servings - you can buy tubs in the 99p shop to freeze these, they freeze really well and take around 10 mins to microwave from frozen

Red pepper, tomato and basil soup

181 calories per serving
Sugar and gluten free
Low carb

1 onion
3 red peppers
1 tbsp olive oil
4 passata
Bunch of fresh basil
Salt and pepper

Roughly chop onion and deseed peppers then roughly chop them too. Chuck it all in a pan with the olive oil and cook for about 5-8 mins until onions and peppers have softened. Add passata and season well. Leave to simmer for around 15-20 mins until peppers are soft. Throw in the basil, stalks and all then blend well!

You can use dried basil but fresh tastes better :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 20
Sugar free granola

This will make around 2 weeks worth of granola and keeps well in a tub. Serve with natural yogurt for a filling breakfast.

1kg porridge oats
1 bag of dried fruit and nut mix
1 block unsalted butter
2 tbsp stevia (available in tesco)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

Pour oats into a big oven tray and then melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds - 1 minute.
Sprinkle stevia and cinnamon over oats and pour the melted butter on. Mix really well, clumps are good!

Bake in oven on 180 for 20 mins, the smell will be amazing !! Remove tray, allow to cool then mix in the bag of dried fruits and nut.

Yum !! This is one of my faves :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Low sugar dark chocolate strawberry pudding

Now this is a popular one and so easy to make!
As you can see by the pics I use little pots to serve them and this pudding is so rich you only need a little to get a big chocolate hit.

It's totally freezable so you can make a big batch and freeze in ice cube trays perhaps and defrost yourself 1 or 2 to have as a little pudding.

Not so low on calories but if you try this you'll thank me ;)

Approx 150cals per 1.5 tbsp full

100g 74% / 85% dark chocolate
50g unsalted butter
300ml double cream
Fresh strawberry to serve

Melt your chocolate and butter together, microwave is fine, just do it in 20 second bursts and mix occasionally to stop it burning. Once it's all melted mix well then add the cream.
Keep mixing until it's all the same colour and starts to thicken.

Done!
Try not to eat the whole bowl!

Serve with fresh strawberries or even orange segments for a chocolate orange pudding!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
Italian chicken

You can either do this in a pan or in an oven dish. For the oven I recommend whole breasts and for pan cooking I would suggest diced chicken.

Serves 4.
320 cals per serving
Low carb and full of veg

4 chicken breasts / 1kg diced chicken
2 courgette
2 mixed peppers
2 carrots
1 stick celery
2 onions
Olive oil (if using a pan)
2 passata
Bunch of fresh basil or tbsp dried
Salt and pepper

Chop all veg and add to pan and try off for 5 mins then add chicken and passata. Season well and simmer for 20 mins. Add chopped / dried basil and serve.

For the oven - chuck all ingredients in an oven dish including basil, season well and bake for 30-35 mins on 180

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Courgette soup

121 calories per serving
Light fresh soup full of goodness
Makes around 5/6 servings
This uses gluten free bouillon but you could use a chicken / vegetable stock cube

2 onions
5 courgettes
1.5 tbsp maggi vegetable bouillon (£2 in tesco)
Boiling water
Pepper
1tbsp olive oil

Roughly chop the onions and courgette and fry off for around 5 mins to soften the onions. Add boiling water, not quite enough to cover the courgette and the bouillon or stock cube. Allow to boil for a good 20 mins until courgette is soft. Blend, season with pepper and serve.
The stock will add enough salt

For an extra yummy taste swirl a tbsp of double cream in before serving adding approx 75-100 calories :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 17
I call these Chicken Lunch Tubs and they are very popular as totally freezable and convenient.

My local butcher sells 5kg chicken breast for £20. This is cheaper than tesco and the chicken is far better quality and size than lidl.

I'll give a recipe for a batch cook but you can make smaller amounts.

10 chicken breasts
Garlic
Fresh thyme
Salt
Pepper

Layer the bottom of an oven tray with thyme and whole peeled garlic bulbs, add a little water and optional olive oil and place chicken on top. Season really well and bake in oven on 180 for approx 30 mins or until juices run clear.

You may find you have to pick off the thyme stalks and garlic bulbs but it's all good and it's all flavour!

For sides:

6 peppers chopped in a tray, drizzle olive oil and season then roast for 20 mins

Or

Chop tomatoes / fresh coriander / red onion and mash together with a fork for a salsa

Or

Serve with a simple side salad

This is great high protein low carb lunch that you can defrost the night before and grab and go with it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Surprisingly you can freeze a cooked breakfast!

(All meals I sell are frozen for convenience)

If you are on SW or low carbing but hate the hassle of cooking a breakfast everyday this is ideal! Customers have commented saying they are amazed at how nice they are microwaved for breakfast!

I use gluten free sausages from the butcher but you can use whichever you prefer. I also use smoked bacon medallions as less fat.

Approx 350 cals per breakfast

To make a week's worth:

7 sausages
14 smoked bacon medallions
15 eggs
300g mushrooms
7 tomatoes
100g butter

Oven cook sausages and bacon. Slice tomatoes in half, season well and grill for 10 mins or bake in oven.
Cook off sliced mushrooms in olive oil with salt and pepper.

Put half the butter in a pan and add the eggs. Mix well then season. Keep stirring and when you think the eggs aren't quite done take them off the heat and add the rest of the butter. They will be a chunky creamy texture.

When you freeze and then microwave the breakfast the eggs will cook further and be perfect :)

It's a good idea to invest in some tubs or dig out those old takeaway ones as you can heat your meals and eat out of the tub! No dishes!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
creamy cauliflower chowder with bacon

I made this at work yesterday for the first time, I couldn't taste it because of the bacon :( but it smelled amazing and my assistant who tasted it said it was delish!

It's low carb, gluten free and 193 calories per serving. This recipe makes 6 servings

4 slices bacon, diced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup corn flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
  4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower are tender, about 12-15 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
  5. Serve immediately, garnished with bacon and parsley, if desired.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
The cauliflower chowder looks yummy. Will try it this week. :)

I would suggest blending it a little if you can, just to take the size of the cauliflower down a bit and it makes it creamier :) then add the bacon!
Let me know how it goes :)

I'm making some new recipes this weekend so will post here with pics for you :)

Lamb rogan josh (slow cooker)
Chicken jalfrezi
Low carb fish pie

Chicken Sorrento

To serve 4

Calories per serving 530

4 chicken breasts
30g fresh basil chopped
2 onions diced
5 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 carton passata
300ml double or single cream
Salt and pepper
100g shredded mozzarella (optional)

Another easy one dish recipe. Season the chicken well after adding to oven dish, add all other ingredients except mozzarella (you may want to mix the cream with the passata first in a separate bowl) then bake for approx 40 mins on 180.

Serve with shredded mozzarella and a green salad :)
Low carb, creamy and delicious!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Your recipes sound lovely! Can't wait to try some :)

Chicken jalfrezi

Serves 4 - approx 350 cals per serving

1kg chicken diced
1 whole garlic minced
2 red onions cut into 4 wedges
2 red peppers cute into 8 chunky pieces
1 red chilli pepper deseeded and finely diced
2 tomatoes cut into chunky wedges
1 tsp coriander seeds
1tbsp garam masala
1tbsp turmeric
2 tins chopped toms
Fresh coriander (30g)
Salt and pepper
1.5 tbsp olive oil

Add all veg ingredients, oil and spices except fresh coriander and tin toms to pan and cook for 5 mins on hot then add chicken and coat with spices. Cook for 5-10 mins, keep stirring to stop it sticking then add the tin toms and season really well.
Simmer for 20 mins on medium heat then just before serving, stir through a chopped bunch of fresh coriander.

This smells absolutely amazing! Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
Back