No longer using BMI

hannahike

Hi guys,

Dont know if anyone has heard yet but apparently doctors will no longer be using BMI. It will be replaced by a chart that measures your waist instead of your height so it will be taking into account the persons build.

xx

That's interesting - a lot of people think BMI isn't helpful as it's only a guide for average build, fitness, etc which most of us aren't!

Chuffing typical!!!! Just when FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER I have a below 25.0 (normal) BMI AAARRRRGggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's interesting - a lot of people think BMI isn't helpful as it's only a guide for average build, fitness, etc which most of us aren't!

most rugby players would be classed as obese or morbidly obese so it is a bit of a daft thing. having said that i am enjoying seeing my reduce via my ticker !!

i think BMI is a bit dangerous anyway so I think it is a good idea if I were to get down to a "nomal healthy BMI" I would in my opinion look ill due to my build there are too many people making themselves ill trying to achieve a healthy BMI

i am not going of my bmi as i would look shocking if i tried to get to the weight the bmi says i should be ..jenny

I always think BMI is a guide, but not worth getting obsessed over or the holy grail that must be achieved, as has already been said anyone with a reasonable amount of muscle will come out as overweight or even obese which is nonsense, and your waist measurement along with your height & BMI should be looked at all together. I've always thought it odd that men & women use the same chart too, you'd think a healthy BMI for a man would be higher than that for a woman!

a lot of clinics private & nhs use BMI to see if they will treat you for IVF so would be intresting to see if that changed as a lot of people are not over weight but are according to the BMI - My husband is a weight lifter hobbie ... we are total opposite LOL his BMI says his obese but thats the weight of his muscle not fat so i think doing it different will help people like that as well ...thanks for letting us know we look out for more on it

Back