Quins; back to the plan.

Woop woop 12 stone spot on. Stay the same bar minus a few grammes. V happy with that.

Having a pukka Bank Holiday weekend birthday celebration.

Loads of nice food and wine, beer with friends and family. Plenty of bike riding too

Friday

B. Boiled eggs , bacon

L. Salmon, mini homemade burgers, salad, smoked mackerel , Sw chips, French stick, Phili cheese, prawns, Doritos , crab pate, Belgian beer.

D. Fruit and nut chocolate.

Saturday

B. Boiled eggs 2 toast

58 miles bike ride

L. Beans on toast

D. Made curry for neighbours , chicken madras, basmati rice, poppadoms, raita, onion cucumber tomato, yoghurt mint sweetener dip, onion bhajees, saag bhajees, Bombay potato, naan, Belgian beer

Loving it.

Monday Up at 6 to eat before 73 mile sportive, totalled 82 miles with ride in and back home.

B. Egg sandwich then a peanut butter sandwich L. Lemon cake at feed station then 2 wm rolls with sausage and brown sauce at finish, 2 cups tea with a sugar.

tough ride, saw 3 very nasty offs, people with cut heads laying in the roads, a broken arm....apparently there were 4 nasty crashes in total. Hope everyone is ok. Got myself a Silver medal. I was first of my group home. Rode flat out on the home leg.

Garmin in says I burned Ives 3000 calories!

D. Entertaining family, roast pork, French stick, salad, roast spuds, gravy, beer wine A SW pudding and a cherry pie.

Then 3 guitars and family gig, brilliant. I haven't played and sung in ages.

A pukka birthday weekend. But spoiled by the news of 2 deaths, a young rugby player Danny Jones, died at London Skolars of a suspected heart condition, just 29 and leaves a wife and 5 month old twins. The the death if my deceased father in laws best friend Ken Jones in Wales.

Last edited:
Ha, it was a toughie, the homeward course had a lot of inclines , it was a case of "shut up legs". I busted my nads.

Been busy at home mowing 3 lawns and been to the dump.

Green

B. 1 wm toast, beans egg

L. Home made egg fried rice with peppers

D. Pasta, homemade tom sauce with some white wine, veg 1 roasted chicken thigh. 2 syns

Yoghurt, bran flakes, 2 syns,

Chic options, 2 syns.

French stick, 5 syns,

Brie, 5 syns

16 syns

My longest and toughest ride to date, 107 miles. Was dragged round by a racing snake neighbour. Think I've burned some calories in the last 10 days...

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/303755508/embed/44d0e055f79b1c32afc5691c0556f259caddda57'></iframe>

Last edited:
Been on green so far this week in an attempt to fuel up for today's ride. It was tough , 122 miles, my longest toughest ride to date.

B, egg and beans on toast, forced down at 0700

L. 2 poached eggs, 2 grilled bacon, 1.5 grilled toms, beans 2 slices toast brown with butter, 1 piece carrot cake at cafe in Sandwich at 60 miles, 2 pots tea

1 soft bake bar, 3 sports gels and 3 bottles of electrolyte hi five mix.

D. So far, 1 litre choc milk.

I'm absolutely done in. My neighbour is a 10 stone racing snake. I'm not.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/308316747/embed/779b6f288003b377ac593def14f405df75a3b470'></iframe>

Hi happyholidays, these long rides are always made up of highs and lows. Last week I was absolutely emptied on the outward leg, so much so that I really wondered how I was going to compete the ride. We didn't stop at a cafe until 60 miles. It was warm last week, I drank my 750ml sports drink during that leg and had 1 energy gel. Not enough, plus, with all the elevation and hills , my back was extremely painful. At 50 miles I had to get off at a junction and stretch. My degenerative discs were causing nerve pain in to my glute, quad, down my thigh , back of my calf and into my groin. A2 minute St.op really helped. I was at a point where the pain was debilitating. Getting to the cafe , starving and knackered was a god send. 2 poached eggs, lean grilled bacon, beans toms and 2 toast plus cake hardly touched the sides but hit the spot. That gave me enough energy to make the first long ride home. That homeward leg was tough but I made better progress and the average speed went up from 15.7 mph to 16.1. I went to work the next day not feeling any affects!

Today's effort was tougher. We went out at higher pace, most if it was over 17mph. Then my neighbour missed some turns, so we detoured, longer and some harder climbing, short sharp painful climbs instead of the long drags. In this ride I filled up better, more gels, better breakfast before I left home. This meant that I got to the cafe stop in better shape, but my back was screaming. The home ward leg today was just sheer torture. Back hurting every 15-20 miles, we had a choice if going tough hills in the North Downs if lower land but longer. My neighbour plumed for longer. This ride had a very long low episode. The sign posts never mentioned anywhere near home for eons, the scenery was beautiful the cycling brutal. Kent chalk streams, country estates, hidden idyllic farms and pastures, stunning. The pain took the beauty away, when I got a puncture I was so relieved. However, getting off my bike left me in agony for about 3 minutes until I straightened up. Puncture fixed and we pressed on. I ran out of drink,p so we stopped at at roadside motorbikers cafe before they shut shop. More drinks and off again,still no signs for local villages. We were heading for the southern coastline this time. The villages on the posts confirmed that this was going to be the longest ride I had ever done. At 90 miles we were still nearly 30 miles from home.
More pain, more sings going round my head, more positive thinking that this will help to make the Alp D'Huez climb easier. My neighbour is a proper cyclist, only weighing 10 St and he was chewing up,the miles, but ride just in front of me ( gave me his wheel) so that I could get the benefit of slip his stream. Those last 30 miles were the hardest physically and mentally. Another stretch off the bike with 10 to go and it all started to feel better. Out of the low and back into a high. 3 miles to go and said that we should add a loop in to break the 120w. It ended well. I do feel sore.

It's usually tough, I think it never gets easier when you want to improve, you just get the ability to ride faster, harder. It gives you a great appreciation of how fit and tough the Tour riders are and anyone who makes a living out of it. There are quotes from top riders that say tours are like wresting with a gorilla, you can't stop unless the gorilla stops. Another one said that after 3 or 4 stages of TDF you get up feeling like you've got flu but still have to ride the next stages... Sod that, there must be easier ways to earn a living.
It's not all as painful as the last couple of big rides I've done, I'm very pleased to have come in first on the last 3 Saturday/Sunday club rides. A mark of improvement.

I will definitely take an easier ride or 2 this weekend.

Weighed in this morning just into 12'9.

Green

B. Porridge, bran flakes sultanas yoghurt

L. Tin spag, 3 Quorn sausages, cottage cheese, brown sauce

D, Quorn lamb steak, new pots, veg

Slice of homemade steak pie, loads of milk.

Back