Quiet on here isn't it! - (or Sean's RTM Journey)

Last night when I arrived at hotel I was taken out to dinner with my hosts. Nice restaurant with limited choice (of 'allowed' foods), so I went for the grilled minute steak with salad. This duly arrived on a huge pile of Chips and with herb butter melting over the top of it!

I had asked for no potato but extra salad so they took the plate away, removed the chips and added a pile of grated carrot !! I didn't want to make a fuss about the butter so I just moved it off the steak and eat only the lean pieces and salad. Now I left 95% of the carrot as I couldn't remember if it was allowed or not - as yesterday was the last day on week 4 I think it wasn't permitted bout will be tonight! I'll check my listings when I finish this blog.

Desert was suggested, and helpfully there was 'fresh fruit' available which I ordered without the cream/ice cream/yogurt which was good, but it arrived beautifully presented with sprinkle of icing sugar and dribbled bitter-chocolate sauce!!! OMG what do you have to do to eat sensibly within boundaries in this country? Suffice to say I ate the fruit which was great, and tried bot to have too much sugar/sauce...

In total yesterday then I had 2 meals and 1 pack with loads and loads of fruit (or that's what it felt like at the time), but overall still only ~800 Kcal, but no exercise other than around airport so probably my highest net intake day by some margin.

As I said above at the time I didn't feel great about my food choices, but 24 hrs later I'm actually really pleased with myself as good decisions overall, still low cal and actually much more like a 'normal' routine than any other day to date.

Today so far, LL bar for breakfast (I don't like having them as meals as have always seen them as snacks, but I was in a very small hotel yesterday & wasn't sure there would be alternative to cereal/cooked breakfast available)

Now week 5 officially started today so I wanted to join in with the buffet lunch which my hosts were providing. Sadly there were stacks of my absolute favourite finger foods - wide variety of sandwiches & wraps, chinese/indian fried starters, pork pie, scotch eggs (wee we are in the Borders), and praws wrapped in filo pastry with chili dip [takes a 2 minute break to ponder delights foregone]. Only salad was under the other food but fortunately there was also a tray of chicken satay skewers (no dip fortunately). SO to join in I had a plate of those with lettuce from garnish. Really enjoyed but not the greatest lunch ever, even though it was the best option available to me. Yet again I had 2 portions (plate was tiny), but I reckon only ~ 100g in total protein.

Nothing else yet today but due to go out for dinner again later. I can't see the need for the second pack/bar today despite being 'on plan' so I'm going to give it a miss again.

Well all I can say is that you are doing a fantastically sterling job in extreme adverse conditions Sean!!!

You really need to convince your clients to up rate their hotel choices, they sound a bit dire!!!!

Usually the hotels are of a decent quality, it's just the last 3 that have been poor (or at least the food options have been!!).

A quick update on this evening. Client arrived and took me to a local Indian restaurant (bliss). Now I love Indian food but can never remember what menu items contain so I was ordering a little 'blind'.

Ordered shish Kebab to start - which was the mince lamb & Chili on bed of salad, really spicy and tasty, although higher fat/cal than I have been used to. Didn't have any of the yogurt dip though.

Main course I ordered prawn bhuna, which I do know comes in a tomato based sauce. Refused rice etc and has a side-salad. Again really great to eat and a lower-fat option. I know I've complained about food choices recently, but it's even more difficult to make the 'right' choices when you have a full menu to pick from!

One bit o fgood news though, I didn't have any dips, or nuts that were on the table, or even a piece of the huge Nan Bread that was delivered (it was bigger than my LEG!!). Also I haven't missed the rice (ususally I would have eaten rice etc until I was physically stuffed), and feel full but pleasantly so.

Not going to have the second pack. Intake for the day up to a mind-blowing 1,272 (50% up on previous record) but it looks like the 3 hr presenting this morning has burned aprox 380 so net cals of 900 which is still fine.

Don't plan on repeating but a really pleasant diversion from the regementation to date.

You're doing brilliantly Sean and you are difinitely very conscious about your choices! Don't worry about your calorie intake being higher on one day - it all balances out in the end. :)
However one thing I've long since discovered with Indian food/ restaurants; you need to go for 'dry' flavoured chicken like Tandoori - because the wet sauces/tomato and all of them usually have LOTS of added sugar and salt in. The way to make things tasty in restaurants is chuck lots of sugar in, and then balance it back out with spice and salt. So this makes them highly calorific in the end. Same with Chinese/Italian etc.
If you're gonna eat out - try Nando's! :D

Mammoth Catch Up - and first Alcohol in 5 months!

Good advice Min. Re Nando's I've been in Nando's 3 times and each time failed to eat anything (long story) so not my favorite choice I'm afraid.

OK - I've been VERY busy these last few days so I have a bit of catching up to do.

Thursday finished after presentation with another buffet on offer - I think it's a Scottish trait as exactly the same food choices as the previous day, so yet again I had a serving of the chicken skewers, but this time there was also a fruit platter which formed my second plate/course, and contained a good variety of melon, pineapple, grapes. strawberries etc and was most enjoyable. Actually I'm really pleased with just how much I'm enjoying all types of fruit now I'm off the packs this is a revelation as I've never been especially bothered with fruit before, I just hope it continues.

Cup of coffee at the airport any flight home followed by very quick stir-fry of chicken in pasata, with garlic and spices, served with green salad (good to get back to a plain home-cooked meal), low cal etc :) The out to leicester to watch Chicago! starring non-other than Wee Jimmy Osmond (great to see him try & dance)... Had a pint of Soda Water in bar, and wife suggested we share some wine, which I was tempted but decided not the right time (week 5 and alcohol is now 'on plan') Got home around 11.00pm and really wanted a drink/something to eat, pre LL would have sat in front of TV for 30 mins with a couple of glasses of something, but went to bed instead [good boy - but see later].

Friday, LL porridge to start the day early then drive down to Heathrow again for a conference. Really great to catch up with a number of people who last saw me 8 stone ago! reactions were priceless LOL.

Was slightly concerned about lunch options but hadn't needed to worry (this was the Sheraton after all). Started with great mixed salad with ham, prawns, bean sprouts, roasted red pepper etc; skipped 'main course' and finished with fresh fruit (there was a host of wonderful looking deserts and chocolate covered loveliness on offer which I ignored - one day I'll feel confident enough to try one again, but not just yet). I also took an apple and a pear back into the room with me. I had the Apple around 3.00pm and the pear at 5.30 after my slot on stage. Both were delicious (did I mention how much I'm enjoying fruit), and I felt like I'd eaten a lot in the day, but still had a 2.5hr drive home before I could cook anything so again happy with choices.

Got home around 8.15 and saw that there was some asparagus left in the fridge from the weekend which was past it's best. Decided to try a new variation so stir-fried 8-10 asparagus spears with prawns, garlic, 6 cherry tomatoes and some Veg Bullion to keep moist. Served with lettuce and awesome combination of flavour, textures and colours - I strongly suggest trying this one ladies, but have plenty of the stock available and add in small quantities to prevent burning. Muller Light for supper but then we opened a bottle of RED WINE....

I had a small glass, savoured every taste and took over an hour and a quarter to drink it. Throughly enjoyed it and we then put a stopper in the bottle and went to bed. Really glad to have tried wine and just enjoyed the drink. Was slightly concerned about my feelings on this one as I have always been a big wine drinker and 19 weeks without a drink was becoming a bit of an issue for me (in a good/pride way).

Saturday, LL porridge to start with frozen fruit added - this is definitely a good habit I'm developing. Spent the morning catching up on a few chores then drove into Leicester to drop my wife off at a wedding. Came home via supermarket and bought too much fruit in all honesty but wanted to cook something for lunches for next week (didn't quite know what but had a general idea).

At home cooked some of the Quinoa (Keen Wa), and allowed to cool. finely chopped red onion, small tomatoes, grapes, apricot, green chillies, fresh coriander and mixed in the Quinoa to make a 'healthy Tabouleh'. I don't want to have to rely on salad for lunches every day and thought this would be a good alternative. I've made tons and had a small bowl with lettuce for lunch and it is really tasty. (My wife had some for supper when she got home and was also really impressed and plans on having for lunches as well) - I'm really pleased & reckon that if needed can add some soy sauce, or tabasco, to spice it up more when flavour starts to dip; could also serve with salad, or cold meats etc so I think could become something of a staple [saying that I may be bored with t after week one, time will tell].

Dinner Saturday was italian meatballs. These I dry fried and then cooked a tomato, onion and red pepper sauce. Added meat balls to sauce and heated through. Stirred in low fat creme fraiche before serving and I had with green salad, but kids had pasta. Now higher fat & carb content than normal, but a completely 'normal' meal otherwise & I really do need to keep pushing my food boundaries at the moment, especially as I stood on the scales on Saturday (well I missed weigh-in mid week) and it looks like I'm still losing weight).

Finished evening with 2, yes that's 2 small glasses of the red wine, and a bowl of raspberries with low fat yogurt. Total KCal for the day ~ 1,400 but did manage a short walk so ~ 1,300 net.

Oh yes, and despite my wife & I having both now had 3 glasses out of the bottle it's still got some left & is sitting in the kitchen with a stopper in it - lol, how virtuous do I feel!

Sunday, which brings me to today. Had lunch arranged at restaurant with my parents so didn't want porridge so had strawberry shake for breakfast as don't want to skip meals. Must admit to having eaten an apricot and a couple (well 6) of grapes mid morning as well.

All 4 of us went out for lunch and met my parents, which was a really nice thing to do. Good choice on menu and obvious we were going to have 3 courses.

For starter there were a couple of potions I could feel comfortable with and I plumped for the Prawn Cocktail, which the kitchens kindly served without the marie-rose sauce just for me (very kind of them).

I had roast salmon in sweet tomato sauce for main course and avoided roast and boiled potato, and just added some broccoli, carrot and cauliflower. Delicious, healthy and surprisingly filling.

Desert as a non-starter, but I wasn't full and wanted to take a full part in the meal so I had the melon starter for my desert. The Restaurant must have thought I was stark raving bonkers, but they obliged! Now there was mango as well as melon on the plate and I ate about half of that even though it is not yet on the lists, but I left the rest and am happy again to have pushed the rules a little.

Did have a slimline tonic water and a half glass of white wine, and really enjoyed both. Refused numerous offers to top up wine glass and throughly pleased with the whole experience.

Overall this week has been very interesting and I feel I've overcome some significant challenges with only a minor blip or two. Next week is a little more 'normal' with only one night and day away from home, but then on Friday we go away for a long weekend in Edinburgh for the Heineken Cup Final - I really don't quite know what challenges I'll face there, but plan on keeping my eyes open and hopefully making informed decisions throughout. I do know that there will be more exercise, and more alcohol as well as eating out, so should be fun.

If you've read this far, thank you. I hope I'm not boring you.

More tomorrow with luck

You're doing fab there Sean!!

It's amazing how blind we've all been to healthy choices that are available with a little effort when you really start looking at things isn't it?

Thanks FT, it is really interesting to see just how much influence YOU have on YOUR food choices no matter where you are, or even what choice you seem to have. A little determination and there's always a way (even if it does involve picking the fried shell off a chicken breast) LOL.

So last night, had a small portion of the Quinoa Taboleh with Salad, followed by raspberries and low fat yogurt for supper. Cup of coffee and bed. Despite having a 3 course Sunday lunch, total calories for the day still only a very respectable 1,000 KCal. Just goes to show what you can do by choosing healthy options.

I don't know what the scales will say on Wednesday, but I really think I should be looking to up the daily intake to at least 1,500 KCal from this week to stop further weight losses. I'll have to have a chat with LLC about this.

not boring at all sean - great idea having the melon starter as a pudding!
keep up the good work!
daisy x

I think I'm addicted to fruit!

Thanks Daisy, was a little strange though, but very enjoyable.

So to Monday, usual breakfast of LL porridge and frozen Summer berries, then lunch of Quinoa Taboleh. No snacks all day then cooked a trimmed pork loin steak and home-made ratatouille (made with marigold veg bouillon and tomato puree), 2 small apricots and a short evening walk.

Settled down in front of TV and finished off fresh raspberries with low fat fromage fraiche. SO all good & healthy, but then still felt hungry so immediately ate a bunch of grapes. 2 cups of black decaf coffee and bed.

I'm finding that I am feeling increasingly hungry, which I guess is a good sign that I am coming out of Ketosis (surely with the amount of fruit I'm consuming I must be out by now), and also that my metabolism is slowly getting back to more normal levels.

I'm nibbling away at fruit as if it's going out of fashion which is much better than previous habits of cheese, crisps, biscuits, bread, peanuts, etc etc. BUT I am slightly concerned that I nibble as a habit rather than because I 'need' the extra intake.

Each time I follow Gillian's advice and 'feel' the compulsive desire and analyse the reasons why (or at least I think I do), and I guess as my daily calorie intake is still very low I'm not doing any damage. HOWEVER I don't want to get into or maintain habits as there will be a time (probably from this weekend) when I'll have 2,000+ calories without nibbles; so I guess that's when I'll really need to take extra care.

However, so far so good. Oh, and all the fruit has definitely had a beneficial effect on my digestion (if you know what I mean). Should be a 'normal' day again today so will report bak tomorrow,

I remember a few months ago when Huseyin was in about exactly the same stage of RTM as you... Well a little earlier he encountered a problem with fruit as well.

The sugar content within different kinds of fruit varies, the higher the sugar content, the more you'll want to eat it! Grapes are quite bad that way, I actually don't buy grapes anymore - because I remember when they were introduced in RTM I had a lovely binge on them. Not something I wanted to continue, so either sealed small portions or none at all for me for now. :)

Have a look at this table:

Fruits Lowest in Sugar

* Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime
* Rhubarb
* Raspberries
* Blackberries
* Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar

* Strawberries
* Casaba Melon
* Papaya
* Watermelon
* Peaches
* Nectarines
* Blueberries
* Cantaloupes
* Honeydew Melons
* Apples
* Guavas
* Apricots
* Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar

* Plums
* Oranges
* Kiwifruit
* Pears
* Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar

* Tangerines
* Cherries
* Grapes
* Pomegranates
* Mangos
* Figs
* Bananas
* Dried Fruit (Dates, Raisins, Dried Apricots, Prunes)

(From
Low-Carb/Low-Sugar Fruits: A list of the best and the worst fruit for low-carb dieters. )

The thread was here: http://www.minimins.com/route-management/82450-burning-question-about-snacks.html

Great lists, thanks Min

I remember seeing H's thread some time ago & thinking "I could never get hooked on fruit, yuk!" How times change lol

And to Tuesday.

As expected a much more normal day food wise. Normal breakfast of LL Porridge and frozen mixed fruit, lunch was the rest of the Quinoa Taboleh - actually I think I had too much as there was a lot left (~250g), but I did throw a reasonable amount away.

Whilst i was out in town getting watches & rings reduced, I ran into M&S to avoid a downpour and bought their fruit/berry salad which I ate early afternoon. Don't know if I needed it but it is the first time I've had a snack in the working day, and I really enjoyed it. Again a very healthy option that I would never have dreamed of pre LL.

Yet another brilliant reaction from a client who hasn't seen me in ages, this is addictive lol; then home for dinner. Simple stir-fry chicken & garlic with stir-fry mixed veg & pepper, 2 tbs of Soy Sauce and a tsp of sweet chili sauce stirred in at the very end for a small 'kick'. Yet again really enjoyable.

Pudding of Muller Light and later in evening some green seedless grapes. Overall ~ 900KCal so back down to low intake. Didn't feel hungry but as I was on my own last night I did have compulsion to eat more (something, anything) whilst watching TV - I know this is addictive desire as this has always been a BIG trigger for me eating/drinking. But I held fast and made do with 2 mugs of black decaf coffee in stead.

Very little walking, so I'll try & get out for an hour at lunch today (weather permitting), but have LL meeting this evening straight from work then I need to drive up to Stoke where I'm staying overnight so will probably only have time for a pack for dinner rather than full meal, but I'll see what time it is when I get there.

See you soon.

Interesting - Weigh-in

So today has been a very busy day, with normal breakfast and very light salad lunch, then to LL meeting and first weigh-in for 2 weeks. Now I know I should be stopping losing weight, but a small part of me is getting keen to hit 8stone loss which will also see me in the 'normal' BMI range (whatever normal means). Home scales said I got there today (and home scales have been spot on over last 6 weeks with LLC scales), but LLC scales had broken so we were using a temporary set, which should be identical, but 'only' showed a 3lb loss.

There were 4-5 of us who's weights didn't seem right and 2 others who weigh at home & have also been consistent, so we're taking these WI readings with a pinch of salt. From next week LLC has a brand new heavy-duty set arriving so they will be the benchmark, will be interesting next week for all of us!

So another night in a hotel, and arrived too late for dinner so I've had LL soup and a bar which makes 3 packs today but one less meal than I should have had, so no damage there I think.

At group we talked about crooked thinking & HOT thoughts which was really interesting and some BIG issues came out in the group. I sat & listened and can see the point (and indeed self thought/talk is something I practice on a daily basis at work and home), but I am struggling to identify my personal triggers; yes something else for me to work on I feel :)

So presenting again tomorrow then home and on Holiday for 5 days, going to the Heineken Finals in Edinburgh so will be seriously challenged, and I DO intend to be a little 'free' with food and especially drink choices over the weekend. May be a couple of days before I can update, if so please bear with me I'll be having a great time.

Last edited:
hope you having fun!
look forward to the next installment
daisy x

Hi Daisy - quick catch up on today

Shake for breakfast then 3 hrs presenting. Buffet lunch (NOTHING there I fancied/could have) other than raw Rocket and fruit, so that's what I had. What is the Fascination of sandwiched & CHIPS being a healthy lunch?? I don't understand but seems to be universally accepted as a 'good buffet' ??

Tonight quick frying steak (dry fried obviously) with mustard & home made ratatouille, delicious. Planning a quick bowl of fruit & low fat yogurt then to bed (900KCal total fro the day) (although I could be persuaded to have a quick drink first - well we are on holiday) in fact I SHOULD have something else as 1,000 calories just isn't enough, then to bed as 5.00 am start tomorrow.

Feeling good but 'hungry', maybe it's the lack of protein yesterday & today that's catching up with me?

Wish me luck, the fun starts here.

Very interesting reading Sean

A lot of what you say is similar to my experiences on maintenance.
I didn't like raw apples prior to LL. Now I eat loads of them and pears and oranges too. I really enjoy eating apples while going out for my lunch time walk in Brighton. No-one looks at me with that "fat woman stuffing her face" I used to see if I had a sandwich or crisps etc.
When I buy fruit it's surprising how many strangers comment on how healthy my choice is. Was at meeting this morning which concluded with sandwiches,wraps, crisps, stuffed vine leaves , olives and cup cakes.
Thet probably thought I was very rude, but I ate the filling out of a few things and left the bready stuff, had a vine leaf, cherry tomato, qcumber and lettuce garnish - no cup cakes. I noticed the boss woman host didn't eat anything at all as she didn't last time we met.

Sean- as Minerva has said, be careful with grapes. I had a problem with them.They are so fresh and juicy I started to eat them like sweets - very high sugar content.
Likewise all the dried fruits, sultanas, cranberries. apricots and nuts. All high calories - so take it easy on them. That's why I eat so many apples.

Quinoa - it's also lovely hot. Add a couple of spoons of Marigold and boiling water. Use it as a base with roasted veg, natural yogurt, with lemon juice and black pepper. Yum.
And vegetable curry with some of it whizzed up to make a thick sauce.

Don't forget about sugar free jelly with fruit to make a filling desert.
There are so many options.

I also have porridge for breakfast. The type that comes in sachets so I can't increase the portions without realising. i have it made with skimmed milk, add fruit, often frozen summer fruits or blueberries and a sprinkling of cinnnamon and a dollop of no fat yogurt, sets me up for the whole morning.
Keep it up. You are doing great. It's all about sensible choices. :wave_cry:

This thread is addictive reading!

Thanks to all contributors (Sean especially of course!), for sharing so many great recipes and food combinations as well as your thoughts and feelings about how your RTM is progressing. It will be a valuable resource to me when I eventually do get to RTM myself. I am beginning to really believe I will get there. At the moment I have to weigh myself every day to try and get my head around the fact I'm in the 13s. Still can't quite believe it!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hey Sean - you're doing so well. Hope you had a great time at the finals and looking forward to hearing about it :D

Thanks all for you kind words, it means a lot to know others find my inane ramblings helpful/interesting and always brilliant to receive feedback from those who live with the legacy of LL, so to speak.

Now I've 4 days to catch up with - AND WHAT A 4 DAYS to tell you all about.

I'll put as separate posts so I can save without posting in one go, and also to break-up what would otherwise become a VERY long post.

WARNING - THE COMING POSTS ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED

FRIDAY

And the first day of my long weekend away in Edinburgh. Now It's important to realise that this weekend was always my "target" as it was booked well before I started LL, and the plan was always to be able to eat (and importantly) drink as 'normally' as possible whilst away. Hopefully that puts a little of what follows into perspective.

Was I nervous about exposing my new resolve to the big wide World? Actually, NO. I know I am in control, and although I was expecting to be challenged (and I wasn't disappointed), I felt the time was 100% right for my personal journey. Actually I was really excited at the prospect of the tests to come [you already know I'm naturally competitive].

So a 4.30am start with a bowl of LL porridge (no added fruit) and off the the airport.

Arrived in edinburgh around 9.00am and by 10.00am I was hungry, so we had a coffee and snack. We planned on having lunch so my snack was an apple!! (good boy), and was most enjoyable.

The rest of the morning was spent on the tourist sight-seeing busses around the city and at around 1.00pm we walked to the Grassmarket for lunch where we found a very nice French Bistro and ordered from their lunch specials menu.

Before ordering though I had a glass of Pastis (Ricard), one of my MAJOR WEAKNESSES pre LL, and an absolute trigger for me. I LOVED IT :) also some salted peanuts, which were another absolute habit of mine, I had a few but left more :) 2 course dinner followed:

Fresh asparagus with Bayonne Ham - simple and delicious
Beef Skirt in Red Wine reduction & veg - I declined potato and had extra veg. Also I sat and watched the delicious smelling French Bread without having any as well :)

Half bottle of Red Wine between us and a very happy Sean. SIgnificantly more calories than I'm used to but feeling really pleased with sensible choices made.

Friday afternoon spent on foot, including around the Castle (very impressed with Edinburgh as a City, and great that you can walk everywhere) - Isn't walking easier when you're not carrying 8 stone of excess weight around with you - LOL :)

That evening we had booked a local seafood restaurant thanks to our host at the Guest House - which was a private house owned by a former Art & Antiques dealer, right in the centre of the City - very, very highly recommended.

So, table booked for 8.30 as they were busy and we actually sat down around 8.45.

Started with aperitif of a glass of Champagne with a dish of olives (divine). My meal was as follows:

Starter - Local Queen scollops (6) with fresh herb salsa
Main - Roast Monk fish and seasonal vegetables
Desert - Gooseberry Sorbet. (healthiest option)

All washed down with a shared Bottle of Sancerre, and finished off with coffee and a Whiskey (we we are in Scotland).

BOY was that a fantastic meal, all fresh and vibrant flavours with classic drinks. This is exactly what the weekend and indeed the diet have been devised for. 5 months in the planning, and living up to expectations.

Good choices made (I think), and looking at the food & drink log only actually about 2,000 Calories in total, so at the time I was happy, but looking back with that knowledge I'm delighted.

Really feels good to be in the 'World of Food'

Last edited:
Back