Sausage on a mission - veggie green days diary

Aaww that's lovely Rozieeee :D x

I have been a bit absent lately as I have been filling my boots and piling on the pounds. Back to business today with a 1 pound loss.

I am not going to be keeping a food diary this year. I have been immersing myself lately in the MSE forums and am now sufficiently brainwashed to start today as an old style thrifty year. I am sadly quite excited by it all :eek: Being clever with food and leftovers, scratch cooking, batching, preserving, growing, stockpiling, whoopsying etc. I don't think that would lend itself to an interesting food diary and I may feel embarrassed reporting that I am eating the same thing for days on end or a marrow stuffed with dandelions LOL

So roll on my thrifty housekeeping diary instead. It is pink. I will still be lurking on other diaries here and posting on the dinner, photo, wi threads etc so I am still here, but being obsessive about something else for a wee change :D

Sausage, you just described my diary lol, I have no shame. I do tend to get stuck in habits and to be honest I'm surviving on the diet by eating what I want. Sometimes I can be an incredibly lazy cook and not as experimental as I should be....but I have littlies to feed and if they are having something different to me then often it's easier to just have a jacket with quorn spag bol and cheese in it.

I like your thrifty idea. Please keep posting, I love your ideas and recipes.

Oh and Happy New Year!

Happy new year to you too, Miss Slinky Cake :D x I forgot to mention that when I posted on your thread a moment ago. I just posted something cheeky then ran away :eek: hehe

Back to smelly work tomorrow. At least it means I will be back in a routine. The plan is a bit loose at the moment :rolleyes: and I am having problems knitting my new thrifty head on to my SW body. For example, it would be unthrifty to bin the Christmas sweeties, but not very SW to eat them. I guess it will sort itself out with a bit of practise.

Today I had brunch of a homemade wholemeal roll topped with peppery goats cheese and tomato.

Dinner was quorn family roast with bisto gravy, roast potatoes and parsnips and boiled sprouts and peas.

Loving the new actifry...just bung in the spuds and parsnips and they come out perfectly! Great for burgers, bangers, mushrooms and chips too. Having fun experimenting :D

For snacks today...more sweeties :rolleyes:

Ooh Sausage, you and your gadgets! I'd never even heard of an actifry before I used this site but everyone seems to have one. I'm going to have to go and read the thread about them now. Is this the thing you put a teaspoon of oil into and it makes perfect chips?

Your new thrifty existence sounds challenging but please don't abandon your diary completely :cry:. You may think you're boring but you're still a million times more interesting than me and give me some good ideas.

Good luck with the sweets / thrifty dilemma, tis indeed a toughie. Can't somebody else in your house eat the chocs or can you invite an unsuspecting friend round to off load them on to? Take them into (smelly) work maybe?

BTW - what in the world is 'whoopsying'?! I'm obviously totally unthrifty as I have no clue ...

Hey Beeg!

Yep, 1 tsp of oil and the chips taste like chippy chips, but without the grease.

I may have to post my diary for a while yet so I can get back into the swing of things. I am really struggling at the moment :confused:

"Whoopsying" comes from the Latin whoopsare and means "to buy cheap food in Asda that has a big yellow sticker on it." Probably. Good way of making cheapo soup for the freezer.

Oh Sausage I'm doing similar with the SW plus extra thriftyness. I love MSE too, although I just lurk on the forums. We've set ourself a loose target of a certain spend per week but I'm also trying to only buy yellow sticker (whoopsie) items :) Last week we had 2p pints of milk, 3p sweedes, 10p parsnips etc and it was fab..... all for just shopping at the right time :) It is hard to marry the two together though, although tis not impossible..... hubby brought home 2 pints of full fat milk for free just before christmas and I would usually instantly say 'No way' but then changed my attitute to 'yes way, I'll just have less!'. Good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on you :D

"Whoopsying" comes from the Latin whoopsare

kudos for whoopsare :D

People here think I'm a nerd because I like etymology when actually I'm a nerd for many other reasons :rotflmao:

I have thrifty leanings at the moment for obvious financial reasons but I want to be thriftier.... I don't know how though - wahhhhhhhhhhhh!

I wish they had "whoopsy" stickers here. Now I have something new to add to my "I miss" list :rolleyes: :D

Gobolino - Great bargains there! We don't have an Asda, but I have changed from Sainsburys to Aldi and can't believe the difference in prices. I guess it helps too that Aldi is a bit crap, tbh, so I am not able fill my trolley with exotic goodies. Great for staples for scratch cooking though which is the SW way :D Also Farmdoods and Iceland are local and good for quorn. Our other shop is a Co-op which is very expensive, but has whoopsy veg sometimes. I saw a troll on a yellow sticker thread on mse yesterday. Eh?? If it is good for the consumer, the retailer and the planet, then it should be applauded!! :clap:

Hey Moz. Happy new year, m'dear! x :D It is hard to know what to suggest when you live in a land where bananas are dearer than Fabergé eggs. Do you bulk out your one pot wonders with cheapo baked beans and grated carrots? And always make too much so you can bung some in the freezer for a rainy day.

Sausage, I want an actifry! *jealous*. I think I need a family sized one which is a tad more expensive hence my delay in indulging that addition onto my shopping list. I'll have to sneak it in one day and pretend I didn't see the bill hehe!

I love whoops! Christmas week tesco was full of whoops style food, charlotte potatoes and pineapples 10p each, I was in my element lol! Pineapples anyone lol!

Hey Moz. Happy new year, m'dear! x :D It is hard to know what to suggest when you live in a land where bananas are dearer than Fabergé eggs. Do you bulk out your one pot wonders with cheapo baked beans and grated carrots? And always make too much so you can bung some in the freezer for a rainy day.

Bananas interestingly enough have plummeted in price recently and are now down to $1.99 a kilo (about 1 pound 50p) from about $13 or so. So that's a bit more like it, bananas can now return to our menu! Baked beans aren't as cheap here as in UK either and aren't "free", not sure about syns but can't be that bad so I tend to try to forget about they syns :rotflmao:

Beans are syn free on green and EE and are also superspeedy (but not super free, I think). Well I hope so anyway as I add them to everything! lol Good news about the nanas! :bananalove:

Apparently australian beans, including Heinz British Recipe beans are not free... it might be because they are upside-down in which case I highly recommend that everyone goes through their cupboards ensuring that the cans are the right way up. By the same token, perhaps if I turn all my cans up the other way, they'll be free again ... I believe it to be true now that I've seen the possibility in writing! yayyyyy australian beans are now free!

Stick at it with the yellow sticker hunting Sausage. I must admit I do love aldi for some bargains too and talking of beans, have you tried aldi's own..... I'm converted to them, they are lovely and so cheap :D

Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

I don't think SW has any jurisdiction over Aussie beans as they don't operate over there therefore they must be free! :D

Gobolino - I am a bit of a baby when it comes to beans :eek: and can only eat Heinz on toast or with breakfast. Just got 8 tins for £3 in Iceland. I buy Aldi and C&B beans also and use them in ratatouilles etc for bulk and fibre....so much herbs and spices that I can't tell they are not Heinz and they are much cheaper.

I'm a covert to Aldi's decaf coffee - it is really nice - and am mad for the huge punnets of mushrooms for £1.29 :clap: Hope you are having a good week and are finding loads of healthy bargains.

that's a very good point about sw's lack of jurisdiction in australia. If however, it subsequently turns out that beans are still not free, then I believe that we should campaign to set the aussie beans free - FREE THE BEANZ! Let them go, let them run wild and free.... they aren't meant to syn, THE BEANZ are INNOCENT!

I'm hungry. Not Bean o'clock yet though, so cereal will have to do! i might even weigh it today and depress myself :rotflmao:

Oh no!! :eek: I just did a search to see where this idea of synful Aussie beans comes from. Found a thread from here on which people were talking about synful Aussie beans then went on to say that UK Aldi beans had syns too :eek:

Do you think if I bleach my brain and do a system restore then that information will no longer exist??

PS - I think you get less crispies too because you are upsidedown so the gravity is different. Enjoy :p x

Oh no!! :eek: I just did a search to see where this idea of synful Aussie beans comes from. Found a thread from here on which people were talking about synful Aussie beans then went on to say that UK Aldi beans had syns too :eek:

Do you think if I bleach my brain and do a system restore then that information will no longer exist??

PS - I think you get less crispies too because you are upsidedown so the gravity is different. Enjoy :p x

Well if the brain bleach and system restore don't work, then just chant the mantra "Aldi beans, syn free on a sausage day". Besides, I have it on good authority (mine) that if two people on opposite sides of the world believe the same thing then it can be true!

Oh and I did weigh my cereal and it looked paltry so I put a bit more in and weighed that and it looked nearly enough. Besides I have no idea how much I should have, so I now reckon that I'm allowed 38g of cereal as a HexB. I do not wish to hear that I can have less, I suspect it should be 28g but I am convincing myself that it's 42g and so I'm having less than I should!

Another consideration that I am considering and indeed contemplating is, you know the phases of the moon affects the tides..... I believe it may also have some affect on syn values ... so at full moon, things have a lesser syn value! So provided you are prepared to howl at the moon, you could have an extra wee snifter or two! .... or perhaps the howling would be after the extra wee snifters :rotflmao:

I think I have much to think about!

Oh and I did weigh my cereal and it looked paltry so I put a bit more in and weighed that and it looked nearly enough.

:D this is how I feel everytime I look at the cereal allowance :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Sausage - I have looked up Aldi beans for you - are they called Corale Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce? If so, panic not, they're free.

Back