My FIL - RANT!!

Hi all, we went and visited last night, no further news really, the Nurse said she doubted it was a stroke, but thinks it's dehydration maybe, he is not eating or drinking much at all, that plus the fact he has a urinary infection. So, it's out, wait out really.

you think he has given up Jim?

I think so Vicky, so does Colleen.

Such a shame. Must be awful when you want to give up :(

I suspect he just wants everyone to leave him alone. I think we keep people alive to long today somehow.

Me too and a lot of the time its for OUR selfish reasons not for the benefit of the ill/aged.

I suspect he just wants everyone to leave him alone. I think we keep people alive to long today somehow.

I totally agree Jim... how awful for him & all of you. xx

It's a difficult thing really - the balance between taking responsibility for someone's safety and their need to be in control - a real tight rope to walk. There is a point though when we should just let them slip away but frequently we end up keeping them alive to endure more pain and misery. Where is that point though and who draws the line - it isn't an easy question to answer - I don't have the answers but I sure as hell know that both my mum and dad would have been better to have gone a little before they did x

I would have loved my mum to have lived longer than her 73 years. For 72 and three quarters of that time, she was a loving, funny, bright woman who strode out towards life with her arms wide open and a big smile on her face. Cancer stamped that out all too quickly, and she kind of shut herself down, it was almost like saying: "Enough, I'm done".

Different circumstances, I know,

Ach Suze, that's awful sad. Lovely word picture of your mum though - she sounds a lot like you.

Oh my goodness me - what happened to your Mum B? :(

Too many problems, she had a faulty heart valve, asthma, diabetes which needed injections daily and had had 5 kids..............in the end it was all too much for her body, she had a stroke and never recovered, I still miss her even after 26 years.

Aw Brenda, that's so sad. And of course you miss her. x

I was lucky enough to have my dad live until 85 and my mum until 83 but it's always the wrong time. Both had cancer at the very end and "needed to go" as it was all pain no quality in the last couple of weeks. My mum had altzhimers for the last 3 years of her life and a horrible skin condition which gave her hell. Those were not good years but it was not until the last few weeks that I would have liked her to have gone a little easier to save her the pain. It was heartbreaking.

My mother in law has been living with the aftermath of a stroke for the last 6 years and is going really strong at 91 - so, although she's got reduced mobility and is pretty much housebound, it's not all gloom and doom x

Back