Maintaining?

I'm kind of struggling at the moment. I'm obsessed with weighing myself. Obviously to go from being in ketosis to eating normal healthy food the weight does fluctuate by a lb or two,

Yes, it would. Are you doing the Atkins 'refeed' alternative? Can't remember exactly what it was. Isn't it something like adding 10g of carbs a day until you're back up to 'normal' carbs levels?

I know the cambridge plans up to maintenance were vital for me. They really stopped me from going from diet to 'on my own' and stopped the sudden gain.
For me, the diet didn't end when I got to goal. Getting to goal was just one stage of the plan.
but when I weighed myself on Tuesday and it went up 2lbs I was besides myself. A day and toilet trip later it had gone again.
Bloomin scales eh :( It's still important to weigh daily. I still do that now, even though it doesn't really affect my choices of food in the day. I just weigh because I do :D

They say that successful maintainers weigh daily, and I wanted to join their gang:cool:

More than once a day isn't any good though as you know. Okay...I admit, I was a 5 a day weigher :D

I just want to enjoy being at goal, but I'm more worried about being fat now then I was when I was actually fat.
:D Doesn't make sense does it, but I know I feel the same. I feel I have more to lose now (not weightwise obviously). Sucks eh.

My goal was to be in the back dress on my signature. I wore it at my brothers wedding and before I lost the weight I thought...I want to look like that again. Now I'm at that weight I feel fatter then I did before I lost the weight.
I think we are very much more aware of our body shape now. All the hard work and all, we want the results to show. They do show, but it takes a while for the head to catch up. I also think we assume that skinny people don't have the odd lump and bump. Looking around, I find that the majority do have a few that I hadn't noticed before.:confused:

Maintenance is cool...but the job isn't done. I do think that you have to turn the insecurities off IYKWIM. I know that I had to pretend that my body was at goal...just until I could truly believe it. Everyone said I looked fine. I knew that I probably had a distorted view of myself, so I had to just accept that they probably knew best...just this once ;)

If you have a 'refeed' type of programme, do it. You work hard to get that weight off, no good messing up at this stage and it will give you something to focus on as you gradually wean yourself off dieting and on to living as a slim person :clap:

Thanks for the fantastic reply. I was doing Atkins refeed. I lost a further 6lbs, but then I started with pains in my lower back (kidney region). I brushed it off as a water infection, but after a couple of weeks decided to come out of ketosis (been in it for about three months). I think its since then I've struggled, coz whilst in ketosis, I know I wouldnt gain. I'm now doing healthy eating. I'm kind of following low GI as this is the plan for life now. I keep telling myself that I'm not eating enough calories to gain fat and if the scales do go up its water retention (or loo stop needed). I know after a few weeks my body will settle into eating carbs again, but they are my nemesis.....I suppose as long as I don't forget that I should be fine.

Thanks again.xx

Good post!

For me it is definately "being", it just is what it is!! I don't have any emotional benefit link to food anymore so although I can go out and enjoy hugely a nice meal, or enjoy a nice chocolate or two I don't ever link emotion to it, therefore good day, bad day, bored, lonely, happy, sad, irritated etc doesn't result in anything going into my mouth.

I still keep an eye on my weight and weigh every morning but the result in no way controls my mood for the day as I am the cause of everything I do and hence I choose to be slim and choose to be happy with who I am.

M.

I still keep an eye on my weight and weigh every morning but the result in no way controls my mood for the day as I am the cause of everything I do and hence I choose to be slim and choose to be happy with who I am.

M.

I want to be there with you!! That is my next goal. The weigh in does affect my mood for the day...either for good or bad!!

Unfortunately, the number on the scales doesn't really give a good indication of where you're at.

Of course, we need to watch them to a certain extent, but then decifer what it really means.

I know that if I eat a packet of crisps (or two:D), I will weigh in a couple of pounds heavier the next day. Probably because of the salt:rolleyes:

It's not going to tell me how well I'm dealing with my food issues, my aim to look after myself, my desire to live like a normal person, or whether I'm winning the battle of the bulge forever.

I could mope around because of a 2 pound gain, or look at the fact that I only ate 2 packets of crisp instead of the family pack followed by a loaf of bread.

Scales just don't tell the whole story, and as long as you know you are eating what your body needs, then they are just a number...nothing more.

Back