Sander's Dukan Diary

- the plateau started when I fell off the wagon on holiday and its been a slow slog since then :) Part of that is that my self-discipline started wavering constantly, not just the bio-chemical process of the diet. !
Exactly my experience, and I also have 12 lbs to go! How silly to be so unfocused for the last stretch. I note what Jo said about it being easier to stay in ketosis, that's certainly a factor. Oh well, we must keep going.

Hey Topaz! Yup - I decided to do Conso over the holiday and then switching back into cruise has been a challenge - I have done it and I think I am in ketosis (my breath does at least) - that's one of the reason why I am not moving to conso again - I think it was a bad decision on my part - although if you read my diary at that time I was oh so pleased with myself :)

Then getting sick for almost 2 months really wore me out. Now I'm having woman problems - can I be going into menopause at 43.999 (birthday on Sunday)? Or maybe I am surprisingly preggers? (my tubes are tied, but I have known other women who have had them regrow). I don't know.... Probably time to brave the lady doctors office, but I wanted to get down that last 12 pounds before going in for my physical! She's the one that gave me the lecture last year about my weight and health. That along with a picture that surprised the heck out of me made me decide to do Dukan and give on final push to lose the weight while I was still young enough to enjoy it!

Hello there Sanders - many find their cycle "changes" after/during a substantial weight loss, so it could just be that. Happy birthday for Saturday (cos at my advanced age, I'm likely to forget nearer the time!)

Hi Jo! Thanks for stopping by! My cycle has been changing this year - and I have been associating it with the weight loss and diet changes - but the older ladies in the family all are of the opinion that I am "starting the change" - I complained to my mom, she called her sisters and they all chatted about my cycle - so lovely. We'll see - but the problems resolved for this month and I lost 4 pounds :) I'll just keep track of all the changes and when I go in for physical in February I'll probably get the whole set of blood work done up anyways that will tell me where my body is at :) Thanks for the birthday wishes - I'm pretty happy to be at my lowest weight since 1993 on my birthday. I've even gotten lower than where the fancy lifestyle modification program got me - just by following the book and chatting with you all on this forum to keep me from going off the rails completely when I feel like giving up! I am thankful to all of you!!!

Happy Birthday Sander, hope you have a lovely one. I think you are being sensible re your "changes" - keep a record and mention it in Feb. I'm doing this at the minute as my cycle is definitely different to what it always has been before! Also, I think you should be immensely proud of the fact you are at your lowest weight since 1993, that is a huge achievement. :birthday:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - I navigated the day pretty well. We went out for dinner and I had a glass of red wine, a green salad, a tenderloin kebab and a half acorn squash plain-steamed with the butter and sugar on the side so I could just have a small taste. My son got filet mignon and crab legs! Hubbie went with butterflied porkchops. The restaurant was very nice, lots of clean lean proteins without sauces, freshly sourced, good service, and a beautiful atmosphere. One of the changes since the diet is that I am much more interested in the other aspects of eating out, is it a fun experience all together, not just is the food good... I could probably have prepared an equivalent meal (except for the crab legs, I don't cook seafood), but I wanted the good service and pleasant atmosphere and the leisure of not having to do the preparations myself where I could be assured that the food was high quality and freshly prepared, not just tasty and plentiful!

All those lovely people that bought me plates of Christmas cookies..... Sigh. They are sitting on my table, getting stale, not getting eaten. I am the cookie lover of the family. Cookies are my strongest temptation (the item that I am weakest resisting), especially when there is a variety of homemade goodies that I haven't tried - My curiosity is rampant -- what is her recipe, which grandma did it come down for, is her family Scandinavian, Irish, English, Italian, Swedish, French, Turkish, Greek - what influences are present, how did the spices combine, what are the textures like... I am so curious and the treats are so small. And each day that goes by with the cookies uneaten they look so neglected, forlorn, and sad. All that effort to make them going unappreciated.... And what about if run into the friends who gave them to me and they ask me which one was my favorite, how will I answer? Why won't the guys eat the cookies? (Because they prefer cobbler, which we made and just finally was finished off by my son yesterday) But they could eat cookies and cobbler, plus maybe some of the nuts and candy that were also dropped off. But no - I've done too good a job teaching balanced eating, so they are not just gnoshing on sweet treats, they are having a single serving of their favorite and then eating proteins and veggies without a carb side dish.

My Fitness Pal - tracking a PP day

So I decided to sign up for MyFitnessPal and see how my days looked - here is the first one. I have one naughty item that I have on a PP day that I haven't admitted to on this forum before, but it hasn't hurt my progress yet. I need a cup of cocoa to get me through the afternoon:eek:

Breakfast
  • Oat bran - Raw, 30 g
  • Fage Greek Yogurt 0% - Greek Yogurt, 22.7 g
  • Egg - Small, 1 egg

Lunch
  • Fish - Salmon, chinook, smoked, (lox), regular, 3 oz
  • Whole Soy & Co. - Unsweetened Plain Yogurt, 1 Cup
  • Generic - Splenda 2 Tsp, 4 tsp
  • Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp
  • Generic - Vanilla Essence, 4 g
  • Egg - Small, 2 egg

Dinner
  • Beef - Sirloin Tip Roast, 8 oz
  • Generic - Fresh Cocktail Shrimp , 8 large shrimp
  • Jell-O - Sugar Free Strawberry Jello, 1 cup

Snacks
  • Swiss Miss- Sensible Sweets - Diet - 25 Calories Hot Cocoa Mix, 1 package
  • Boar's Head - Extra Lean Roast Beef, 2 oz.
Totals
  • Calories = 1,011
  • Carbs = 40
  • Fat = 40
  • Protein = 132

I used to enjoy plugging my menus into MFP and it doesn't take long once you've fed your menus in for people like me who repeat things each week! I never managed to produce such a good print out though! Looking at your menu, I'm surprised the calories are so "high". Just 3oz salmon? That must be tiny! I always have a huge piece 180-200g ooops!

Have a Merry Christmas :D

Hi Jo! I was surprised at the numbers they came up with as well, but I felt over stuffed at the end of the day :) My smoked salmon comes in 6 oz fillets and I cut it in half and use one half for lunch one day and the other half I cut in half again and use for snacks over the next two days. Then I take a couple days off - I worry about the salt content in the salmon, but it feels like such a luxury that I figure I can use it as long as I am staying on track.

RE: the print out - hah - I struggled with that for about 20 minutes trying to get the table to just come over straight from MFP - I wanted to include all of the columns for each item - but I just couldn't get it to render correctly here - it took too many characters to get all the HTML in to make a pretty table, so I finally just went with the main column and then reformatted the HTML in the edit box to make bulleted lists.

Interesting to see the MFP. I think I might get some fat reduced cocoa in the new year to help me on really tough TOTM days. Very hard to find here though. Have a good Christmas and keep resisting the cookies!:dancing_snowman:

Not a bad day yesterday - I was super hungry for a while and didn't want to eat my veggies. But after about 2 hours of grumping around feeling hungry I finally gave in and had the veggies and felt a whole lot better. It was really quite funny. I was sure I didn't want them, but as soon as I had them Ifelt so much more calm and in control. I guess my learning from that is that I should eat what I plan for the day and not listen to whatever craving are rolling around inside my head.
I did have one cookie:break_diet: that I baked before eating the veggies, and that 1 cookie made me feel like eating the whole two dozen which was why I finally decided to just eat my cauliflower and and broccolli if I was so darn hungry :eat:
That worked, I no longer wanted two dozen cookies.
Weigh in day today - down 1 pound :cool:

TMI - Body image

OK - so I am happy at how I look in my clothes, not so much out of them. The one body part that had stayed bragworthy over the years of weight gain has officially deflated :giggle:

After I joked about needing some "cosmetic repair work" Hubby says if I want to go ahead and spend $$ and get them fixed up along with a few nips and tucks where my skin is pretty saggy from the weight loss I should go for it, but that he thinks I look great the way I am :p

I said wait until I get to goal and have finished conso and I'l consider it if I'm still unhappy. I really hope that exercise and continued good healthy eating will tone up the floppiness. Am I realistic, or should I work on adjusting my expectations or should I just take him up on the fixup and not go through a year of being overly self-conscious about it?

I think you should get to the weight you truly want to be and then have the stuff done as an extra and a big well-done to yourself, you'll feel even more proud of what you have achieved and will look truly amazing.

Oops, forgot to say - can I have the Russian Tea Cake recipe please? I love Russian food and even though I can't have them I know the rest of the family would wolf them down! If your hubby says yours are better than his Mum's you know they must be really good ;)

Back to work after the holidays. Had a lovely couple of days, but did have an extra glass of wine and a piece of bread. Weight wise I am still the same, so I think I am ok.

Getting ready to go away for the New Year's holiday. Hoping to have a lot of fun! Finally I don't find the prospect of dinners and celebrations scary anymore - I just know what to eat and if I make a choice that I shouldn't have I accept the consequences and get back on with eating the foods that are good for me. Not a big deal ;)

Exercising regularly is still difficult, but I will keep trying with the same approach - give it my best shot every day, but don't beat myself up about it.

Could it be that I am learning to balance?

Read an article about how futile it is to try and lose weight because most people gain it back unless they become super vigilant self-monitors. I hope that will not be my experience. I don't feel like I am super vigilant, but I do keep track of my eating and behaviors and weigh in regularly. It doesn't feel like OCD type behaviors, it just seems rational - I had/have a problem self-regulating my food - I need to control that to keep myself healthy.

Back