Susie and Orbit's daily dribble

All this talk about bread is making me hungry.....I don't have a breadmaker but would be very interested in any bread you try that don't need a breadmaker. I don't want to buy one as I would end up making bread for the family, and freshly made bread is very hard to resist.

Hi Sammy

There's a nice flax bread recipe that Katie posted ages ago - here's the recipe on her blog - Flax bread - Lowcarb Kat1e

I'd bake it rather than microwave it, seems a better texture to me. There's other nice recipes there too.

Well ladies I am pink with excitement - booked not one but two holidays in November! I got an email telling me about a special cruise/stay deal - so fly to Barcelona, have two nights there, then cruise round the Med for four days (including Marseilles, one of my favourite places), then to Genoa for a night - with flights and a balcony room, plus single supplement for a bargain price (pm me if you'd like to know more, I don't want the mods to think I'm promoting it LOL). Then I'm training it from Genoa to Pescara and going on a three day tour of the Abruzzo - which is where I'd like to buy eventually.

Exciting eh!!! Even heard straight back from the cat sitters, who are booked in - so we are good to go :D

^^^^^^^ wow!! Sounds like its gonna be magical Suse!! Wow! Well done on you Hun I'm sure you deserve it x.

Hi, love the sound of that holiday, it us great to have something to look forward to. I love Italy.

Morning all - in a bit of a rush as I've got a film crew here - nothing glam today, it's to sell the building to corporates for venue hire :)

Did you make the bread?

No hun was over-run by visitors - but am hoping to get into the kitchen this week.

Speak later cherubs xxx

Morning all

Filming all done, and now I'm having a nice quiet day here today :)

Nothing to tell on the eating front (except that there is lot of it going on) - although I have confirmed via online surveys and a quick visit to the GP, that I am gluten sensitive. So no more bran or oats or wheat, and just need to do a little clean out of the cupboards and it's back to low carb for me.

Hope you're all keeping dry.

Morning Susie, so sounds like Atkins is the one for you then. Did you get to star in the film?

Yep Jim, sounds like it is :) Will start next Monday, so getting a grocery order on the weekend so i can cook up some brekkie muffins and stuff like that.

And lol no I wasn't the star of the film, it's to pitch our buildings as conferences venues, so a colleague did the voiceover and a piece to camera, I was the power behind the camera :D

Well morning all, this changeable weather is giving me the worst hayfever - but on the very good news front, my solicitor says that subject to one small question about the survey, she thinks we might exchange in two weeks Oh My Giddy Aunt!!! So, three and a half years after I put my first offer in, Flat # 9 could actually go through! I'm actually feeling brave enough to plan out the kitchen :D

Wow susie, I am so envious of your holiday plans, sounds amazing! Hope you have an amazing time! I love the idea of making my own low carb bread but Id be tempted to just make a normal loaf ;)

Morning hun - I'll experiment with a few different l/c recipes and post any successes :)

And thanks re the holiday - Costa Cruises are SO organised, you register online and you can see all the excursions, all the menus, where the cabin is, etc - I'm very impressed with it :) Got a bit giggly with the excitement of it all last night, actually hehehe :D

Brilliant news on the flat Susie. Keeping everything crossed for you!

Are you cutting out all grains/gluten, or cutting down? I am wondering if I will need to be really hard-core and get rid of things like oxo cubes, tomato ketchup etc. (Staying on WW) Wheat is just about everywhere! Did they do a blood test at the Dr's, or go by your described symptoms. Sorry - sounds a bit like an interrogation, but am very interested, being in a similar situation!

I did an online survey first, Moonie, then went to discuss the findings with my GP.

He suggests cutting back for a bit to see how I get on. The way wheat affects me is annoying but not massively life worsening - disrupted sleep, eczema, the occasional boil (bleurgh - he links them directly to carbs, which I'd not done), very painful gas and rock hard swollen tum - the usual sort of thing.

The trouble for me is that gluten free doesn't always mean low carb - so I would appreciate any help or advice you've all got!

I told the GP my huge downfall was bread, so he thinks I should make lowish carb bread, which won't be induction level but should help to get me through my bread-related crises.

The other things you mention, like oxo cubes and ketchup -) tbh I don't have much of that in the house anyway. I've just given away some bran flakes, oats, rice and dried pasta (can't bear throwing away food) and the cupboards aren't looking too bad. I also had almond flour and Flex Flax leftover and have bought chickpea and coconut flour, had plenty of coconut oil and EVOO, had moved to almond and soya milk - so really, I'm more or less there. Will go back to the Alpro soya yogurt until I can try making my own, and then it's back to having a freezer full of protein :)

Wow Susie, good on the flat front. Can't believe it's been over 3 1/2 years!!

If I don't have a loss this week, it's low carb for me too until my holiday.

Good to know where you stand with the gluten. I'm wheat sensitive, but don't every get pains etc so maybe just wheat for me.

I love the site healthy supplies and of course jealous you have such a fab whole foods store in London :)

Wow Susie, good on the flat front. Can't believe it's been over 3 1/2 years!!

I know - it has been a mad and crazy ride! And you all had to experience it with me :D

If I don't have a loss this week, it's low carb for me too until my holiday....I love the site healthy supplies and of course jealous you have such a fab whole foods store in London :)

Goodie we can be l/c together :) Luckily I have a fab Sheels pharmacy and health food store about 5 minutes down the road :)

At least your getting to the bottom of it all - that must be a relief. Shocked st the blisters and things the doc attributed to it.

Seems like your fully loaded and ready to go. Pistols at dawn style! Lol.

Well done and everytging crossed for ya on sorting the flat Hun. XxX

I did an online survey first, Moonie, then went to discuss the findings with my GP.

He suggests cutting back for a bit to see how I get on. The way wheat affects me is annoying but not massively life worsening - disrupted sleep, eczema, the occasional boil (bleurgh - he links them directly to carbs, which I'd not done), very painful gas and rock hard swollen tum - the usual sort of thing.

The trouble for me is that gluten free doesn't always mean low carb - so I would appreciate any help or advice you've all got!

I told the GP my huge downfall was bread, so he thinks I should make lowish carb bread, which won't be induction level but should help to get me through my bread-related crises.

The other things you mention, like oxo cubes and ketchup -) tbh I don't have much of that in the house anyway. I've just given away some bran flakes, oats, rice and dried pasta (can't bear throwing away food) and the cupboards aren't looking too bad. I also had almond flour and Flex Flax leftover and have bought chickpea and coconut flour, had plenty of coconut oil and EVOO, had moved to almond and soya milk - so really, I'm more or less there. Will go back to the Alpro soya yogurt until I can try making my own, and then it's back to having a freezer full of protein :)

Sounds like you're well prepared there Susie. If I try out any successful bread recipes etc I will let you know. I won't be low carbing as such as I'm going to be on WW, but I think there will be a carb reduction anyway. I used to make variations of the flax bread on induction, but tbh wasn't that keen on the flax taste, unless it was turned into a very herby/garlic loaf to cover the flax flavour!

Last edited:
Thanks Moonie :)

Afternoon all

Am lucky enough to be working from home on this lovely day, and I'm even managing to do some work lol. After my carb overload yesterday, I've been paying for it ever since :eek: so it's nice that all the bosses are away and I can loll about in my PJs in comfort :D

Did one last clear out of the cupboard and three boxes of cookies will go in to the office tomorrow, as well as the last bags of pasta, rice and rice cakes (i work with a guy who is veggie and he's happy to take them). The big low carb shop arrives on Saturday afternoon and for a change I've got no visitors or anything planned this weekend, so can get stuck in and make up meals for the week. Thought I might make all the breakfasts up - bacon and egg muffins, a couple of omelettes and some plain bacon and eggs, then freeze them in little freezer bags, ready to be defrosted the night before.

Last edited:
Back