Extra Easy Slimming world newbie - advice and inspiration welcome!

Wednesday's Entry

I promise I will syn more tomorrow...I kinda ended up not really eating all that much today. Not through choice, just busy at work + friends came over after work...and the butternut squash I wanted to cook had gone a bit off so I had to chuck 1/3rd of it >.<;

Breakfast
Porridge made with water (Hexb)
Berries (speed)
Coffee w/ milk (1/2 syn)

Lunch
Boiled egg (free)
Couscous (free)
Cucumber (speed)
Beetroot (speed)
Mixed salad (speed)
Home made couscous (free - chickpeas, lemon juice)
1tbsp low fat dressing (1/2 syn)

Snack
Grapes (speed)
Tangerine (speed)

Dinner
Rice (free)
Butternut squash (speed)
Olive Oil spray (1/2 syn)
25g Goats cheese (hexa)
Pepper (speed)
Sweet potato (speed)
Garlic (free)
Onion (speed)

After dinner snack (Omg I was so hungry haha)
Brooklea greek style fat free yogurt (free)
Egg ("fried" without oil on non-stick pan)
Coffee with milk (1/2 syn)
Rice (free)

Total Syns: 5 (Hey look, I managed 5 :D)

Today I discovered if you eat only veg and carbs for dinner, you will be starving three hours later and have to cook fried eggs XD I've "officially" lost 6lbs since the 4th of Jan (we are doing a "biggest loser" thing at work), and my boyfriend, who is sort of following slimming world (because I cook dinner, so he has to eat it or make his own :p), has lost 10lbs! Crazy! Hopefully I will have lost more weight by my weigh in on Sat ^.^

One bad thing I did do today was skip exercise - but uuuurgh tired. I'll do double tomorrow (was meant to do yoga today, but I really could NOT be bothered, so tomorrow is 1.5 mile walk + yoga :)). Then running 3 miles on Friday :S

Thanks for all your advice above, I am def going to take it on board. Going on a motorbike outing on Saturday, so I'm sure when we stop for lunch I'll break into my syns - luckily weigh in for my group is Sat morning :D

Looking good chick..just a couple of little things FYI..grapes and sweet potato are free not speed and garlic (fresh) is speed not free. Like I said little but just incase so you know and as you are labeling each food thought you should know :)

For yesterday, since I totally forgot to put it in.

Breakfast
2 x Wheatabix (6 syns)
250ml semi skim milk (hexa)
Berries (speed)
Coffee

Lunch
2 slices brown bread (hexb)
Home made hummus (chickpeas & lemon) (speed)
Apple (speed)
Tangerine (speed)

Snack
Muller Light (free)

Dinner
Chicken korma, home made (Chicken breast (free), broccoli (speed), onion (speed), garlic (speed), chicken stock (free), various spices (free), non-fat yoghurt (free), 7 sprays of olive oil spray (1/2 syn))
Rice (free)

Total Syns: 6 1/2 syns

More syns today. And omg I just wanted bread so much haha. Obviously a carb-y day for me. I'm a bit sick of rice now though...might have a jacket potato for dinner ^.^

Hmmm bit disappointed - first weigh in this morning only lost 2lbs. And I've been very strict with myself on control and writing everything down :/ does anyone think this could perhaps be a case of my body hanging onto the weight and it will drop it suddenly? I feel thinner - my clothes fit better and my rings are falling off (had to switch them to my middle finger from ring finger).

Feeling a bit demotivated. Hey ho can't get good results in just a week I guess :)

I'll tell you now if someone said to me I could get a 2lb loss every week I'd jump at it!...lol..

I was over 16 stone and lost 3lb my first week. You need to remember that 1-2lb a week is a healthy loss. There are a dozen reasons why, where you are in your cycle can have an effect too. I know I mentioned it before, but you were kinda low on your syns, I know of lots of people who do better when they use more. You could be one of these that is a week behind, so you could see anther good loss next week. Remember, 2lb is a good loss! Don't forget also that you can loose inches as well as lbs! Did you measure yourself when you started? The most important thing is what you said here....

I feel thinner - my clothes fit better

That's a great plus!! You are being far too hard on yourself chick. It's a journey not race :) x

Thanks hun. Just feeling a bit meh coz I've seen the other "new starts" losing half a stone in one go :eek: but trying to remember that it is a long journey and it didn't all go on overnight

Gonna try and go heavier on syns this week (as a test - I do like doing experiments) and I ate a lot today. If that makes a difference yay more syns haha XD

I'm gonna measure myself tonight /tomorrow (I have an idea of my measurements anyway as I am into dressmaking) and track that too.

Thanks again :) def not giving up, just disappointed heh

Hmmm bit disappointed - first weigh in this morning only lost 2lbs. And I've been very strict with myself on control and writing everything down :/ does anyone think this could perhaps be a case of my body hanging onto the weight and it will drop it suddenly? I feel thinner - my clothes fit better and my rings are falling off (had to switch them to my middle finger from ring finger).

Feeling a bit demotivated. Hey ho can't get good results in just a week I guess :)
Murphtang, don't get demotivated, I'm only losing 2- 2.5 lbs a week too. I too see everyone else losing loads each week and, when I did SW last time, I lost like that too, so it can be disheartening but try to remember, each pound you lose is better for your body, it's coming off, be happy!

Right, I've been slacking on this...so you're gonna get Sat, Sun, Monday, and Tuesday all in one (I've been tracking on paper/my phone :p)

Sat
Breakfast
2 x hifi bars (hexb)

Lunch (went out of lunch...i had to splurge on the seafood chowder, we were right on the coast XD)
Seafood chowder (7 syns?! I had no idea, I matched it with sweetcorn and chicken soup from a Chinese restaurant to be on the safe side)
1 slice seeded bread (4.5 syns)
1 pat butter (3.5 syns)
Ham (free - I picked the fat off)
On lunch - it sounds like loads, but it was a small cup of soup and a ham sandwich, and I only managed to eat half the sandwich and the soup! I am so astounded, a few weeks ago I would have polished that off + ordered dessert! So I am totally making progress :D

Snack
Persimmon (speed or free? Not sure!)
Muller light

Dinner
Chicken (free)
Bacon (free)
Mixed salad (speed)

Total syns: 15.5 :oops:

Sunday

Lunch
Mixed salad (speed)
Beetroot (speed)
Celery (speed)
Tomato (speed)
Balsamic vinegar (free)
Cottage cheese (free)
Pickle (free)
Pickled onion (free)

Snack
Persimmon (free/speed not sure)
Apple (speed)
Banana (free)
Grapes (free)
Bread (hexb) with honey (2 syns for 2tsp) and lurpack lighter (1.5 syns)

Dinner
Steak (free)
Potato (free)
Cheese - 25g cheddar (hexa)
Olive oil spray (1 syn)
Spring onions (speed)
Green beans (speed)

Syns: 4.5

Monday

Breakfast
Wheatabix (hexb) with milk (hexa) and banana (free)

Lunch
Mixed salad (speed)
Beetroot (speed)
Celery (speed)
Tomato (speed)
Balsamic vinegar (free)
Cottage cheese (free)
Pickle (free)
Pickled onion (free)
Hifi bar (3 syns)

Dinner
Pasta (free)
Chicken (free)
Onion (speed)
Garlic (speed)
Pepper (speed)
Green beans (speed)
Olive oil spray (1 syn)
Fat free fromage frais (free)

Snack
Muller light fruitopolis (1/2 syn)

Total syns: 4.5

Tuesday

Breakfast
Grapefruit (speed)
Banana (free)
Sugar (1tsp 1syn)

Lunch
Pasta (free)
Tuna (free)
Mixed salad (free)
Salad dressing (low fat 1 syn)

Dinner
Cheese toastie (bread hexb and cheese hexa, lurpack lighter 1.5 syns)
Bacon (free)
Tomato ketchup (1 syn)

Snack
Hifi bar (3 syns)
Tea with honey (1 syn)

Total syns: 8.5syns

So...I've been trying to count up more syns. I'm still annoyed I haven't lost more weight (weighed myself for the work weigh in challenge and I have not lost any more :mad:) I also couldn't run very well today - only did 1.5 miles run walk instead of the planned 3 *sigh* the weightloss will kick in eventually - simple thermodynamics. But grrrrrrr...

Looking good :) Persimmons are free foods so you know now :) I'm not sure how much you have to loose, I don't think I've seen any stats written within your diary. If you don't have much to loose it will be slower to go. I have lost almost 50lbs and still have 20 odd to go. The biggest loss I have had other than first weeks is 2lb and I had a lot to loose. I am a very slow looser. Remember, 1- 2lb is a healthy loss for your body. Stick to your weighing day...your weight fluctuates from day to day anyway so just because the scales say you've stayed the same does not necessarily mean you have not lost chick...you still have 3 days until Saturday to go, stick at it and see what Saturday brings. Good Luck :)

I have got loads to lose too - in 200lbs (14st 5) want to get down to 140lbs (10st) - I'm 5'5", so I'm not even tall heh. I'm trying to be logical and think "well, I am eating a lot less than previously, and I wasn't ballooning every day, so I must lose weight eventually...." but it is annoying. Especially as from Jan 4th to Jan 12th (I think it was haha) I lost 6lbs all in one go :/ clearly that was my weightloss for the month lol

And yay persimmon knowledge :D I love them so much, sad they aren't speed, but probably because they are so delicious I could eat my weight in them :D

Last edited:
:) Similar amount to me really. Stick at it..it does work. Oh and don't forget when people get big losses the first week a lot of that is just fluids. Do some looking into recipes...keep your meals varied and remember your 1/3 speed with every meal..even if you have to have fruit and yogurt after to get it in. Make sure you keep using your syns and HEX's especially your B choice to make sure yo are getting your fibre in. Feel free to have a look at my diary. Don't let the 40+ pages put you off...lol.. You can pick up my story so far etc from the first post on page 37 :)

Gemsta said it all.

I have the same goal weight as you. But like that I find myself loosing anything from .5lbs to 5.5lbs in a week. It carries as well depending on my time of month. Like I could of have a good week and then gain. But the next week loose 3 or 4, so do not beat yourself up a 2lb is amazing.

Hi peeps! Does anyone know the syns in a Lamb Tikka Starter? And a Chicken Dopiaza? I have spent ages online trying to find out! Having takeaway tomorrow & determined to stay on track!

Anywhere between 7 and 12 syns for 400g for the Dopiaza as for the Lamb I have no idea. The thing with Indians is they vary sooo much in how they cook it. You can always ask them to cook it ghee free. Or switch your dishes...have the Chciken Tikka Starter (Dry) this would be very minimal syn wise and then have a Lamb Rogan Josh with boiled rice and this would be just 6.5 syns, or....just have what you like! Flexi syn within your week and allow a good 30 syns and enjoy it :) Hope this helps x

Anywhere between 7 and 12 syns for 400g for the Dopiaza as for the Lamb I have no idea. The thing with Indians is they vary sooo much in how they cook it. You can always ask them to cook it ghee free. Or switch your dishes...have the Chciken Tikka Starter (Dry) this would be very minimal syn wise and then have a Lamb Rogan Josh with boiled rice and this would be just 6.5 syns, or....just have what you like! Flexi syn within your week and allow a good 30 syns and enjoy it :) Hope this helps x
Thank you Gemsta..my favourite is Jalfrezi & I think as long as I avoid Creamy dishes, which luckily I'm not keen on anyway! I think I will b ok..can't wait yum!

Monday night already! Time to log my food!

Breakfast
  • 2 x wheatabix (Hexb)
  • 200ml skimmed milk (Hexa)
  • Coffee w/ milk (rest of Hexa)
  • Banana (sp)
  • 1tbsp fage total 0 yogurt (free)
Lunch
  • Pasta (free)
  • Mixed salad (sp) (lettuce, carrot, red cabbage, and corn)
  • 1/2 tin tuna (free)
  • 1tbsp low fat dressing (1 syn)
Snack
  • 2 satsumas (sp)
Dinner
  • Sweet potato "fries" made in actifrier (w/ 1tsp of oil) (1.5 syns)
  • Steak (free)
  • Green beans (sp)
  • Onion (sp)
  • 1/2 large mushroom (sp)
  • 1tbsp Light mayo (2 syns)
Snack/Dessert
  • 1 pot Brooklea fat free layered Greek style yogurt (free)
Total syns: 4.5syns

:D I am loving this diet. I did a calorie count of my day - 1250ish (at an estimate) and I am so full and satisfied! While calorie counting, I'd still be starving and feel like I was missing out, but on this diet I feel amazing.

I also went for a 2 mile walk today, even though it was raining. Woooo! Feeling amazing :D
Yeah syns are important. I found I was eating so much free food at the start I wasn't eating as many syns. But then I figured you don't feel like your on a diet when you have that scoop of butter on your potatoes or that bag of crisps etc. They help me stay on plan. I make up syn bags. So I have ones for 5 syns of treats, 10 syns and the 15. So things like 3.5 syn crisps, mini bars, celebrations leftover from Christmas etc.

Don't worry anyway you'll get the hang of it and you have us all here for support. If If

Good idea about the syn bags:D

Ooo that's an idea, I might syn on luxury coffee when I fancy it (I have a machine that froths milk for cappuccinos... Mmmm <3). I think I'm going to try and make some daal this week too, which does use oil (otherwise the aromatics of the spices don't release) and a portion has around 3syns (from my calculations!). I love daal, so that could be something I use them on.

I'm coming off of calorie counting so I'm a bit nervous to endulge myself. I've lost and then regained so much weight in the past, I've just got this little nagging voice in the back of my head telling me I'm going to fail again (stupid voice!), so then I get paranoid eating anything "bad".

I've lost 6-8lbs though recently (started dieting/watching my intake on the 4th of Jan) so I'm doing something right, and slimming world is so much better than calorie counting :)

Hi, reading your diary is definitely convincing me that I need to switch to slimming world :D

Back