Extra Easy Orlistat & Extra Easy

jenny19888 said:
Some very good points have been raised. Yes I agree that slimming world is a low fat diet anyway so some people would say there is no need to take them but if it keeps me on the straight and narrow and disciplined then I think it's definitely worth a try x

Definitely - see you on the Orlistat forum?? :) xx

Theres certainly no harm in trying it, you might not lose any more taking it but you sure as hell wont lose any less :)

When I was given orlistat by my doc in may 2010 at his suggestion I'd lost 3 1/2 stone on sw and had plateaued for 18 months and nothing my consultants could suggest did anything to shift the rest. So it started creeping back on. Sw is low fat but due to the amounts of food you can eat isn't particularly low fat. The orlistat helped me and I've now lost nearly 6 stone . I don't go to sw anymore but all my recipes are based on sw and its so ingrained in me that eating this way is a way of life. For me the two were very compatible

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well done, sounds like it works really well for you xx

Life would be bloody boring if we were all the same - different things work for different people and when you have a lot of weight to lose keeping on the straight and narrow can be hard when you're looking at years to get to target so I can totally see why people would try it. Why not try something if your doctor approves and thinks it might help?

Good luck with the orlistat ladies! x

missy1978 said:
Life would be bloody boring if we were all the same - different things work for different people and when you have a lot of weight to lose keeping on the straight and narrow can be hard when you're looking at years to get to target so I can totally see why people would try it. Why not try something if your doctor approves and thinks it might help?

Thanks, hon. I figured it would take me a couple of years to lose 10 stone safely, and the first 7.5 stone has gone in 17 months, so I think I was about right. :) I honestly can't say whether the Orlistat has helped me greatly, but it certainly hasn't hurt! xx

Thanks, hon. I figured it would take me a couple of years to lose 10 stone safely, and the first 7.5 stone has gone in 17 months, so I think I was about right. :) I honestly can't say whether the Orlistat has helped me greatly, but it certainly hasn't hurt! xx

You've done brilliantly in that amount of time! I'm hoping to lose 8.5 stone in around 18 months so it's good to see that it's basically do-able. Good luck getting to target! xxx

Exactly! The Dr approves so it can't be that bad. Well I took 2 yesterday and will carry on and see how it goes. I'm looking forward to seeing some good results. I am aiming to get another 2 stone off with the help of Orlistat and then the final 1 1/2 stone off with slimming world alone to get me to target. Fingers crossed xx

missy1978 said:
You've done brilliantly in that amount of time! I'm hoping to lose 8.5 stone in around 18 months so it's good to see that it's basically do-able. Good luck getting to target! xxx

Thanks! It's very do-able - if I can do it, anyone can, lol. I know everyone says that, but it's definitely true in my case! I can't exercise, due to suffering from ME and also severe arthritis in my knees, so anyone who is able to do even the remotest bit of exercise will be able to lose weight quicker than I did. :)

All the very best - you'll be lovely and slim by next Christmas, just think of that!! xx

Thanks! It's very do-able - if I can do it, anyone can, lol. I know everyone says that, but it's definitely true in my case! I can't exercise, due to suffering from ME and also severe arthritis in my knees, so anyone who is able to do even the remotest bit of exercise will be able to lose weight quicker than I did. :)

All the very best - you'll be lovely and slim by next Christmas, just think of that!! xx

I'm hoping to be pregnant by next Christmas lol! But it would be nice to be slim for about five minutes beforehand hehe ;) xxx

Lol, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I'm about a stone heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight - of course my daughter is nearly 13, so I've taken my time getting back down to it. ;) xx

Hiya. I took xenical for about 8/9 yrs! I really thought it was working for me. But looking back my weigh ins at the doctors showed it probably didn't. I yoyoed on it - at one point I gained 1.5 stone! I finally got to target over a year ago and actually stopped taking the tabs about then too. I'm still at target. I think they "mentally" helped me but the GP said it prob wasn't the tabs doing the work it was me. The side effect that I'm left with is constipation - something I never had in my youth. I think I was on them so long my intestines don't work properly without them but it is getting better.

llewis said:
Hiya. I took xenical for about 8/9 yrs! I really thought it was working for me. But looking back my weigh ins at the doctors showed it probably didn't. I yoyoed on it - at one point I gained 1.5 stone! I finally got to target over a year ago and actually stopped taking the tabs about then too. I'm still at target. I think they "mentally" helped me but the GP said it prob wasn't the tabs doing the work it was me. The side effect that I'm left with is constipation - something I never had in my youth. I think I was on them so long my intestines don't work properly without them but it is getting better.

Wow, you're only supposed to stay on them for a year - I thought I was doing well having been on them for 16 months; keep expecting my GP to take them off my prescription! I think we all accept that the drug is more of a form of will power than anything else, but it probably does increase losses a little too. How much did you lose? xx

I used to work for one of the companies who has orlistat. I was involved in the launch of Alli (the over the counter brand of orlistat) and have also done some work with Xenical, doing the education with health care professionals. I won't get involved in the debate here, but please do feel free to ask me any sensible questions x

Well this last time of doing SW I lost 1.5 stone but in total (since starting xenical) I have lost about 5 stone but that has been over 8 yrs. to be really honest I don't think the xenical really made a difference except psychologically - I just needed help and that's the route I took and because I gained weight as well as loosing I did have the not so nice side effects because I was eating high fat food. It was all a confidence thing and once I had that back I got stuck into SW and at the moment find it easy to maintain because I enjoy what I eat I suppose. Good luck with which ever route you take - at the end of the day if you are in the right frame of mind then you will be successful.

I think it's the same for a lot of people. It's the psychological aspect that works as a deterrent but so what if it helps. I'm amazed you got them for that long! I think the maximum time is 2 years isn't it? I know my last box is this month and I will have had them since may 2010. Actually I still have my last 6 boxes :) as a standby bc I found I was losing the same with or without them during the months when they had the manufacturing problem this year do I'm keeping them as a 'just in case' but I don't need them. I lose weight so slowly anyway I figured ill be a good maintainer. But I have decided ill be going back to sw class now to see if I can shift my last stone with a bit more discipline

From my pharmacological knowlage do not go down that route It's only beneficial for short term loss!! As all it does is combine to the fat in your diet so that it is excreted!! In all shapes and form!! Sorry too much knowlage !!!lol.
SW is a healthy eating plan not a kiss me quick answer !! But then hei Ho we know Rome was not built in a day neither did our weight gain!!

Exactly what we're talking about! You need to eat a healthy diet with orlistat otherwise you get the tango effect which is why sw and oflistat are compatible . my doctor told me to do both. Orlistat also Isnt a quick fix answer as you have to change your diet for it it to work.

Back