quitting ciggies and dieting together?!

fortyandfat

is crazy
is it a good or bad idea to give up smoking while trying to diet at the same time?
i am doing fantastic on the slim fast diet and i feel so motivated that i would like to try and give up the ciggies. i have ordered one of those electronic ciggie things that you actuly exhale smoke with. expensive yes but would work out cheeper in the long run.
i generaly smoke around 25 roll ups a day!! its an awful lot and the money could be going elsewhere and i would be doing my body a great favour!
but is it doable when trying to lose weight at the same time????? what do you think? :)

It is entirely doable. It used to be that dealing with one issue at a time was considered to be the most sensible and practical option, but research recently has indicated that the more change the person undergoes, the easier they find it to cope with additional changes, and the more responsive they are to those changes.

So it is definitely worth a go if you are feeling in the right frame of mind!

thankyou. that sounds encouraging! still waiting for the nicotine replacement stuff to come but when it does im straight on it! :D

I think it's definitely doable to really worthwhile-I've not had a ciggy for a month now and the physical benefits I feel are staggering-I feel so much better now. I've been running for a few years but the difference in running now and before is incredible. And because I feel more healthy, I feel really motivated about eating healthy foods as well.

All the best of luck, and if I can do it anyone can! :)

i also quit smoking and watched my diet, everytime i had tried to give up smoking i had put weight on and gone back to it.

i did it with patches,took 12 weeks to get off them completely.i joined a gym and lost 11.5 lbs and two dress sizes that year but like i said i wasn't trying to lose it as such, just not put any on. the following year i lost 4.5 stone.

i had a nibble box with which i filled with bitesize pieces of fruit etc and cut out caffeine because it can make the cravings worse.
good luck giving up, if your determined you'll do it.

im doing the double too!! day two of diet and day 1 of non smoking, i have the little puffer thing, but its not nice to nibble on!!

I gave up smoking 3 weeks ago and started slimming world 2 weeks ago. So far - so good have lost 4lbs and am not craving ciggies anymore. :)

I've always been a smoker more by habit than anything and today was my first morning back at work since giving up.

It was very strange seeing my pals going out at break but I stayed strong. I'm not yet ready to go out and join them as a non-smoker but soon I will. Plus the weather was rubbish!!

Day 4 not smoking for me, using Champix. However my weight is going in the wrong direction!

Please please please be careful with that drug, I started using that when it very first came out and I experienced severe mood swings, was incredibly irritable and experienced uncharatersistic bouts of anger.
When I was on an online forum for smoking cessation support I saw reference to other users in america having similar issues and so I went back to my doctor, he said I was talking nonsense and advised me to continue the course, I stopped that day and things went back to normal over the next 3 days.

I'm not saying that this will happen to you, but you should be aware, in the US Champix (Chantix) now carries the following warning on the box:

“...patients who are attempting to quit smoking with Chantix should be observed for serious neuropsychiatric symptoms, including changes in behaviour, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal ideation and suicidal behaviour.”

Good luck with quitting!

I'm being carefully monitored one to one with the nurse and no suicidal thoughts, just the occasional murderous ones :)
Day 15 and no longer thinking about smoking 24/7. I'm still getting the nausea and slight diziness but it doesn't last long. Any of these strange symptoms will go once I finish the course and it's only 12 weeks out of the rest of my life which I may add onto the end of my life by not smoking anyway.

Well done you :)

I quit smoking 3 days ago and am starting Weight Watchers next week.

I think, for me, its best to get started on both at the same time because I would rather get the 'suffering' over all at once than do one after the other !!

I've gained 3lbs and £114! Day 19 and going strong. Well done to all of us. I'm going to the cinema tomorrow and looking forwards to it. I used to dread having to spend those 2 hours without a fag!

Hi Everyone. i have been a smoker for over 30 years (started when i was 11) To be honest i enjoyed a cig and wasn't too bothered about giving up, eventhough i have asthma and get out of breath easily!
I started the lipotrim diet 8 days ago, on day 3 of the diet, the taste and smell of the cig knocked me sick. I don't know if its something to do with the diet but its done me a huge favour . I saving at least £45 a week and the energy i have is amazing . My advise would be ,if you can do both at the same time then Do .
Well done to you all and keep up the good work & don't forget to treat yourself to something nice with the money you're saving!! :)

Hi, I gave up smoking 16 months ago after I had smoked for over 40 years, I started smoking when I was just 7, I had 4 older brothers who made me smoke to make sure i wouldn't tell on them lol and by the time I was 11 I was smoking over 20 cigs a day. When I gave up I was on 50+ cigs a day and only went along to the non smoking clinic with my husband to keep him company, but after reading all their leaflets and meeting the wonderful consultant, who was an angel in disguise, I decided then and there that I wasn't going to put myself through the bronchitis that I had had for the previous 8 years that often lasted from October right through to March or April and I too went onto the Champix tablets. I lasted just over 2 weeks on the tablets as the side effects were horrendous but I continued on my non smoking adventure and can now say I have been totally smoke free since 19th march 2010. I also started to lose weight in 2008 as I had reached the astounding weight of 31st 7lb, and while I admit that the non smoking did stop my weight loss for a short time, I found that as soon as I joined Slimming World (I had previously lost 6+ stone on my own), my weight stated to drop off again and I have subsequently lost another 3 and a half stone , I have just 3lb to lose before reaching my 10 stone weight loss. I have never felt better and fitter in my entire life, than since I quit smoking and got my weight loss under control (with 9 stone still to lose many would say I haven't yet got it under control but I would say to them oh yes I have no more weight or cigarettes for me and that is definite), I realised late in life but not too late thankfully, that if you want to do it you can, it's all up to you to decide how much you want to stop smoking or lose weight.
Sorry for rambling on but I am after 40 years of trying to quit smoking and losing weight, now achieving both and if I can do it then anyone can.
Good luck everyone
Lily xx

Back