Starting in the New Year - ROLL CALL

oh dear.
Fell off last night in a big way. Ate 2 slices of pizza, some microwave popcorn - NOT the healthy type. And some ice cream and sweets. URGH.
Am gutted but am going to start again today and hopefully move on from there. Have weighed myself and am still at 11lbs loss so that's ok I guess. I just need to get back into Ketosis!
Hope you're all surviving!
xxxx
L

Oh dear - well at least you are back on it today! I am doing my best to stay strong, today has been easier as the hunger has subsided somewhat although I am craving food (even though I'm not hungry, I guess this is my problem, I eat even when I'm not hungry as I crave naughty treats).

I'll be sticking to it thought and not giving in - day 4 today, only 2 more days til WI on Sunday and I want to see a good result!

xx

I have been very lucky, appear to have not gained anything extra and am still in ketosis somehow.
Am feeling hungry though, hopefully it will just progress and I will stop feeling hungry soon!
Hope everyone is doing great!
xxx
L

That's lucky - lol no idea how you are still in ketosis with all those carbs but it's a good think if you are! Keep glugging that water and it'll help you feel less hungry.

How are you feeling today hun?

xx

Hey sweet - good to see a familiar face! How are you chick :)

Married life treating me well thanks, although I'm 4 months away from finishing my Masters so am spending a lot of time working at the moment and not much having fun :( but once this is over hopefully we will be able to do lots of stuff together.

How are you feeling back on CD? What led you to choose it again?

xxx

Masters will be done before you know it just in time for the summer.

I'm good thanks in ketosis now but dealing with some strong emotional hunger grrrrrr!!!!

Am back on CD till the end of the month to slim down for a big party then hopefully lose the last bit with something else, have got a clear run of no social stuff so only really need to get to goal for the summer, I'm thinking hopefully because theres no stress to be somewhere for a certian date, if I have a blip I won't consider it the end of the world.

Hows the weather your end never known it like this on the south before.

Thanks hun - that sounds like a good plan to me!

Its pretty bad here. We sprung a leak and the plumber who came to fix it said he's got stuck FIVE TIMES yesterday and his colleague who came to help out here got stuck on the way home... the weather is that bad!

I haven't been on the roads at all since Tuesday - have to brave them for work tomorrow... am very scared!

I'm planning to get to my goal of 10.7 with CD then any extra after that will be on another diet plan. So I have 2 stone 3lbs to go based on todays scale reading. Am hoping to get a total of 1st 7lbs of this month, 1st in Feb and the last bit in March. Might have 2 planned nights off around Valentines day as it's my brothers 21st and we're going to London. Still not sure if I will actually take the nights off though or whether I'll just go 810 for those days. Decisions decisions!

xx

Hi Ladies,

Your stories sound a bit like mine. Lost about 5 stone in 2008 on Lighter Life. Kept it off for some months, stopped exercsing last year when we had the snow days... then slowly started gaining it back. Got to where I was 2 stone up -- and decided I had to do something. Tried LighterLife Lite, but just wasn't "feeling it" -- and I preferred the simple "no food" option of SSing. Looked into CD, and discovered that the American version (which is not afiliated and is fomulated differently) offers a Soy based product (called Food for Life). So, I started using that, but on an 810 plan more or less (after a short ssing start) back in November. I got some weight off, then took a break but was careful over Christmas (still put on about 4.5 pounds). Now, I am back totally committed and SSing until goal -- I started on the 4th, am in ketosis and have lost 5 pounds, so far.

I agree with Lucyloop -- the American CD does not have the same varieties or options, but you can try the recipes for the shakes, etc. on this website and in the materials that come with your inital food (if you bought the "starter pack"). So, far it is working for me... very cold, but am always cold when in ketosis and the weather here in teh UK certainly does not help at the moment.

Here's to successfully completing our restarts, reaching goal and staying there in 2010!

MM

Last edited:
Hey minniemel! Welcome to our motley crew! I'm a bit confused - are you in UK or US (cos your profile to the left says you're in Cambs)? And are you doing UK Cambridge SS or something different?

Sorry for all the questions xx

Hi WBS --

Thanks for welcoming me and thanks for the questions. I'm a talker or should I say "typer". LOL

I live in Cambs. near Huntingdon the cultural capital of the UK, NOT!. I have lived in Europe for 15 years! (England 1994-86 near Oxford, Germany 1996 to 2003 west of Heidelburg, and Huntingdonshire 2003 to present.)

I am American, married to an American (our 23rd anniversary isn tomorrow!), have 2 kids (one 18 male at Uni in Florida and the other 10 female and at a local C of E school), I worked part-time for the past 2 years at a British Secondary School but got fed up with the working conditions and my last day was Dec. 17-- so now I will get my house sorted, crafts worked on, continue more volunteering (and if some sort of employment presents itself that will work for me, then I'd love to have a job and will miss the extra money -- not that I was making very much).

I am doing the Cambridge Diet from the US.
It is (believe it or not) the original Cambridge Diet, they sold the name rights to the UK company but the formulas are different based on USDA and EU requirements. I can order it from the States and have it sent customs exempt and pay only US postage to New York, because my husband works under US gov't contract.

I went with the US product not because it is less expensive, once you add in shipping costs the difference is neligible and you do not have the local counsellor support :( -- but because they have a soy based product (Food for Life).

I tried finding a soy based one in the UK with no success. This still has some lactose, but not much. I found that when I was on LL, I had (a bit personal here) a lot of wind and other issues related to this. With the soy based I have no problems at all, and now that I am in ketosis -- other than feeling cold -- I feel great. Better than before the SSing.

What are you thinking of moving on to for a diet plan after you get to 10.7? Have you ever heard of the South Beach Diet? It isn ot a fad diet at all -- it was developed by a cardiologist for his heart patients to improve their health and one of the "side effects" was weight loss. So, it has become very popular and works well for losing and then maintaining if you stick to the programme.

MM

Aha, all is now clear! Thanks for taking the time to answer me :) it makes sense why you opted to do the US version if the cost is similar for you... did you know that CD in the UK now have lactose free (i.e. soya based) products? Some of the soups and shakes etc are now made lactose free because people who were dairy allergic couldn't do the diet before! Just something to think about :) although the full range isn't lactose free...

I'm not sure what I'll do. I think I will move up the CD steps when I reach 10.7, with a view to getting down to 10 stone by the time that is over. Then when I'm onto "maintenance" I am thinking of doing Slimming World as I don't want to do low carbs forever, and I really enjoy SW... just find that my losses are slow. Then when I've lost another bit with that I will either use it for maintenance (unlikely) or calorie count (more likely)...

Nothing has been set in stone yet, we shall see what happens. I have looked into the SBD before but it doesn't sound like my kettle of fish to be honest

xxx

Hi WBS -- Some of the SBD recipes are quite good, but it is difficult it is so low carb. And, when you blip you gain fast.

I tried SW years ago (the first time I lived in the UK), but the person I was going with quit, so I did too. I liked Weight Watchers but it changed a lot and it isn't the same. I'm not sure what I'll do when I've gotten to goal, then a bit below -- but I do want to go through the steps. I think it is important to relearn eating and food management. I quit Management when I did LL (again the person I was going with quit) -- and thought I'd do it on my own. I did for a time, and then it just slipped away... and weight slid back on. It was so easy.

MM

Slimming World is good, you can eat "free foods" until you are full, and there are "healthy extras" and "syns" so you can still have a little bit of the slightly less healthy things. It's a good principle I think - eat the good stuff, ration the less good stuff, and they have a new thing where if you are going out and know you'll need to eat more syns, you can set yourself a limit to stick to - so, say 25 syns, and then you try and stick to it... that way, you can limit the damage and not feel guilty. Slimming World has changed a lot too - might be worth looking into (I first did it in 2006 and then again at the end of 2008, and even in that time it had changed a fair bit for the better imho).

Don't like the fact that with WW you can only eat a set amount of points worth of food, and you always have to work out the values of everything. Too much hassle for me, although I did do ok on it, I don't think I could work like that forever!

Yeah I agree the steps are very important to ensure no carb gain and that good habits are learned after the period of VLCDing! xx

well, here we go again. I did CD last summer (08) and lost the last bit of my 7 stone 10 loss (2 and a half on CD - the first bit over years at WW!!) but I had surgery to my knee in March and am now registered disabled and BANG fell off the wagon, massively ... managed to maintain with a stone and a half on over the summer, but since Oct I have put on two more, so am now ssing, finding it really really hard this time. I am now day four and still really hungry, felt sick this morning and light headed, hopefully ketosis will kick in tomorrow and make things easier. I ate up what was left of the packs from last Feb, then started properly on Sat ... counting down to slimdom xxx

Welcome Dogtanion -- I am sure it'll get easier when the ketosis kicks in (at least I hope so). The extra weight must be very hard on your poorly knee. But, it is a "Catch 22" -- injured knee makes it hard to exercise, no exercise makes it easy to gain weight -- which is bad for knee. My dad has had two knee replacements and really struggles with this conflict.

Good Luck. MM

Last edited:
Hey Dogtanion, I remember you from 2008, welcome back. Sorry to hear about your knee.

Stay strong, you can do it! xx

Congratulation - it's a fab loss xxx

That is a fantastic loss -- you must be feeling pretty good. Congrats!

MM

Back