My Atkins Journey and diary

the only thing i can suggest is that your body is taking its own time to adjust to the food intake, after having none, it may take a wee while?

i am struggling, not with the food, that bit is easy to stick to, but i don't lose weight easily, i have long stalls, though eating 'legal' all the time.
some of us are just more prone to hanging on to our fat supplies i think!
persevere, give it a thorough chance to start working.

Morning Jules,
Sorry to hear you are having a down morning. The more experienced will have to comment but i guess it might be worth looking back and seeing exactly how lean and green it is. I am tryng to stay clean but it's amazing how easy it is to let 1/2 frankenfoods sneak in every day. Maybe something is stalling you?

Good luck finding the culprit - if you have atkins book then why not look at the chapter specifically for those who are struggling (chapter 20)

Xx

Some things that stall people Julz

Citrix
Cheese
Cream

Hi Julz

Ive just been reading your diary and I hope you dont mind me popping up and saying something

I have only been doing this a week and a day but I have read rerearead and researched and done every atkins website possible

Theres something that you have said a few times that pops out at me and that is whereyou have said you are stuffed after eating

I know we all say we can eat as much as we want of the proteins etc but there are a couple of statements on the atkins site that MAY apply to you --- i dont know --- this is just a suggestion ( and believe me I am not getting into counting calories at all - way too much to take on - - but if we are eating enough to make us 'stuffed' then perhaps we are also eating enough calories to slow down or even stop the weightloss??):

2. Be sensible, not obsessive, about portions.

We don't make you count calories - we just ask you to use a little common sense. You probably could guess that too many calories will slow down your weight loss, but here's a surprise - too few will slow down your metabolism. Start with these recommendations as a minimum and adjust based on your results.

Calorie Recommendations:*
- Women should shoot for a range of 1500 - 1800 calories a day
- Men, should shoot for a range of 1800 - 2000 calories per day

* Calorie recommendations vary depending on your size, gender, age and metabolism.

3. Eat regularly. That's right, no starvation.

Regardless of the phase, you should be eating three regular-sized meals with two snacks every day.

Also - I have misssed it if you have commented anywhere about flax and poop

Are you getting enough fiber and pooping enough? I went three days with no flax and didnt poop even though I was eating salad greens - when I finally ate a Mims and got my flax intake --- wooooo I wont describe it : )

I am sure somewhere theres some little thing thats keeping you from dropping a few pounds - and between us we will come up with it

Stick to it hun - - we are all behind you
xx

Thx all.
I think i will cut out the cream first simply coz i didnt have any this morning but i must say i have had a fair bit. I dont eat tonnes of cheese but i will try that next.
I will look at the amount i eat.
Just polished off 2 mexican flavoured cheese slices(0.6)carbs per slice melted over 2 chicken thighs.
I have a mim most days, but ever since doing shakes i dont go to the loo that often, so doesnt make much differance.
Lots of helpful advice thank you, will reread again and stay positive.

LVLLT said:
croissants ;)

Haha.
I deserved that one.
Thank god i never mentioned what else was on my plate the rest of the week. Never again, felt rough.

Yes it does make you feel rough when you eat carby stuff Julz

Hi Julz,

Don't be too downhearted, I think you're doing really well to take onboard what people are saying. Re: your gain this week. I personally would think it has to do with coming off the wagon for those 4 days. I've done VLCD and atkins before and they're similar in that as soon as you go off the diet you can gain 6-10lbs of water weight almost instantly. If you kept eating a healthy but carby balanced diet this would lower slightly in a week or two until you had normal water (glycogen) supplies and when you go back on low carb or VLCD the water supply will gradually go altogether. The gain is so high to start with because you had NO glycogen supplies so your body grabs and clings on to absolutely everything.

My advice would be to drink as much as you possibly can, that will help flush the water out, cut any atkins products or low sugar products you may have right out for a week, and reduce your cheese/cream intake by half. Also make sure you're not having carby vegetables.

I did shakes for 5 months and then again for 2, and while the loo issues were horrific, since coming off i have had no problems. Do try upping your flax if you're not going much, or buy some benefiber from Boots and mix it with your water.

Good luck.

best of luck love- get back on the atkins wagon and you wil start feeling brill soon (and yummy chicken thighs with that mexican cheese yum!)

Hi Julz,

Don't be too downhearted, I think you're doing really well to take onboard what people are saying. Re: your gain this week. I personally would think it has to do with coming off the wagon for those 4 days. I've done VLCD and atkins before and they're similar in that as soon as you go off the diet you can gain 6-10lbs of water weight almost instantly. If you kept eating a healthy but carby balanced diet this would lower slightly in a week or two until you had normal water (glycogen) supplies and when you go back on low carb or VLCD the water supply will gradually go altogether. The gain is so high to start with because you had NO glycogen supplies so your body grabs and clings on to absolutely everything.

My advice would be to drink as much as you possibly can, that will help flush the water out, cut any atkins products or low sugar products you may have right out for a week, and reduce your cheese/cream intake by half. Also make sure you're not having carby vegetables.

I did shakes for 5 months and then again for 2, and while the loo issues were horrific, since coming off i have had no problems. Do try upping your flax if you're not going much, or buy some benefiber from Boots and mix it with your water.

Good luck.

thx rosebug.
Feel better now that im getting positive feedback.
No cheese or cream tonight, just 2 chinese pork loins with broccoli,sprouts and fried curly kale which was lovely, very suprised.
I have upped my water big style, had 4 ltrs yesterday and on track to have 4 today. Fingers crossed things start to move downwards.
thx again...

Julz the only thing that works for me is keeping it really simple - no cheese (to speak of), no sauces apart from the occasional squirt of mayo, no cream - that's when I lose :)

Dont know if youre having any but aspartame stalls me as well.

Not that I am aware of, probably just having to much of the good stuff.lol

Julz the only thing that works for me is keeping it really simple - no cheese (to speak of), no sauces apart from the occasional squirt of mayo, no cream - that's when I lose :)

Your probably doing the sensible thing. I reckon I am probably just going overboard with the cream and cheese so I am cutting out one for a few days and seeing how things go then doing the same with the cheese. Buying my cheese in slices so that I can monitor how many I have..I do love my cheese :)

Mmmm me too - but you might be Ok with cheese, a lot of people are. You will soon get an idea of what stalls you and what works :)

Morning and good evening Jim,
How you doing?
Well I have been ok today. Made my first flax porriage and well it was interesting to say the least.I think I put to much water in it as it ended up quite gloopy and frog spawn like, but still worth eating.
I bought myself sandwich spreads from morrisons last night,1 x chicken and bacon 0.7 carbs per 100g so i ate the lot for lunch.
My dinner was stuffed lamb without the stuffing and a pork loin along with a favourite of mine at the moment which is fried curly kale and greens. Still a bit hungry but holding off for my jelly once its set.
Dont feel as down today as I think I have been just a bit to heavy handed with the cream and cheese.
I reakon today I have had about 7g of carbs if im calculating right, so have a wee bit of allowance left.
Doubled my water intake as well so that should help.

Going to go through the recipe threads again to decide what I am having tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Yip your right.
Put my chicken thighss in to cook now so that they are all ready for my lunches.
Just had to have something to eat, so made myself some ham and chirizo and a fried egg.Feel better for it and still within my carb allowance.
Still fancy a bit of jelly.

Back