Susie and Orbit's daily dribble

Morning all :)

Well today sees me start the new woe proper. It doesn't have any particular aims except lots more veg, nothing processed and no preservatives. Will mean a lot less fat and protein than Atkins, less calories (1500 a day for now) and a lot more carbs, but hopefully I'll end up with more energy.

Made a squash and courgette curry last night - good lord there's enough of it for days! And I put too much curry powder in so it's overly "tasty" LOL - but nice - and not a single additive :)

Here's today's menu - let me know if this gets too annoying for you -

B - unsweetened muesli, orange yoghurt, soya milk, soya latte
L - chicken and lettuce salad with mayo
D - veg curry and brown rice
S - apple, pear

Had a really interesting chat with a winemaker at a party I went to yesterday. I was boring him with my allergy/rhinitis joy and he said I should do some research into sulphites because they exacerbate allergies. Apparently sulphites occur naturally in stuff but are added by the bucketload to a load of things, including wine! And it's the sulphites that give you a hangover :eek: A site called Goodwine imports a lot of no additive wine, it's more £££ than the supermarket, about £10 a bottle, but might be worth trying.

Have a lovely day, the sun is beautiful here today! :D

Morning Susie... Interesting sulphite info xxx

Sounds yummy Susie, and a bit Harcombe in a way - hope it works for you xxx

I had the most horrendous head on Saturday morning after red wine, and not a lot of it either, didn't enjoy that at all!!

don't know Susie, it doesn't usually bother me that way but I haven't had red for a couple of weeks............

I was completely zombie'd on Saturday morning after 2 glasses of wine with nsu1 ... I just can't manage it these days xx

Menu sounds scrumptious Susie. I like your woe.

I know what you mean about the sulphites in wine, with certain ones, my nose gets immediately all stuffed up, doesn't stop me drinking it though.:D

Hi Susie, hope that your new woe works for you sweetie:). I'm suffering a bit from the tree pollen - but will survive!
Excited to see you again;)

Thanks all - observations so far at the end of Day 1...

I must say I'm really enjoying researching recipes, cooking and of course eating the food :D Also busy being a label detective, keeping an eye out for added salt and preservatives, etc. Even cans of beans (borlotti, etc) have stabilisers added, so I will have to either plan ahead to soak beans or buy more expensive organic ones in water. One thing I've noticed is that the Tesco Value brand for lots of products is almost always the lowest in sugar, salt, fat and calories - and the cheapest too! :D

As a woe it doesn't fill you up like Atkins does, and I'm trying to keep my portions sizes down - so tbh I feel vaguely hungry not long after I've eaten. In the past I've always just reached for food to fill whatever gap I think is there - but will try to resist (or have a piece of fruit) and of course will keep downing the water! :)

I've also started a course of Now Slim Day and Night tablets - not because they are slimming things but because I wanted to boost my essential amino acids and they are chocka full of them. Not sure if it's all in my mind but felt more energetic walking to the bus tonight.

Big cooking adventures this week and weekend are to make my own roasted tomato sauce (thanks Hugh F-W :)) for homemade pizzas on pitta bread, courgette lasagne, moroccan cauli and almond soup and an aubergine and tomato bake. All to go in the freezer (if there's room!) so i can use everything I buy in my fortnightly shop and not end up chucking food out.

Hayfever is definitely not as bad as last week, so all good there. Going to give alcohol a miss this week (except for a big farewell party this Friday) and see if the nose continues to be better - and then maybe try some of the Good Wine stuff.

Feeling quite virtuous so far :D

Ugh - mine too. Couldn't even get to the shower this morning before taking an antihystamine:(

Hopefully it will all be over in one big burst this year!

Morning all - and sorry to hear about the hayfever, touch wood so far mine is Ok this week.

Day 2 and I'm a sneaky 2lbs down, probably water weight as I only had about 5 glasses.

Menu today -

B - muesli, banana, yoghurt
L - same as yesterday, chicken with lettuce and spinach
D - not sure as I'm going to the theatre so will grab something in Blackheath

Interesting new layout here! Have a good day all.

Back