MidnightSparkles 'Unit Diet' Food Diary

BUSINESSWOMAN Helen Thomas has invented a revolutionary new diet plan, which she claims, could rival Weight Watchers and Slimming World.
Chemistry graduate Helen Thomas, 28, came up with the idea for the unit diet after struggling to regain her pre-baby figure, following the birth of her son, Harry, last year.
Helen was frustrated with her lack of success on other diets and started trying out different food combinations, eventually coming up with a matrix based on fat and calories.
Said Helen: 'It took me some time to find the right combination, but when I did, the weight started falling off. The most surprising thing is that I didn't feel hungry as I had with the other diet plans I had tried in the past.'
Friends and family noticed Helen's dramatic weight loss and joined her. In all, 26 slimmers used the plan, with all of them losing weight while still maintaining a sensible, healthy and satisfying diet. In total, Helen's 26 initial Unit Dieters lost 52st, 12.5lbs in six months. Her brother, Steven, lost 5 st over nine months.

She formed Jigsaw Slimming, offering a unique service tailoring diet needs to each individual client. Her plan, The Unit Diet, is a manageable diet for sensible weight loss.
The Unit Diet does not use any fancy potions or expensive supplements. It is based simply on a healthy eating plan and works on a points system with a 'free food' allowance. Its flexibility means that you can still enjoy your favourite foods, even alcohol, and not feel deprived.
Even better news is that you can adjust the diet to
suit you. The diet allows women 8-10 units a day and men 12-15, depending on how much weight there is to lose. For instance, if you have three stone to lose, you will probably lose an average of 2lbs a week. This sounds like a small amount but that is more than half a stone every month, and rapid weight loss is well-known for creating the yo-yo pattern of losing and gaining weight that undermines so many people's efforts to stay slim.
Helen has even produced a guide for eating out, including 'junk' food, pub lunches and shop-bought sandwiches so you can always be prepared - and stick to your diet.
One of the people who tried the diet plan was Helen's mum, Eileen, 54. Eileen is diabetic with a thyroid condition so some diets are unsuitable for her. After continuing with the Unit Diet for six months, however, she went from a size 26 to a size 14.
'I've never followed such an easy diet,' she said. 'After years of battling with my weight and the added difficulty in having diabetes and an under-active thyroid, well, I can't believe I did it. I feel healthy and full of energy.'
Eileen is now 12st 5 lbs. Ideally she would like to reach her target weight of 11st 7lbs.
Jigsaw Slimming classes are due to launch in and around the Chester area. For those who can't attend a class Helen has postal membership and starter packs available. lFor more information or to book a consultation, contact Jigsaw Slimming on 01244 220083 or visit Jigsaw Slimming - home of the unit diet!

I dont get the science part either, I just figured it was just cutting the amount of fat I was eating even lower than when I was counting cals, but then my actual cals have been higher and at the end of the day its calories that count isn't it? If you can enlighten me then please do...lol

Wish I could :confused: Being a low fat diet means you get more bucks for your money, but even so, it's the calories that count.

My 'friend' brings me her diary each week. She looks on me as the dieting counsellor :D She's dead funny actually...but that's another story :D

Anyway, she's been doing the diet for 5 weeks, eats very well, but the calories are higher than they would normally be to lose weight.

A part of me feels that she is losing consitently because she can actually keep to this diet. Works well with her life style. This means she's not having any 'crazy' days to stall her weight loss, but there must be more to this than that.

I'm pleased that it's a chemist who invented it. I trust them more than nutritionalists :D

I'm actually jealous you know:D Would love to try it myself, but mustn't :rolleyes: Will do if I lose the 'normal eating' plot :D

Thanks for posting that article Karion, it was really interesting and inspiring. It's good to see that people are having such a great success with it.

I think your right about your friend. Just being consistant with eating healthily and the fact that it doesn't feel like your on a diet means that there are few slip ups. I have also noticed that the foods I am eating are rather filling. If I have a big bowl of cereal for breakfast then I notice I often leave some of my lunch and then have a smaller dinner, so maybe I am consuming less calories than I think. So maybe that is the secret. I worked out yesterdays cal intake to be around 2000 but I bet its nearer 1500. :D

Hmm, getting very interested in this plan. see they are doing a totally online version from August, sounds ideal. I hope all my probs with Mum and dad will be improving by then and I can set some time aside to get stuck into this. it really does sound great.

Hi Barb,

Just had a look at the online 'Diamond' plan which is coming in August. It looks really good and you get to browse all the online books at your leisure, you get unlimited support from Jigsaw consultants, you also get to record your losses and can keep a diary etc. Not bad for £12.99 per month, especially if you need the support. it's cheaper than four weekly classes.:)

If you want to go it alone though you can always pick up an e-shop starter pack for a one off payment of £9.99 and with it you will have everything you need to start the diet. These are available now.

Gawd, Listen to me you'd think I get commission for handing out this info :p

Anyway, I know how hard it is to diet when you have a lot on your plate, (no pun intended..lol) but as soon as your ready I just know that you will love this diet. I truly hope that whatever problems you are having with your Mum & Dad that they sort themselves out. :hug99:

Take care,

Reactions: KD
Thanks for all that Natalie, I definately think I will be joining you very soon! Mum and Dad are in their 80's; Dad has just had a replacement knee op, has prostate cancer and is registered blind. Mum is tiny and frail but copes very well really, unfortunately she has got a really bad throat and chest at the moment so the timing is really bad. They both need looking after, but I think they are bucking up a bit today.

Back to the unit diet, how well does wine work out? I do indulge most evenings and at the weekend! Naughty Barb! Just want to get my head in gear in readiness!

Love

You've done brilliantly, and if you are happy with the diet that is the best thing of all. That is the hardest part with any diet, finding something you can stick to and not feel hard done by.

I took a look at the sample menus on the site, and I can't work out the logic behind it either, unless it is something to do with controlling the carb binges. Have to say I don't think it would suit me, I don't like cereals, am phobic about fish fingers due to an unfortunate nannying phase, not keen on chips, etc etc. But that's why there are lots of different diets, one thing wouldn't suit everyone.

Did you find any indication of average losses? The figures quoted for the test group don't say if all 26 dieted for the full six months, if they did it averages 1.1lbs per week. Which is fine for a diet which people are enjoying and doesn't actually feel like dieting.

Thanks natalie, saw and have replied! Thank you very much, I do appreciate your help.

Love

Had my weigh in this morning, and after being good all week and drinking 4 litres of fluid ever day i have lost a staggering..........1lb:cry: I am so annoyed and feel like chucking my sw books in the bin, 2 weeks and a 1lb loss arghhhhhhh!!!!!! Am really looking forward to getting my stuff about this diet now, thing i will deffo be joining you, but might have a week off and start again next week. I need to take the pressure off, The scales are ruling my life and i HATE HATE HATE it.

This plan sounds good for me though, free cereal etc, i would happily have a bowl for lunch and i think you are right, when you have a big bowl of cereal, not the piddly portion you get with other diet plans, for breakfast it keeps you mre full up and not looking for something else by 11 o'clock.

Sorry for the rant but i am completely gutted!!

Love Busy XX

ClaireJen,

Did you find any indication of average losses? The figures quoted for the test group don't say if all 26 dieted for the full six months, if they did it averages 1.1lbs per week. Which is fine for a diet which people are enjoying and doesn't actually feel like dieting.

To be honest I think this diets weight loss will be pretty similar to most diets starting with a big(ish) weight loss in the first week and then teetering to 1-2lbs maybe 3lbs (if i'm lucky) per week. I guess it depends on how active a person you are and if your fortunate to have a fast metabolism. A good place to go and see the weekly unit diet losses is the official message board at Jigsaw slimming. Some ladies are regularly losing 2-3lbs per week, and then there are some others with 1-1.5 a week, but on the whole the weight losses are good. Its a shame your not keen on a lot of foods, as this plan is very flexable and you could pretty much work anything into it. But then again if you don't like the free foods it wouldn't be much fun for you as you would have to unit everything.

I saw that your Judddering, I must admit I was quite tempted to try that before I decided upon this diet. How is it going? I'm a wimp I dont think I could handle the down days, I like my food too much :D

Take care,

Awww, Busy I'm sorry your so dissapointed with your loss, I know people say it all the time but a pound is still a pound, and better off than on.

I know what you mean about the scales ruling your head. I can't help myself I am always on them morning and night and if I see a slight gain it totally depresses me and I start to think why do I bother..lol. But thankfully I realise that the only numbers that count are the ones on my official weigh day and believe me. I have had weeks when those scales didn't move. It was most frustrating.

It will be great so see more people doing the unit diet and I look forward to hearing about how you get on if you do make the switch from SW and also reading your diary if you keep one.

Don't worry about ranting, it's good to let off steam.

Hope you feel better soon :hug99:

Busy that is so depressing, I really feel for you. In the last few years I've found it really hard to lose, CD was fine but I put 9 lbs back on again. My metabolism just seems to adjust to lower calories too easily now. I hope the unit diet works well for you.

Natalie, I love the JUDDDering, I promised myself that if I had to diet again I would only eat foods I like, after all if you can't eat a lot it might as well be things you enjoy. The DDs are fine, I don't mind the low intake, and I'm trying to keep the UDs controlled too or it is easy to cancel out the DDs! The scales are a bit fiendish, they fluctuate a lot because every day changes, I just tell myself it would all be OK in the end.

I looked at the weight losses on Jigsaw but people there don't seem as organised as they are here so it was hard to see what was going on. From what you say it is much like you'd expect on most diets, which is good considering all the free foods. I love fruit and yogurt and salad, maybe the sample menu was just rather offputting and I'd prefer working from the matrix.

Anyway, you've made a brilliant start and I shall watch how everyone gets on with this one.

The Unit Diet – Day 8 – Allocated Units 10

Breakfast
Mug of tea 0
Bowl of Special K 0
1 small punnet of blueberries 0
Virtually fat free peach yog 0

Lunch
1 Toasted Cinnamon and Raisin Bagel 1.5
1tsp flora light 0.5
2 Jumbo caramel snack – a jacks 0.5
Mug of Tea 0

Dinner
Gammon Steak 1.5
Mashed potato 0
Small tin beans 0.5
Nectarine 0
Diet coke 0

Supper
Mug of Tea 0
Barbeque snack a jacks 1
Cadburys fudge 1
2 Medium slices bread 0.5
1tsp flora 0.5
3 slices ham 0.5

Total units used 8

Natalie,

Well done on your fabulous weight loss. I have been following your diary entries with interest. It certainly seems like a fab diet, I love most of the food that you eat, so think I could manage it easily. The only problem for me would be a formal weigh in weekly, I find I need the support of a group to keep me on track.
Maybe if the diet takes off big style there will be more support groups available.
Keep up the good work :D

Thanks Holly, I totally understand. I realise that a lot of people like the structure of a club. I am quite a shy person and have always prefered to do things on my own or in my own time otherwise I get all stressed out...lol.

Good luck with the calorie counting, I'll be checking in on your progress.:)

Hi Nat, how is the second week going? I always think that is a hard time on any diet, the novelty starts to wear off a bit and the losses never seem as good. The unit diet seems good from an interest point of view, it isn't very restrictive so there is always a chance to vary things and not get bored.

Hi Claire, thanks for asking. not been around too much the last few days as I have a touch of flu, so not really been eating, I have been in bed mostly with the odd pop onto the internet here and there, but the screen hurts my eyes. Not worried about the diet too much this week, as due to hardly eating will probably still have some kind of loss even if it isn't through following the diet. As soon as I am better it will be back to the unit diet. Hope all is well with your diet and that you have a great weigh in :)

Take care,

Hi Natalie,

Sorry you are not feeling 100%, still in the dieting world at least illness usually means weight loss :D

Hope you feel better soon.:vibes:sending you some positive vibes to help you recover.

Back