Total Solution Lynne's journey to losing 6stone and running 5k. Countdown to Philadelphia.

Just noticed it says 'Forum Master' under my name. What does that mean?

Your plan sounds good Lynne, not just planning diet but work, appearance and finance. A whole lifestyle change! Brilliant! Xxx

Hi Lynne, am a newbie on here but not to dieting and not even to VLCDs. Just been skimming through your diary and liked your last post. I so agree with you re. appearance. My last pair of size 18 jeans were consigned to the bin three weeks ago as they had become positively indecent and I had vowed I wouldn't buy another pair and had to get back into my 16s but that left me slobbing about in trakkie bottoms most of the time which really isn't me and wasn't doing anything for my mood. I do have a pair of size 18 smart trousers but didn't want to wear them if I wasn't going out to meetings (I work from home). I finally decided I had to buy a new pair of jeans for my sanity and so got a pair of 18s in Sainsbury's for £14. So cheap so it won't matter when they are falling off me in a few weeks - can't wait. In the meantime, I no longer feel like someone off the 'Shameless' housing estate! I've also had about 4" cut off my hair and had it cut into a proper style rather than just long and hanging there. I suit it shorter better anyway. Feel so much better about myself which is what has finally enabled me to get started on this diet. One thing about dressing at work, apparently they say that you should adopt the dress code of the position above the one you currently hold. Good luck with the new regime. :)

Thanks Carrie and Cate. I think I really do need to distance myself from the deputy managers. I had a difficult time on Thursday when I was in a meeting with 2 of the deputy managers and felt they really ganged up on me. They were angry because the managers (3 managers + Head of Service ) had held a meeting about inspection panning without inviting them. Despite my explaining that it was a matter for the Head of Service to decide on who he wished to have at management meetings and that I also agreed with the decision as it was unnecessary for us all to be there since it was largely about organisational matters. However one of them wouldn't let it lie and became quite irate about 'managers making decisions that affected deputies without consulting them. (This was because it had been decided that one of the deputies - not her - should go to the meeting in Manchester rather than attend a conference due to the management changes we're working on.) There then followed a tirade of complaints about things the other 2 managers had or hadn't done, none of which I felt able to comment on. I feel angry just thinking about that meeting now! I really am going to stop engaging in anything like that and be clear about what I am and am not prepared to discuss. I'm sure such attacks are also made on me. No more Ms Nice Person - I have a post card with this on and might put it in front of my desk as a reminder! One of the criticisms I have levelled at me is that I'm 'too nice' and too willing to listen to people and give them the benefit of the doubt - that will be changing, although I dont intend becoming a despot! It's important to remain fair.
I'm really a jeans and trainers type of person but I'm definitely going to invest in more business type outfits in the new year. My main problem is shoes. I can't walk in heels but I'm only 5'1 and often smart trousers are too long for me - even short ones. Shoes aren't so much of a problem in summer but I struggle in winter. The post above me is Head of Service so I think it probably will be a case of more skirt and trouser suits. I wore s skirt yesterday for the first time in years - literally - and managed my walk to the train station by wearing trainers and changing them on the train. Even though my shoes were virtually flat and aren't tight, I was still relieved to get them off at the end of the day! No doubt I'll get used to smart shoes!
I'm definitely going to keep my 'Shameless Look' for weekends and evenings!
I'm also considering a new haircut. Mine always looks nice when I've been to the hairdressers because they are good at straightening it and it always shines and looks in good condition. As soon as I wash it it starts looking a tangled mess again! I keep getting told that it looks best long but maybe shoulder length in a more manageable style is the answer.
I've struggled over the last 3 months or so - partly because I got so down about the problems I had with my leg. However, it's now time to take control. I'm looking forward to a more positive and assertive new year!
Wow, what a rant!

Wow! Your right! The thing is deputy managers will have to make decisions that affect the people they manage... Isn't the clue in the title? Shoulder length hair lovely as long as its a manageable style... I've ended up looking like a mushroom lol. Xxx

Well I think getting all that off your chest is a huge positive. Go you. Plus all the changes you are going to make, I think all you can do to feel better about yourself is a must because if you don't you won't be positive about what you are eating either. Good for you and I think carry on ranting may be the new catch phrase!

Ha ha. Yes, I needed to get that off my chest. I'm sure I'm going to have a few more rants over the next few days! I really am going to have to be a lot more ruthless or I will end up being eaten alive!
It isn't even me so much who has been stabbed in the back. Our head of service has listened to a couple of staff's comments about a colleague manager - without discussiing it fully with him - and now we are both being swapped over to manage each others' offices. My team are actually good to manage despite there being some strong characters amongst them but his team has a history of back biting, cliques and infighting. Neither of us want to move. It adds a further 30 minutes onto my train journey! I feel like I'm being abandoned to the lion's den! I'm really going to have to have my wits about me and I've already got plans for change which won't go down well!
My favourite phrase is 'No more Ms Nice Person.'

Today's calories etc so far:

Lynne I love that you have given yourself a talking too! Firm but fair is my mantra...and my team of 200 staff have responded to that over the last few years.

The he last year I have gone for wearing dresses at work either with a cardie or jacket. Stains bury' always seem to have nice ones that wash and last. At 5.2 I have to wear heels but when on my feet all day go for kitten heels...they don't hurt as much!

keep ranting to us...have a great weekend

I am always dressed in clothes from Sainsbury's. There is a huge one so close to me it's my corner shop. I love lots of the Gok stuff and get loads when they do their 25% off. And the Tu stuff is cheap when you don't want to spend a fortune on clothes which I haven't wanted to as a size 18. I'm looking forward to getting back into my smaller sizes again.

Hi Shrimp and Cate. I've always been described as firm but fair too and I'm supposedly well liked but I know I'm going to be landed in a cage of vipers! It is awful the way the other manager has been treated and it is also awful the lack of support he - and I for that matter - have had from the head of service. My colleague doesn't want to move. He wants to address the issues with his staff and in particular his deputies himself and I most certainly don't want to move and inherit what has been going on. We were told there was going to be a change as a fait de complis. (Not sure if that is spelt right! I think it is) Despite very rational arguments from us as to why this is not a solution to the problem we've basically been told there is to be no compromise. I've accepted that I'm going but I'm going to have to change my management style if I want to avoid having the same treatment. It could be considered that I'm being sent in as a trouble shooter but the problem is that I doubt I will get support from my manager as he took on board what was said about my colleague without checking out how accurate the complaints were. I have told him my concerns. I've always been friendly with staff - and also have a good laugh and exchange notes about our kids etc - but I'm going to have to set very clear boundaries in my new role. I will stay firm but fair but I will be very careful not to be over friendly as I will need to remain on my guard and I will certainly be making it very clear that I am the manager and will be managing. I also used to be pretty close with our head of service (who I managed a few years ago) and have always been a confidente to him but my relationship with him is going to have to change too. There will be no more social or personal discussions -everything will be on a professional and work related level.
To be honest I'm quite looking forward to the changes in some ways - kitten heels here I come!
I get quite a lot of clothes from Asda as it is across the road from my office at the moment. However I'll probably get some in from Sainsburys as my son works
there so I get 10% discount (15% at the moment!) My current office isn't near any decent shops but my new one is in the city centre so instead of staying in and working over lunch time I may go clothes shopping sometimes. I can also stop off at Meadowhall Shopping Centre on the way home some days. (January sales?) I could become quite a fashionista! What a change of image that will be! My new office is also very near to the trendy (but expensive) hairdressers I like. Yes, the move will have some benefits!
Anyway, weight and food wise, I did OK yesterday and stayed below 1200 net calories. My weight this morning was 12st 4lb which is 1lb less than yesterday. I'm going to try to get more steps in today as I hardly did any exercise yesterday. Yesterday's total calorie count was:
BreakfastCaloriesCarbsFatProteinSat FatSodium
Hovis Seed Sensations - Original Seven Seeds Multiseeded Bread, 1 slice12219340150http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202432893?date=2013-11-30
Bertolli - Spread Made With Mild Olive Oil, 2 tsps54060149http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202432965?date=2013-11-30
Marmite - Yeast Extract, 1/2 tsp - 5 gram81010166http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202433065?date=2013-11-30
Add Food Quick Tools
Lunch
New Covent Garden Soup Co - Minestrone With Pancetta and Pecorino Soup, 1 carton30634111441http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202518424?date=2013-11-30
Add Food Quick Tools
Dinner
Young's Chip Shop - 4 Fish Fillets In Crisp Bubbly Batter (S) (1 Fillet Serving ), 1 Fillet19818141021http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202590530?date=2013-11-30
Batchelor's Mushy Original Peas - Peas, Mushy, 150 g13120190300http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202590531?date=2013-11-30
Add Food Quick Tools
Snacks
Options Belgian Choc - Outrageous Orange Hot Chocolate, 200 ml385111130http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202475133?date=2013-11-30
Tassimo Costa Latte - Coffee, 325 ml Cup8856540http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202518818?date=2013-11-30
Generic - Gin and Slimline Tonic, 1 glass5600000http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202681216?date=2013-11-30
Generic - Gin and Slimline Tonic, 2 glass11200000http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202887145?date=2013-11-30
Tassimo Costa Latte - Coffee, 325 ml Cup8856540http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/remove/4202887146?date=2013-11-30
Add Food Quick Tools
Totals1,201107484916797
Your Daily Goal1,2641734247142,500
Remaining6366-6-2-21,703
CaloriesCarbsFatProteinSat FatSodium
*You've earned 64 extra calories from exercise today

Have decided not to update my signature or my statistics until I have lost this 5lb I keep losing and regaining and have got back down to 11st 13lb or less!

Thanks Jael. I'm sure I'll manage - I'm like you, I'm a survivor both at work and in my personal life. I've been through the upset and tearful bit (not in front of people at work) and now I'm in survival / positive mode. Even though I come across as being approachable and quite laid back at work I'm really very tough, and can be quite emotional I'm really quite tough and resilient. So long as I stay focused (I can be quite scatty) I'll be fine. Our management team is quite interesting. I'm the only woman and I'm also the creative / artistic one so I've been responsible for bringing in quite a lot of money through bids and developing a number of projects. However I'm going to have to change and once I move I will only be dealing with core tasks. This has been on the cards anyway as the nature of our work and organisation are changing within today's economic climate. There are even more difficult times ahead and the main thing I suppose is to try to keep in work! We'll probably be OK over the next financial year but it looks like there will be massive cuts in the 2014 /2015 period. I'm luckier than a lot of people in that I will probably be able to take early retirement if the worst comes to the worst.

Have had 360 calories already today. Going to have to earn some back!

Hi Lynne, have a good day and good luck with the 5lbs loss. As you say, it's just getting focused. Read through your food diary for yesterday. Battered fish, mushy peas and a couple of G&Ts - sounded great. :)

Need to use up another 100 calories so going to have to take the dog out for another walk! Either that or get on the treadmill.

11053 steps today which is 300 calories. Diet wise I've stayed within 1200 calories for the 2nd day running. That's brilliant for me!!!! Today's been as follows;

1454 calories eaten - 300 calories exercise = 1154 net calories

That will do me!

Last edited:
11053 steps today which is 300 calories. Diet wise I've stayed within 1200 calories for the 2nd day running. That's brilliant for me!!!! Today's been as follows; 1454 calories eaten - 300 calories exercise = 1154 net calories That will do me! 1454

Well done Lynne! X

Thanks Lil.

Back