Ruth's GI Diary

Plum, I'm inclined to agree. I just avoid foods I used to love and am loving finding new and exciting foods that won't pile on the pounds. I think winning the battle with weight depends on just that. Yes, there are some recipes that can be adapted and still taste good but for many it's better to get used to doing without!!

I agree Molly and Plum- better off having a small amount of the real deal than fobbing yourself off with a fake copy :)

Yesterday:
Brekkie- 3 oatcakes- one with chive light philly, two with reduced fat peanut butter

Lunch- scrambled eggs (2 yolks, 3 whites, skim milk, herbs and spices) plus boston baked beans and spinach salad.

Snack- NF yoghurt, satsuma

Dinner- went out for dinner then to the cinema. Had tandoori fish fillet with dahl, basmati rice and 1 x wholemeal roti. Plus 1 x light beer. Very GI friendly, but quite a large meal!

Snack- satsuma

Today:
Brekkie- half a bowl of porridge (didn't have time to finish it)

Snack- satsuma, fruit strip, grain and nut bar, 2 squares of coconut shred dairy milk, 3 jelly sweets.

Lunch- healthy tinned pasta-free minestrone soup.
1 x (smallish) slice of carrot cake- whoops!:eek: It was sat in the staffroom literally with a sign on it saying "please eat me" and I just couldn't resist...

Snack- 1 x wafer cracker with brie. 1 x oatcake with peanut butter

Dinner- bolognaise made with loads of veggies, with egg tagliatelle and mangetout and mixed leaf salad

Too much snacking today! Will endeavor to snack less tomorrow.

Mm Ruth foodie looks tasty! Do you make your own boston baked beans (if so how?) or buy them? (sorry I always seem to be asking you this question! stop having such interesting food and I'll stop ;) )

That's OK Plum :). I made them from scratch- I loosely followed a recipe I posted a link for in my diary from about 2 months ago. You'll see it if you head back.

Here is the link- I figured trawling through months of diary entries to find it wouldn't be much fun !
Homemade Baked Beans Recipe - Taste.com.au
I used mainly navy beans (same ones as in Heinz baked beans) with a few added soy beans (v low GI), doubled the recipe to make an epic potful, used smoked bacon bones instead of the hock, and put it covered in the oven at around 170C for 1 hour in the last step instead of finishing the cooking on the hob.

Aw thank you Ruth for trawling on my behalf. Those look really tasty and I love the idea of making an epic potful! I might try them in the slow cooker. :)

Ohhh your food looks yummy! I say carrot cake is better than cheese cake, or chocolate cake, or a whole bunch of other things :)

Those beans look delicious. Do I have to put in maple syrup or will it not taste the same without it?

Ashie- yes you HAVE to use the maple syrup (although I guess you could you honey instead. I know it was traditionally made with molasses); it taste really odd without as it's needed to balance to worcester sauce and mustard. It's a small amount for the overall size of the dish and the GI of maple syrup is only 54 or GL10.

Brekkie- grain/nut bar

Snack- fruit strip, 2 x no sugar sweets, handful of mixed nuts/roasted chickpeas/goji berries

Lunch- canned healthy minestrone soup. Half a glass of milk (gobbled soup as v busy at work, then got indigestion - serves me right!)

Dinner- roast chicken breast, steamed veggies

Snack- small piece of brie, 1 x oatcake with peanut butter. Small tub of LF frozen yoghurt, satsuma.

Invited to a big BBQ over at a friends' for their joint bday tomorrow. We are going to make up some things to take over- maybe chicken skewers, falafels and hummus ?any other ideas ladies. I know I'll end up overeating at the BBQ (especially with booze involved!), but at least it can be healthy lowGI overeating ;)

Food sounded good! I hope your tummy is feeling better now. I hate when indigestion hits >_<

The chicken skewers, falafel and hummus sounds wonderful! I'm sure it'll be a big hit at the BBQ, and you can even tell people that it's healthy and low GL foods. It'll probably shock them that they ate something healthy :)

Ooh I hate indigestion, hope it has passed now.

BBQ sounds like fun and your ideas sound great! If you want to add anything else, maybe a quinoa salad or baba ganoush or something? And I will take any excuse to make tzatziki! Gives you something to have with your chicken etc when everyone else is dolloping on higher calorie/sugar sauces. Enjoy and have fun! :D

thanks for the suggestions ladies :). OH got up quite early this am, and had been and got everything from the shop whilst I was still asleep- so we have chicken, peppers and onion for skewers which are marinating at the moment in a spicy chilean and light sour cream marinade, and readymade falafels. I was thinking we would homemake them, but by 'we' I really meant hubby, as I'm studying all morning, and I guess he didn't want to spend the morning cooking on his own :). I checked the packet though and they are low in cals and fat and have no sugar :D. I know some store-bought falafels have loads of fat in them so I was pretty pleased with these ones :D. OH also got some wholemeal pita breads to take, so I have an alternative to white hamburger buns etc
He also woke me up with breakfast in bed which was very sweet :)- baked beans (heinz, not Boston for a change!), a poached egg and 2 x small slices of white bread. I think he'd forgotten about the need for grainy bread, but I didn't say anything and just ate it- no point making a fuss about little things when he'd gone to the effort making it for me as a special treat.

Late morning: 1 x oatcake with peanut butter and a satsuma

Not going to bother with lunch, as we'll be at the BBQ at about 3pm, and I'm sure there will plenty of eating and drinking this afternoon!

The BBQ food sounds like it will be great! Good find with the felafels too. Or Delacruz as my phone desperately wants to auto-complete. (???)

How sweet to get breakfast in bed! Hope you had a super time at the BBQ! :D

Awwwww so sweet of your guy to go to the store and get those things for you :) Really cool with bringing you breakfast too. Awwwwwwww LOVE! You two are so cute!

The food for the BBQ sounds really great, I know where I'm going if I am ever in Australia :)

Well I had a great time at the BBQ party, but my diet had a downright miserable time...!
Rest of food for yesterday :
good few slices of turkish bread with hummus
couple of crackers with brie
3 or 4 homemade jam biscuits
1 sausage
2 chicken skewers,
half a wholemeal pita bread
2 large helpings of potato and egg salad
5 bottles of light beer
few more slices of turkish bread and hummus
2 x delish cupcakes
4 bottles of full-strength beer
couple more sausages
and a couple of glasses of water and a glass of milk to soak up all the excess booze before bed !

O dear :D. I felt sooo bloated when we got home. I'd worn these high-waisted skinny jeans that only just fit when I put them on, so when I'd drunkenly managed to prise myself out of them I had the seam and button lines marked all over my skin :D lmao !

Was strangely feeling a bit lethargic and pathetic this morning....
And porridge just wasn't going to cut it...
So I've been trying to stay *reasonably* on track today, but I couldn't face being super strict, even though I could do with it after yesterdays debaucle :D

Very late brekkie- beans and LF cheese on 1 slice grainy bread. 1 slice grainy bread with peanut butter

Snack- 1 slice grainy bread with peanut butter, muslei nut bar, tub of LF yoghurt.

Dinner will be beany chilli con carne quesedillos (stoneground wholemeal tortilla) with a small portion of rice/barley mix and LF cheese on top.

It's hard being really good when out or at someone's place. But at least you ate humms and chicken skewers :) Today's food looks good:)

I know what you mean about feeling bloated, yesterday I sinned too and had cakes, and boy oh boy, was my tummy feeling like it was going to burst and have an alien pop out and run around the room (like in Aliens movie). Though I have to say "OMG, you're so lucky you fit in skinny jeans!" Congratulations on the skinny jeans! That's a total + 100 points in wearing skinny jeans :)

Mmm the BBQ sounds delicious! And I think that an off-plan day every now and again keeps our metabolism on its toes. In fact I read an article that suggested having an off-plan few days every six weeks or so to keep it from slumping too low so I think the BBQ will have been positively beneficial in the long run! :D

And it sounds like your 'morning after' breakfast was pretty healthy (certainly compared to some of the things I've been known to eat in similar circumstances) and what was needed!

(I agree with Cali, :bliss: for skinny jeans!)

I've got long skinny legs from mid-thigh down, so skinny jeans look pretty ok from that point of view. However, upper thighs/bum/tum are a different matter entirely- hence the high-waisted-ness to stop the dreaded muffin top, and a floaty long top on top of that : )

Had a sneak-peek weight in this morning and it was not pretty, in fact it was a bit R-rated horror movie...
Will need to be super strict over next couple of days

Ohhh so lucky! I want your legs.

Is your weigh in Wed or Thursday? I too feel your pain. I will be much stricter on my diet this week and forward. If my friend brings a present of sweets, I will only take half or less, to be nice. But not eat a whole thing.

My weigh in day's a bit variable depnding on how well things are going ;) - it should be wednesday this week, but after the B-movie gore on the scales I'll leave it til thursday morning and see how it goes :)

Back