Morticia's Musings

Just had a scrummy lunch so thought I would log it here in case I forget how lovely healthy meals are....

Had a stir fry with soy sauce, mushrooms, onions, carrots, prawns, beansprouts, red peppers and a tiny amount of pine nuts thrown in. On top or a cispy salad made up of iceberg lettuce, rocket, grated carrot, cherry toms, yellow peppers, cucumber, grated cabbage, and a small handful of sultanas thrown in.....it was fab..:)

Hi M.....sounds like things are going very good for yoU!

Trigger foods are a bit tricky! Saying you will leave them out forever seems a god plan, but to be honest, not a very realistic one. ;) I think it is important to find out your triggers now, early on, so you can deal with them with the group.llc is need be - but we are all different.

I found bread was a trigger for my physically - not mentally. I have found out that sugar is indeed a trigger for me too - physically AND mentally. But I do not want to cut it out of my life permanently - so I make bargains with myself - if I have this or that - then I will need to be sure and do some vigorous exercise following, etc., Its give and take. But sugar is indeed tricky, as your body seems to remember the next day what time you had it and it wants it again - at least that is what I find. So it is not giving in that is the trick to learn.

But it is all such a personal choice, how to deal with it - just listen to your insticnts,an knowyour limits. And remain aware. Thats really all I could suggest. :)

x

Oh how I remember

the PANIC the first time I put on 2lbs.
It was my first gain, during RTM, after not eating for almost a year.
I felt my heart start racing, my body temperature rose,my face went red - full panic feeling.It was at WI,my LLC was great and re-assuring and said it was always going to happen 1 day. BUt i hated it.
I still fluctuate up and down by a few pounds but deal with it on a weekly basis. If I'm up I cut back a bit, but unlike the old days, if I'm down I don't think , oh, goody, I can have extra.
So some of the messages have got through.

Regarding the triggers - I haven't introduced them all.I just ignored my real danger points during RTM.
BREAD - I still haven't had normal bread because my problem was what I put on it.
Butter, cheese, bacon etc.
No more BLTs for me. It's just a decision i made.
There are so many altrernatives like crispbread,rice cakes etc. I don't miss it now and I don't get that bloated feeling.
It's 18months since I had bread and I truly don't miss it.
My tastes have changed and I LOVE the feeling of being healthy, energetic and slim.
Godd luck girls, however you decide to do it, but re-introducing foods and managing your weight is definitely the hardest part.
I still go to LL group every week to keep on track. I've only missed a couple through work. It's an hour week, a small price to pay. If it was the gym I'd be paying lots of money, hve to go more and for me, get less benefit.
LL has been my best investment.
:bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

Thank you ladies, as usual you both talk much sense.

BL, I had not thought of some foods being a physical trigger as well as a psychological on...interesting and I can see why it makes a difference. I think you're right about never having them. It would not work and I would feel deprived. What I really want to do is re-introduce them and find I no longer crave them. But if that does not happen I would like to be able to control the cravings. Loving the new piccie, you suit that colour.

SB, Thanks for your input re the weight gain. I did actually gain last night at WI for the first time ever. It was 3lb and I was building myself up for it. Actually I was not as down about it as I previously thought. Maybe I am learning something on this journey after all...:). I'm hoping it's just fluid as I've done nothing different and not gone over calorie wise. So we shall see. Loving the pink jacket...:)

Trigger foods... I think it's crucial that you have a good explore at what they are and how they affect you - like BL did. But then it's just as essential to take a step back and re-evaluate your reactions. Taking a step back will be a little painful because a) the greed monster will start shouting b) withdrawal effects ... but it's worth disciplining your mind towards these different mindsets.
At least in my opinion. :)

I have gone up and down, and down and up with all these things, and after low-carbing for so long I am gently reintroducing pasta and bread at my own pace, because I personally feel ready. We don't need a lot of these, I literally find one piece of toast with a protein based breakfast, and maybe some couscous with my dinner - which is more than enough in a day. But even so, I don't have these every day... just when I'd like some. :) I think that's the key... don't develop a habit of having a daily pack of crisps; I actually really don't get people who stand around in the street and munch a bag of crisps or get a pack of Snickers out and scoff it down. ... Cakes, biscuits and such things are and should be enjoyed on special occasions - which realistically don't happen very often. ... Same with chocolate. I dunno, I have no need for it.
I think the idea of many of these 'Trigger Foods' is that they are more often than not, convenience foods, because so much of our lives we are too busy to sit down and plan a healthy meal, and to have it in good time. I've made the effort to plan and cook it, sit down... like I get up an extra 30 minutes early in the morning so that I get to have a lovely cooked breakfast. Many trigger foods are snacks for the person on the go. ... but where are we really rushing to?

:) I dunno... I ramble. At the end, always ask yourself: is <the item> worth what it gives me? Be it pleasure, calories, energy, convenience...? Then work your way from there.

^_^

Thanks for the advice Min. It's good to get everyones experience on these things.

Well I've had an interesting week. A bit of a roller-coaster as far as my head is concerned. I've felt my tummy bloated and felt like I've been retaining fluid. But it's gone on longer than usual, over a week. At W/I I had gained 3lb, despite sticking to plan. So this made me think still it was just fluid but now I'm not so sure. Since I increased my calories last weekend I've experienced hunger for the first time, I'm looking for snacks more and am def eating more, though I'm still making healthy choices...just eating lots of it. Some days 8 portions of fruit. So my thoughts are that I officially came out of ketosis last week, later than I thought but it fits with suddenly feeling hungry and gaining weight despite staying on plan.

So, psychologically the weight gain has been a bit of a downer. Every morning I get up hoping I'm back to my lowest weight again and every morning without fail I've gained some more...and I am getting more and more deflated. I have to keep reminding myself that almost 4 stones is not going to go on overnight but my irrational head thinks that a weight gain every day means I will be back up to my pre LL weight before I know it...:(

How can I stop the weight gain?...when does it stop?, I'm only having between 900-1000 cals a day so surely I should still be losing?...what is happening?

Hi M.....I understand how you are feeling. The first time I had a gain in RTM< I was like, "ummm.....NO....I don;t DO gains....I only lose now!!" :D BUt alas, reality sets in, and we have toa ccept that our weight is going to now flucuate with the addition of food, glycogen coming back, etc. BUt I bet if you measured, you would still have the same measurements. ;)

But don;t worry - I freaked out - SB freaked out - it's normal. We got spoile in abstinance.

If you are following RTM carefully, then it will sort itself out. Don;t forget - I gained EIGHT pounds in one week when bread was introduced - but it soon went -withing 2 weeks....most of it in 1.

I knwo it can feel bad, and can deflate you - but it is all part of the plan, just a bit to get our heads around after constant losses.

YOu are doing great - and will continue to great. SO try not to stress too much as your body readjusts to eating. DO watch the fruit though - and maybe try some veg and hummous, or yogurt dip, etc., rather then all fruit as the sugars in fruit can get ya. It did me. Now after this past year, and metabolism more sorted out, I eat an awful lot of fruit but my body deals with it more efficiently now then it did in the early weeks after re-feeding.

<<<hugs>>> don;t be frightended by what the scales do - you are still very much in control and are going to come out of all of this on top!!!

xxx

I have an issue with trying not to freak out over my gains too at the moment! So, I know how you feel. You try to rationalise, you try to remain calm, but that subconscious voice is freaking out because it's just not natural after such a long period of expected losses!

However - the main issue is: as long as you lead a balanced life, and not let this small period of "freak-out" influence your decisions in the long term then you will be absolutely 100% fine. ... because I do know that once that irrational mind starts getting more conscious - we are more likely to sabotage our success. You know the type of voice... the one that says: "You won't stop gaining now, so what's the use in being careful?" ... "Oh it's all over, who am I kidding, I might as well have the cake instead of the apple, because I know I'll gain anyway" ... NO, NO, NO. Don't listen. Your weight WILL stabilise, bodies are SUPPOSED to fluctuate in gains and losses, it's never a constant number! Our every day decisions are still important.

Never forget to look at the big picture. It's all too easy to get lost in the small details of every day gains and losses. Once you finish RTM, I do suggest having a WEEKLY Weigh In and charting that instead. Put your scales away in the cupboard - I think this will drastically help your sanity.

Plus, remember... Never truly trust how you 'feel'. I have my "fat days", I feel like an elephant even though I'm exactly the same as I was the previous day. Just keep doing the best you can, because as long as you do that, you'll never fall into the despair cycle which can start so easily.

Never give up because your self-worth and happiness are worth fighting for! You are beautiful and have come a very very long way. Don't let a few water-weight/stabilisation lb's weigh you down!

:)

Thanks guys,

It really is a huge relief to come hear and read such thoughtful replies.

BL I think you are right re the fruit. Was thinking along those lines myself so will cut back a bit over the weekend and see how things go.

Min, I know what you mean re the scales. I've always known that I am obsessed with weighing myself daily, though it's a hard habit to break I am going to start now as I'm away for the weekend I shall only weigh myself on Tuesday morning now...small steps and all that.

Thanks again guys...:)

Hey Hun

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it. TBH I am petrified of the day the scales show a gain. I think you are handling it marvellously and Min and BL et al have given you such brilliant advice. No doubt you will be coming to my rescue when I hit these blips - you old pro you <G>

Scotland was awesome and I never realised Glasgow was so huge!!! and so pretty - well what I saw of it driving through. Will have to plan a weekend up there later this year or early next year. I am in love with Scotland - you are soooo lucky to live in such an amazing part of the world.

Keep us updated with how it is going - I am also a scale junkie, so will have to watch that for sure.

Jez
xx

hi there
how's it going - are managing to cut back on the fruit?

i'm getting used to the scales increasing at the moment unfortunately, but i am getting obsessed with weighing so am thinking of getting rid of them and relying on my weekly LL weigh in. Ive also cut back on the amount of fruit i'm eating to see if it makes a difference

daisy x

Well fruit! I remember Hussein back in the day (an old MiniMins member), he went a little crazy with the fruit! See; because fruit has such a high sugar content (some more than others - you can research this online :) ) , it can actually MAKE you hungry. I had to actively avoid grapes in the beginning because if I had one, that was it, I needed the whole bowl! Sugar makes you hungry because of the blood-sugar levels going up, and then down very rapidly, which causes that hunger.

So be careful. Plus, some fruit can be very calorific, one medium banana is 100 calories! And 100g of apple (which means about half of a medium one) is 50 or so. It all adds up, so, it's important to keep an eye on how much of a portion we; as individuals truly need... and to keep them special. Rather than having snacks of them throughout - keep them as a dessert option, or a pre-set light mid-afternoon luncheon. :)

I have found now Min, a year on, as my metabolism has sorted itself out, fruit doesnt have those affects, and the calories seem to not make a matter. I have daily at least 2 apples, a few kiwi, and usually some berries, or a peach or some other peice, and about 3 bananas a week, and I have no ill effect from that. Calories and all. But - in the beginning, I think that may be when the sugar really can get ya in a trap. I found that in the first few weeks of fruit on RTM, I had to really watch it. Happily, not any more. :)

Course, all our bodies react differently to sugars and different types of carbs, etc.

I would definately avoid ODing on fruit in early days after coming off the diet, and then see how it goes down the road as yourbody regulates itself. :)

I have found now Min, a year on, as my metabolism has sorted itself out, fruit doesnt have those affects.

That's actually great to know! :D I do eat frozen fruit at the moment in my yoghurt in the evenings, and have learned to have respect for grapes (i.e. have a few - but learn when to stop). But after an apple I still do get an overwhelming hunger sometimes which I find scary! I want to eat two in a row!
But it's comforting to know that it will pass with time. :eek: I love fruit! It's so much more attractive and tasty than chocolate or cake.

Apples are a definite problem for me, more so than other fruit. Within an hour of eating an apple I am normally "starving" hungry - far more so than before I had the apple! I have discovered nectarines though, which for me, are a much better filler and the full feeling lasts longer.

As has already been said Morticia - keep an eye on the fruit. I normally have no more than 3/4 portions a day.

Gosh, what a lot of replies. Thanks everyone for your input. I've been away for a hectic weekend. Was not able to eat out in normal restaurants that I would go to, was very much food on the go as we drove for 6 hours each day, out late etc. So due to that my fruit intake was probably just as much as before, but on a good note, I never made any poor choices. I just basically eat fruit when I was unable to choose some decent protein. Why is it that service station food is always so unhealthy??? Even the fruit there looks old and tired. Luckily I packed a huge bag of fruit to take with me.

On another note, I had some tummy cramps today while stopping at a service station and I recognised that in the past this would have been a prime time for me to head over to the cakes etc for some comfort food. Even though I was not strongly drawn to do the same again I tried to mentally do a thought record and put those old feelings to bed. Worked well, I'm hoping that with a lot of repitition and just recognising the feelings they will lose the strength they once had.

That's all for just now. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm off to catch up on all the recent activity on this forum....tis lovely to have more LL'ers here now...:)

Sounds like you did really well, and I so have to agree with you about food at services having stopped at a fair few myself over the past 10 days it is totally yuck, unless you have a services with an M&S!

Jez
xx

Wow! These have been some really interesting posts - I'm so glad it's not just me who gets the hungry feeling after an apple. I remember when I was "being good" and was hungry/peckish I would have an apple - and like others have said - would be ravenous within an hour, it really doesn't help stave off hunger pangs...

Morticia - congratulations on making good choices in difficult circumstances while travelling.

Thanks everyone for the fruit hints. Good to know not to rush for the apples as a filler when they can be introduced. xx

Morticia, I think TI is right and had a great idea, we need to organise a meeting up before the end of the year, lol that way I can get back up to Scotland sooner!! hehehehehe. In RTM class tonight we had a big discussion re fruit, as one of the ladies has just done week 3, made me think of you and wonder how it was going on the fruit front?

Jez
xx

Back