Other diet bars

This thread just saved my life!
I just ordered bars from Exante, 'cause I restarted today but I'm out. And I just want to chew something!

Also, I love going to the cinema on weekends, because it's a few hours out of my day that I'm occupied and can't think about food. And I always take a bar with me and it works great!
But I won't get those bars until next week. So now I'll pop to the shop after work and check out some of the bars you mentioned

Ohh i might have to invest thanks for this starlight.

OMG I can't believe how nice the Biggest Loser Choc Crisp bar is!!! Actually like a proper choc bar but it's heavy so filling too!! Just bought some from Asda and had one with a cuppa instead of my 4.30/5pm shake - much nicer and feels like the mid-arvo tea/biscuits I used to always have!!

I think I might just start referring to myself as being on a "meal replacement diet" - cos for me, as long as I'm getting 3 TFR a day and a small low-carb/calorie meal in the evenings and I'm losing then I am very happy - ie not so depressed/starving as I was on the LT just 3 shakes a day - I really feel that this is more than manageable now!!!

The way I see it is, mix n match as much as you like, they're all pretty much the same and if it's gonna get you thru on your fave tastes (instead of just bearable) then you're more likely to succeed!!

H x

H x

Hiya

Starlight you said the asda is a TFR diet, is that right?? might have a look , thought it was more like slimfast? Is a lot easier to get ready made shakes and bars isnt it x x if anyone knows please let me know. Thanks x x

Its not a TFR diet, just looked online. You replace 2 meals and have a healthy meal and 2 snacks, so like slimfast

Ready made shakes.

It's great to know there's an option if you're caught short :)

id like to hear how the new bars go along with your weight losses.. if they are fine and safe to use im going to invest! ill let you be the guinea pig though :p

We got some of these today thinking they were asda version of TFR but when dh just had a vanilla one I asked for a slurp and realised it tasted exactly like Slimfast! Really nice and lovely and sweet....cos it contains SUGAR! Aren't we supposed to avoid SF cos of the sugar and poss bringing u out ketosis? I'll get Dh to pee on a stick tom morn and find out, ha! Did taste v nice tho and like u all said, so handy for out n about!
H x

ooo im going to get some of the ready made shakes, as when Im working out and about its hard!! And will get a few bars too to try thanks a lot :)

Very helpful post - thanks for starting this Sandy! I'm struggling to get the exante bars down (if feels like I'm eating MDF or something - eugh) but like the flexibility of the bars for work/being out and about. Think a trip to Asda is in order! :D

A lot of 'supermarket' meal replacement shakes/bars are very high in carbs and most of the carbs come from sugar! So be very careful. Slim fast for instance is absolutely loaded with sugar.....no wonder they make you sooooooo hungry. I remember they bought out a low carb one but it never really took off.
As divster rightly pointed out they are NOT TFR either........they are 2 x meal replacement and 1 healthy meal.
I personally think this is a tweak too far.......it's mixing plans, stick with one for maximum results.

Last edited:
A lot of 'supermarket' meal replacement shakes/bars are very high in carbs and most of the carbs come from sugar! So be very careful. Slim fast for instance is absolutely loaded with sugar.....no wonder they make you sooooooo hungry. I remember they bought out a low carb one but it never really took off.
As divster rightly pointed out they are NOT TFR either........they are 2 x meal replacement and 1 healthy meal.
I personally think this is a tweak too far.......it's mixing plans, stick with one for maximum results.

I also think it asking for a trouble, if your going to get a sugar rush from it, be interesting to see if you stay in ketosis. Like that program I started a thread about, if you have fake sugar calories go into you body, your body expects energy and when that energy dont come along, your body sends out hunger signals. This is going to make you want to eat, very strongly.

Surely if you are caught short, the safer thing is to go for some cooked chicken?

Absolutely Divster....I agree.
They are totally different plans and I think saying that mixing them is ok is sending out the wrong advice on a forum like this.
Sugar gives your body the rush and when your body has released insulin to 'mopp' it all up, it then wants more which is in the form of hunger, as you say!!!
Losing weight is a lot more technical than just calories in calories out....trust me.
If you want to follow the biggest loser....do so, if you want to follow slim fast, do so....but don't mix and match. All these plans, including Exante are worked out nutritionally to the letter.

I have to agree with Lentil and Divster. I understand looking for an alternative when caught short for some reason just to tide you over but even then I would be reluctant to stray. I am a huge research fiend as I said before so I would look into every aspect before even contemplating using a substitute for whatever reason but some people are new to dieting in general and may stumble across this and think its a perfectly fine thing to do if they fancy adding something a little different to their TFR plan.

As an example the Asda shakes (Tetras?) have Granulated sugar listed as the 4th ingredient after Skimmed milk as well as skimmed milk powder. With Sugar being listed as 4th tells me there is a LOT of it in there. In the Exante shakes we have Whey protein There is none in the shakes from Asda.

I totally get that it can get boring sometimes or getting caught short but I would not personally reach for the Asda shelves. If I was not getting on with the exante products to an extent where I was substituting regularly, then I would look at a different plan. I am already on the bare miniumn, so what I do have I want to make sure is balanced, "worked out" and all "fits together" if that makes sense.

Back