o/t Seatbelt extensions

awww I feel soooo much better. Thanks so much Airgirl, you have been brilliant in making me feel better xx

I fly between Germany and UK several times a year. I usually go with whoever is cheapest, so mostly with Ryanair. Sometimes their belts were fine, other times it was a squeeze, but always 'do-able'. Flying back next Weds, this time with Air Berlin (more expensive, but I'm not paying, the Army is lol!) and I am hoping that I can do it up AND have some spare to flap around with ;)
I'm sincerely hoping that by the time we fly out to Miami in December I won't have a care in the world as I board the aeroplane.
For reference, I think the crews are always very sympathetic. What has always worried me is other passengers..especially with Ryanair where it feels like they seat you as you are taxi-ing down the runway, I always feel really rushed and flustered already without the worry of the belt not fitting.

Flying next Wednesday and soooo hoping that 1: I dont need the extension and 2 : that without it i wont feel like i'm being cut in two :eek:
If i dont need one, it'll be the first time in a very very long time. Another one of those little non-scale victories i reckon :)

I remember after the 1st time i needed one the next time i was going somewhere i had completely worked my self up before i got even on the plane, worrying about it!! No amount of drink would help me not to worry!!!

I used to feel like some sort of bondage freak Becky pmsl - by the time i had my belt, my extension and the wee boy's belt all attached together, getting it all done and undone was like something out of the Krypton Factor lmao

(oooh Krypton Factor....showing my age there aren't i lol :eek:)

I'll drink (a glass of water ;)) to that :p

i flew to turkey with thomas cook as a size 22/24 a few years back and had apsolutly no problems with the seat belt either way of the journey.

Hi girls,

I have just come back from hols and didn't need a seat extension for the first time in years. I'm a size 24 at the moment, and fit in easily.

But hey, no one ever gave me a hard time about needing one, even though I was sooo embarressed at first, I got so used to needing one in the end. So if you do need one, I wouldn't worry at all, no one else will care or even notice!

Have a great holiday Bunny :)

Dee x

BunnyJ
Thomas Cooks seats arn't to bad, but dont make yourself uncomfertable wearing the belt, if you need an extension ask. I am cabin crew now and have been for 6 years and I cant tell you how many times a day we get asked for them, and crew dont bat an eye lid,we dont run back to the galley and start saying "jesus lard arse in 34F needs a fatty belt" half the time we just give it out, although I have to admit i usually hide it in my hand when handing it over just incase the passenger is a bit embarrased.
Please dont buy your own off ebay as suggested, it may not fit thomas cooks fitted belts, and it may not work in the same way, so god forbit should anything happen your belt might not release, plus i dont think the airline would be to happy about it if the found out.
honestly, i dont think you have anything to worry about! just ask for them belt if you need it, im 14sttone and 36" waist and when i fasten a buckle onboard the buckle is at the end of the strap lol

one other thing dont sit by a exit row if you think you may need one cuz once i needed one and i was in this row and i had to be moved with other ppl and i could feel everyone looking i was mortified! :(

Oh lord that happened to me too and twas the straw that broke this camels back lol I will never ever ever again need to ask for an extension!!!

Where are you heading to BunnyG?

We flew with Onur air to turkey and on the way out belts were really long with loads extra and the way back were tight enough but the plane was different and the seats were all squashed together.

Try not to worry about it... you are doing all you can on the run up to your trip to avoid it happening and sure if you do need one this time you can console yourself that you defo won't need one next year :D:D:D:D

Just spotted you are flying to Turkey with thomascook... they are partnered with sunworld who we flew with so I would say the airline is the same and I was fine... fingers crossed for ya xx

aww thanks everyone - am really looking forward to my holiday and still have another 3 weeks to go so you've all helped me feel better xx

I no this thread was done a few yrs ago now but jus came acorss it! So bunnyg did u need to get an extension?
X

Oh god this thread brings back so many awful flying memories - the panic as I approach the gate wondering whether I'd need an extension or even fit in the seat - arghhh! Hopefully (everything crossed) those days are behind me now but I really sympathise with what you're going through Bunny!

Airgirl and crewboi- your comments are really helpful and reassuring. Hopefully all cabin crew are as lovely as you!

I recently flew with Monarch - OMG, the seats are TINY! My hips/bum kept pushing up the armrest of the guy sitting next to me and he was getting really annoyed - mortifying.

I don't think that thin people really appreciate what an ordeal getting on an aeroplane can be for bigger people! At least we're all headed in the right direction now!

Happy holidays! xxx

Back