Shakenomore Diary

Hi, it's been a few days since I've managed to get on here. Things have been a bit hectic. Well I went for my Italian on Sat night and had a seafood starter and chicken pasta dish. It was delicious and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm as at my weigh in last night I was down nearly 4lb. I'm delighted with this and it has motivated me to work harder!

The class is still going well, last week she showed us how to make protein drinks, this week she talked about some of her favourite books - Holford, Juice Man, Food Doctor and also covered fluid retention (use dandelion tea or supplements) and bowel movements. Too much movement = too much sugar. Too little movement = not enough fibre and water. Phsyillium husks recommended for constipation. She also referred to The Chemical Maze and read out the extracts for Aspartame and Sachrin - not pleasant. She recommends always having a little of the real stuff (sugar, butter etc) rather than the artificial stuff. Also says the best spreadable butter to use (in Ireland) is Connaught Gold as this is real butter that has been air whipped.

Hopefully some tips here you might find useful!

Tonight I'm going to make chicken satay for lunch and I have the ingredients for an asian beef dish for tomorrow evenings dinner (both recipes from Holfords books).

Menu today:
B: Berry smoothie (homemade with whey protein)
L: chicken salad and homemade tomato soup
D: Bean stew with quinoa
S: muesli bar, yoghurt, walnuts

Lots of water and a 3 mile walk!

Good luck everyone.

Fab result. Go you, you little beauty! 4lbs down and a lovely meal to boot!! Don't you just love GL. It is so not like a diet at all!!!
Thanks for sharing the tips from the class. It all makes such sense. Good to know the effects of foods on our bowels. I take psyllium husk regularly for extra fibre. I take three capsules every day with a big glass of water.
One month in three I take holford's optimum nutrition supplements. I also take two chromium tablets every morning( Holford recommends these fir fat burning).
Your food plan is great. Good luck for the rest of the week.

Thanks everyone, I'm delighted to have done so well. It's been a good day today. I am tracking on myfitnesspal too which I think is helping me keep on track. GL is great but I do find it needs a lot planning but then all healthy eating ways really do. Chicken satay skewers with mango (I know it's not typically low GI but it's in holfords book so I thought I'd make a small one and try it) and rocket salad made for tomorrow's lunch.

Have 1/2 a left over avocado that I know will go off before I get to eat it so I'm going to make a nice face mask for myself with it!

Well yesterday was another good day although not all my choices were completely GI friendly (mango, rice noodles & 2 chocolate biscuits) but I did watch portions sizes so I'm confident I'm still on track.

B: Oatbran pancakes with blueberry syrup and natural yoghurt
L: Chicken satay skewers with mango and rocket salad
D: Thai beef with veg & rice noodles (sauce made from lemongrass, chilli, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and fish sauce)

S: dark chocolate, walnuts, neuro trim, tea, chicken leg

Didn't do as well on the water as normal - probably only 1.5 litres.

Walked for 3 miles and did 10 minutes on vibra plate!

Feeling so much better in myself as I finally feel I can shake this weight for good! This morning I found myself singing along to the radio in the car - it's been a while since I felt like that! I've also started reading a book by Dr Laroque called "Be Thin Through Motivation" and there are so many stories I can relate to! It will be my bedside reading for a while.

You are doing very well and staying very focussed. Initially, you need to plan a bit but soon it will become second nature to you. I used myfitnesspal a lot initially but now mostly just use it if I need to check something specific.
I keep in mind the principles:
The less processed the better.
Minimal White foods( flour, pasta, rice bread)
Eat other foods on plate first, then take a little of any White foods.
Veg should be mostly those that grow above the ground
Include more beans and lentils.
Keep portion sizes that bit smaller when trying to lose weight.
Think before opening the fridge door and sipping water first. Then ask myself am I still hungry.
Dr laroque is the guy behind the motivation weightloss clinics. His book should be a good read.

Thank Molly, some good tips there! GL just allows you to have such lovely food - just had a prawn, mango (very small amount) and rocket salad! Delicious. I am slowly learning my trigger points - I don't think wheat likes me as much as I like it and when I have a blow out it can be difficult to get back on target.

Next step -set my ticker!

Like you, through GL I have discovered wheat is not my best friend. I used to have a lot of irritable bowel and ulcer problems. I no longer have any symptoms unless I have a wheat fest!!! I'm also very lacking in energy when I eat too much wheat products.
Get that ticker set up. It will be lovely to see it moving in the right direction!

Well done shakenomore - u are doing brilliant, and your food sounds yum!!

Hi, it's really simple! Recipe below is for one person.

1 1/2 tablespoons of oat bran
1 1/2 tablespoon of 0% fat yoghurt (or I use low fat natural yoghurt)
1 egg

Beat all together and fry pancakes.

The syrup I made from a tablespoon of golden syrup and a tablespoon of blue berries - not exactly GI friendly I know but nice as a treat every once in a while.

shakenomore said:
Hi, it's really simple! Recipe below is for one person.

1 1/2 tablespoons of oat bran
1 1/2 tablespoon of 0% fat yoghurt (or I use low fat natural yoghurt)
1 egg

Beat all together and fry pancakes.

The syrup I made from a tablespoon of golden syrup and a tablespoon of blue berries - not exactly GI friendly I know but nice as a treat every once in a while.

That's a lovely recipe. You should copy it into the recipe thread I started. I went through all the old threads and gathered the recipes into one thread. We are all looking for new ones to keep us on track aren't we!!!!! Have a good day today.

Weekend was okish...I was out Saturday night and had some drinks but I did try to make up for it by drinking loads of water and being good on the food front.

Menu today:

B:Berry & 1/2 banana smoothie (homemade)
S: Carman Muesli Bar
L: Chicken & Bacon Salad with vinagerette dressing
S: Dark chocolate with nuts (Aldi)
D: 2 chicken kebabs & cup of veg soup

Weigh in tonight so a little nervous as I feel a bit bloated. Here's hoping the scales are kind to me. I will post any tips we get in class later.

Oooh! Good luck for weigh in.

Thanks! I had a great weigh in. I was down another 3lb so that is fantastic:p. I haven’t felt at all deprived, have had some great foods and feel a lot more energetic than before. The only thing I find is that you have to be very organised and that can be difficult sometimes when you are home late or rushing around.

It is a local class in Co Cavan run by a lovely nutritionist who believes the right way to lose weight is by balancing blood sugar levels. Each week she weighs us and gives a brief talk. There is not much time for one on one consultations but she does make herself available on the phone if we need her or we can stay back after class.
Her tips / talk this week based pretty much again on other areas she had covered before as some people had been missing from previous classes so she covered the benefits of porridge, bowel movements, importance of protein and water. I will post these on another thread so if other people want to add to it with their tips and tricks it will be easier.

Delighted for you hun. I really am beginning to think the same way, that its about keeping the blood sugars level. i know that I am not having any cravings now. Mental ones maybe, but not physical ones!!

Yay.
xx

Back