Not Following A Diet- What do You Eat?

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by CoCo, 7 July 2009 Social URL.

1. CoCo

CoCo Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    For anyone not following a diet, such as WW, SW, Slimfast etc, but just trying to eat better, what is your typical days food?
    Mine is usually B= cereal or toast, L=sandwich or salad , D= fish/chicken and veg.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Iris

Iris Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    7st11lb(47.39%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting (also known as relentless self-denial)
    Hi CoCo, I usually have a big brunch, lots of snacks throughout the day to graze on, and a large late dinner. Not ideal, I know, but I find it works ok for me. I use www.essentialsweightloss.co.uk just for tracking what I eat - you might find it handy. They run a free 5 day trial so you can get a feel for it and see if it's helpful.

I copied this from yesterday's food diary, it's a general day's intake for me. The times are all rough ballpark guesstimates - I'm a compulsive fruit nibbler!

[​IMG]

4. Lady_in_London

Lady_in_London Member

Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Hi, I have a 250g tub of cottage cheese, two tomatoes and black olives for breakfast.
    An apple mid morning.
    Lunch is either 250g chicken, with a mix of mixed bean salad, perhaps a couple of new potatoes, salad, sometimes a spoonful of low cal coleslaw. Or it might be breaded cod, cold, instead of the chicken.
    Mid afternoon an apple.
    Dinner could be like lunch, or a couple of Tesco Light Choices burgers with brocolli, sprouts, and a couple of new pots. Or Tesco Light Choices Moussaka. Or any max 350 cal fresh or frozen ready meal with veg. Nothing more in the evening - I am not hungry!

5. CoCo

CoCo Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Thanks for your replies, and thanks Iris for sharing that.

6. W5CHELS

W5CHELS Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.18%)
    Diet:
    My own
    I work away a lot so:
    breakfast - usually fruit or cereal and a yoghurt

lunch - chicken sandwich (brown bread), fruit, yoghurt and maybe something like a Special K bar

dinner - depends what's on the menu - could be chicken salad or pasta or even grab something from a supermarket and eat back in my hotel room

snacks - er usually something like a WW bar or something along those lines...

Just being sensible really, if I really, really want chocolate I have a curly wurly as they are only about 115 calories

I also have one meal a week in which I can eat what I want

7. Stirky7

Stirky7 Believe!

Start Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimfast/JUDDD
    That looks like a great site Iris!

8. Iris

Iris Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    7st11lb(47.39%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting (also known as relentless self-denial)
    It's really good! I kept renewing the 5 day trial (naughty I know!) until I realised I was using it every day and felt appropriately shamed into subscribing. There's a pretty good 3 month offer, though - £14.99.

It's kind of fun to use... appeals to the inner bureaucrat, I guess, everything's so nicely organised. I love the bright colours, too, somehow seems more friendly than the weightlossresources.co.uk alternative. You don't even have to type the full name of the food in the food search, it starts to guess after a few letters. You can multiply copy and paste the stuff you eat every day, too. And there's forums with a lot of supportive folk. It's a great all-round planner, not sure I'd want to be without it these days!

9. aurorasophie

aurorasophie Member

Start Weight:
    12st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1.19%)
    I've just started my diet but I eat a small bowl of cereal and some fruit for breakfast, a 1 egg omelette and a bit of salad for lunch and some chicken and steamed veg for dinner :)

10. Mirror

Mirror Member

Start Weight:
    12st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11lb(14.53%)
    Diet:
    Cutting out all junk food
    I usually always start with a bowl of Bran Flakes and some Flax Seed thrown over it for a nice dose of fiber.
    Lunch is usually a sandwich with some fruit.
    And dinner, anything that happens to be made, not too fussy.
    Oh, and for snacks I usually try to eat my 5 a day.

11. jumanji

jumanji Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    9st12lb(41.32%)
    Diet:
    Lyle McDonald - The Rapid Fat Loss Hand Book
    After moving onto the maintenance part of a diet, I'd either calorie count, or use the 80/20 approach a.k.a 'eating clean'.

See eating clean: Eating Clean - What does it mean?

12. PurpleButterfly

PurpleButterfly 16lb to go!

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(14.6%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting plain and simple :)
    I just eat same as I always did, just with smaller portion sizes and I stop myself snacking too much. Following the old rule is good I find: eat less, exercise more. There are a few things I bear in mind though:

I did always eat a fair bit of fruit and veg anyway, like I said my portion sizes were just a bit on the big side. Oh I just try to eat complex carbs where possible too, cos I know that when I eat non complex carbs I just get hungry a couple of hours later. But then rice and pasta are usually ok for that for me, they sustain ok.

I do make adjustments to my diet according to what I'll be doing that day. i.e. if I cycle to & from work, that's 90mins of cycling plus what I burn off anyway around work, so I know I get more hungry which could be a danger time for eating more. Solution is to have scrambled eggs for breakfast as they are the same calories as my normal breakfast, but waaaaaaaay more sustaining. On low activity days I'll have ready brek as it's 110cals for a bowl and still quite sustaining.

Lunch and dinner usually just depend on what I feel like and what I have available: soup is a good one (I'm using up meals from when I did diet chef for a while which included lots of healthy soups), or rice cakes with houmous and salad-y stuff.
    Dinner.... Changes a lot. Today I even tried pig's cheek in bbq sauce, slow cooked! erm.. won't be trying it again tho lol. Dinner I always make sure at least has protein and a few types of veg in.

And if I need to snack (4pm is usually my deadly time!) it's always on fruit and/or nuts.

Meh I guess it's about finding what works for you though.

13. BlondeBunny

BlondeBunny New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first ever post here!

Anyway I mostly eat really healthy stuff and smaller portions. I have a little list of things not allowed (like no added sugar to foods) and that helps too. I like banana on toast for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and then some grilled meat and some veg for dinner. It varies, but the rule is drink loads of water, smaller portions, healthy food.

I do a lot of working out, that helps too! X

14. mealiepuddin'

mealiepuddin' Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(14.46%)
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    I actually enjoy a healthy diet but have problems with eating the good stuff at the wrong times.

I have swapped my breakfast with my evening meal. Good breakfast and then only fruit salad, small salad or cereal for dinner.

I know of someone that made no other changes other than this and she lost nearly 50lbs.

Just shows you with how many unused calories we got to bed with.

xx

Last edited: 22 July 2009
  15. katewinston

katewinston Banned

Hey nice link there Jumanji, I liked that article

16. jumanji

jumanji Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    9st12lb(41.32%)
    Diet:
    Lyle McDonald - The Rapid Fat Loss Hand Book
    Anytime XD

Of course you can still actually gain weight even while 'eating clean' if you're eating at a caloric surplus, but it certainly makes things a lot harder!

17. LaLaLou

LaLaLou Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    20st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(3.74%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I've started watching my calories. My daily diet usually goes:
    Breakfast: Toast and beans/toast and scrambled eggs/porridge/rice krispies with skimmed milk
    Lunch: Chicken salad /chick salad sandwich/veggie stir fry/omelette
    Dinner: Chicken with veggies or rice, baked potato with beans/chilli

If I want a snack I'll have fruit, yogurt, crackers , snack a jacks, things like that.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Mogget

Mogget Member

Start Weight:
    20st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(26.32%)
    Diet:
    ICMYT/exercise
    B: Small bowl of cereal
    L: Tuna or a protein shake
    D: Really varies, anything from pizza, stir fry, curry, pasta, eggs....

Snacks: fruit, nuts (I eat a lot of fruit throughout the day)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.